Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Allacrost Demo Public Release

Let our staff know what you think about the game and suggest improvements

Moderator: Staff

gorzuate
Developer

Allacrost Demo Public Release

Post by gorzuate » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:56 pm

Hello there! We are finally releasing a demo for Hero of Allacrost. Please go to the website to get it! For those of you that helped us test it, we've included some of your suggestions.

Praise and critiques are welcome! Please post in this thread if you have any.

If you experience a problem compiling, building, installing, or running the demo, post here and let us know about it. It would help if you could copy and paste the template below into your post to make it easier to identify and resolve your issue. Thanks!

Code: Select all

===========================================================
[b]Problem Type[/b]
(Select from: Compiling, Installing, Running)

[b]Frequency of Problem Occurence[/b]
(Select from: Rarely, Frequently, Always)

[b]My Operating System[/b]
> (Be as specific as possible. "Windows" is not very specific)

[b]Problem Description[/b]

[b]Additional Notes[/b]

=========================================================== 

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:21 am

gorzuate wrote:Praise and critiques are welcome! Please post in this thread if you have any.
Newbie's impressions:

I think it's a fair expectation to be able to navigate the main menus without reading any manuals first. So at least having something like the usual esc and enter as additional confirm and cancel keys would make some sense to me.

When I had random encounters on (before I accidentally toggled them off) they seemed to occur way too often: about on every third or fourth step, almost.

Otherwise...well, it's hard to say much since there isn't much in the demo (ok ok, it is a tech demo, but I was still expecting there to be a little bit more than the cave). The title and cave musics are very good and the existing graphics are fine (I'm assuming that basic combat animations for at least PC's will come at some point).

I hope you build a good game on top of this eventually. :)
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:56 am

Thanks for the comments.

The basic point of this tech demo is to prove to potential artists that might be interested in joining the team, that we're not the usual bunch of 14-year olds who've just graduated from RPGMaker XP, and think they can actually code a real game in a real programming language. And then fail several months down the line, with a smear of broken promises, and a bunch of other drama. This tech demo says "Hey, we're professional about coding. We have all the basic components of gameplay in a useable state, and here is the proof. We're the Real McCoy™."

So yes, as far actual content goes, it's crap, but having content was never the intent - we just wanted to prove the engine was "for real", and not vaporware.
I hope you build a good game on top of this eventually.
Oh. We will. :devil:
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:22 am

If its any compensation, I'm probably the person that is the least happy with the demo. :heh: But if we just kept holding it back until we had something "worth playing", well...we held ourselves back for a year already! :heh: If you look at our first set of screenshots on the site, they were not very good. When we released the second set, they were an enormous leap over the first. The plan is to do the same thing with the second demo. ;) :approve:

And yes, we're aware of the unintuitive key mapping problem. It just doesn't make sense to make enter be confirm, and space be cancel, and whatever because there are four directional keys and six primary control keys, and they all need to be within reach. Hence the asdf + arrow keys configuration.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:52 am

Problem Type
Running

Frequency of Problem Occurence
Always

My Operating System
Gentoo Linux, very up to date (so, using one of the latest kernel, SDL, drivers, etc), nvidia 7600gs card

Problem Description
the binary simply dies with
ERROR: unable to initialize VideoManager

Additional Notes
I don't think there is a problem on my end, as i've been playing various games with this system without any issue, so probably an error in the code. If you want/need more information, i'll try to provide it.
Steu
Developer

Post by Steu » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:06 pm

Anonymous wrote:Problem Type
Running

Always

My Operating System
Gentoo Linux, very up to date (so, using one of the latest kernel, SDL, drivers, etc), nvidia 7600gs card

Problem Description

Additional Notes
I don't think there is a problem on my end, as i've been playing various games with this system without any issue, so probably an error in the code. If you want/need more information, i'll try to provide it.
Can you run it with allacrost -d all, this turns on all debugging information. With that can you post the output, hopefully that will give us more information to sort out the problem
bobobo

Post by bobobo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:16 pm

I'm the guest from a few minutes ago, here is the debug output :

AUDIO: GameAudio constructor invoked
INPUT: GameInput constructor invoked
VIDEO: GameVideo constructor invoked
DATA: GameData constructor invoked.
SETTINGS: GameSystem constructor invoked
MODE MANAGER: GameModeManager constructor invoked
VIDEO: Initializing SDL subsystem
VIDEO: setting video mode
VIDEO: Loading default font
VIDEO ERROR: TTF_OpenFont() failed for filename:
img/fonts/tarnhalo.ttf
VIDEO ERROR: Could not load tarnhalo.ttf file!
MODE MANAGER: GameModeManager destructor invoked
AUDIO: GameAudio destructor invoked
INPUT: GameInput destructor invoked
SETTINGS: GameSystem destructor invoked
DATA: GameData destructor invoked.
VIDEO: GameVideo destructor invoked
(just in case i checked, the font is there)
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:25 pm

I wonder it this is a problem with a newer version of SDL_ttf? I run Gentoo as well and it works fine, but I haven't updated it for quite a while now :|
bobobo

Post by bobobo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:28 pm

Update:

I had ran the configure script like the following : ./configure prefix="somepathinmyhomedirectory/allacrost"

Thus, the game was installed in allacrost/bin (binary) and allacrost/share (data)

I'm running allacrost from the command line from the bin dir, it seems that the bin doesn't properly look in share for data. After running "mv ../share/* ." (moving everything from share in the bin dir) , the demo worked.
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:31 pm

bobobo wrote:Update:

I had ran the configure script like the following : ./configure prefix="somepathinmyhomedirectory/allacrost"

Thus, the game was installed in allacrost/bin (binary) and allacrost/share (data)

I'm running allacrost from the command line from the bin dir, it seems that the bin doesn't properly look in share for data. After running "mv ../share/* ." (moving everything from share in the bin dir) , the demo worked.
Ah yeah, we still need to work on the make install target :(
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:35 pm

I thought that we didn't even have an install target defined in our make setup yet? :huh: AFAIK, on Linux you have to invoke the binary from the directory where you ran ./configure && make, otherwise it won't be able to find any of the data files. I might be wrong though, I've kind of been out of it for the last week or so. :angel:
bojster

Post by bojster » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:46 pm

Here's the error I got when compiling (I have all the dependencies installed, apart from Qt4 - but I didn't enable the editor, either; also I tried with both --enable-optimize=yes and no, without any difference):

g++  -Wall    -o allacrost  main.o main_options.o utils.o system.o input.o mode_manager.o data.o global.o audio.o audio_sound.o audio_music.o draw.o effects.o fade.o gui.o image.o interpolator.o menu_window.o option.o particle_effect.o particle_manager.o particle_system.o shake.o tex_mgmt.o text.o textbox.o video.o battle.o battle_actors.o boot.o boot_menu.o boot_credits.o map.o map_actions.o map_dialogue.o map_objects.o menu.o menu_views.o pause.o quit.o scene.o  -lm -llualib -llua -lSDL_ttf -lSDL_mixer -lSDL -ljpeg -lpng -lGLU -lGL
tex_mgmt.o(.text+0x14df): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::_LoadRawImageJpeg(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, hoa_video::private_video::ImageLoadInfo&, bool)':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_std_error(jpeg_error_mgr*)'
tex_mgmt.o(.text+0x150d): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::_LoadRawImageJpeg(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, hoa_video::private_video::ImageLoadInfo&, bool)':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_CreateDecompress(jpeg_decompress_struct*, int, unsigned int)'
tex_mgmt.o(.text+0x151f): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::_LoadRawImageJpeg(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, hoa_video::private_video::ImageLoadInfo&, bool)':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_stdio_src(jpeg_decompress_struct*, _IO_FILE*)'
tex_mgmt.o(.text+0x1536): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::_LoadRawImageJpeg(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, hoa_video::private_video::ImageLoadInfo&, bool)':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_read_header(jpeg_decompress_struct*, int)'
tex_mgmt.o(.text+0x153e): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::_LoadRawImageJpeg(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, hoa_video::private_video::ImageLoadInfo&, bool)':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_start_decompress(jpeg_decompress_struct*)'
tex_mgmt.o(.text+0x15ff): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::_LoadRawImageJpeg(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, hoa_video::private_video::ImageLoadInfo&, bool)':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_read_scanlines(jpeg_decompress_struct*, unsigned char**, unsigned int)'
tex_mgmt.o(.text+0x1728): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::_LoadRawImageJpeg(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, hoa_video::private_video::ImageLoadInfo&, bool)':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_finish_decompress(jpeg_decompress_struct*)'
tex_mgmt.o(.text+0x1730): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::_LoadRawImageJpeg(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, hoa_video::private_video::ImageLoadInfo&, bool)':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_decompress(jpeg_decompress_struct*)'
video.o(.text+0x2a5): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::MakeScreenshot()':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_std_error(jpeg_error_mgr*)'
video.o(.text+0x2c5): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::MakeScreenshot()':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_CreateCompress(jpeg_compress_struct*, int, unsigned int)'
video.o(.text+0x306): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::MakeScreenshot()':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_stdio_dest(jpeg_compress_struct*, _IO_FILE*)'
video.o(.text+0x33b): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::MakeScreenshot()':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_set_defaults(jpeg_compress_struct*)'
video.o(.text+0x351): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::MakeScreenshot()':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_set_quality(jpeg_compress_struct*, int, int)'
video.o(.text+0x368): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::MakeScreenshot()':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_start_compress(jpeg_compress_struct*, int)'
video.o(.text+0x3be): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::MakeScreenshot()':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_write_scanlines(jpeg_compress_struct*, unsigned char**, unsigned int)'
video.o(.text+0x3c6): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::MakeScreenshot()':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_finish_compress(jpeg_compress_struct*)'
video.o(.text+0x3e2): In function `hoa_video::GameVideo::MakeScreenshot()':
: undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_compress(jpeg_compress_struct*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [allacrost] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/allacrost/allacrost-0.1.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Again: I have all the dependencies installed in their required versions, including libjpeg (libjpeg.so.62.0.0 compiled from jpegsrc.v6b). I wouldn't be surprised if the issue was with alut - I had many problems with that in the past, but I've never had any issues with jpeg...

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:34 pm

Running

Always

My Operating System

Problem Description

Additional Notes
i have the same problem. allacrost -d all gives:

VIDEO ERROR: SDL_SetVideoMode() failed in ApplySettings()!
VIDEO ERROR: ChangeMode() failed in GameVideo::SingletonInitialize()!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:36 pm

more info: i installed using the debian packages on a debian sid machine that was fully up to date
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 pm

The debian packages worked fine for me on my machine (running Debian unstable) and worked on ettin's (the packager) as well as far as I know. :huh:

gorzuate: perhaps we should point people to bugs.allacrost.org instead of using the forum as an ad-hoc mechanism? And perhaps any technical issue discussions should go...oh I don't know, in the technical issues forum instead of user feedback? :eyebrow:
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:14 pm

Not really a problem, but a suggestion for windows:

I can't play the game until I either get it full screen or at a lower resolution. By default, it goes to 1024x768 windowed, which means that the menus are all hidden beneath my start button. If I carefully navigate and move thigns around, I can adjust the settings, and everything then works fine. However, this is a tad annoying at start. Can we set it to default to 1 step lower resolution than what is presently on the desktop?

I tried breaking it otherwise, I really did. I just can't get the thing to break. I even ran my system out of memory, loaded up 50 tabs in firefox, ran reason, winampe, cubase, and photoshop in the background, and put on a dvd (vcl)... still wouldn't crash (it did slow down though). Works great even with my audio system, which is more than I can say for many modern games. Yay sdl and stable code!
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:40 pm

You know for a while I was like shew... will the day ever come that I see the game... :( But ya know, I admit that it had some kinks... (I thought it played rather slow... but that could be other reasons) I can't wait until you intilize the code for Claudius to walk though. It's pretty awesome... and I love the way the battle system works :)

Yet, is it me... or are the characters walking way way to fast... I got to talk to Vanica
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:36 am

Safir-Kreuz wrote:Yet, is it me... or are the characters walking way way to fast... I got to talk to Vanica
Possibly.

I think a related, and big issue is that dialogue is rather difficult to initiate. Compare it to, say Chrono Trigger, and it should be clear how much harder than "normal" it is. "Chasing people down" to talk to them should not be literal; it should only be in the "find out where they're at" sense. People running away from you as you try to talk to them is no fun.
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Running

Always

My Operating System

Problem Description

Additional Notes
i have the same problem. allacrost -d all gives:

Make sure you run the game from the directory in which you ran ./configure and make.

We still need to get it to work once it's actually installed :heh:
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:08 am

I ran it from the source folder but it doesn't work.

[jonathan@eleven allacrost-0.1.0]$ pwd     
/home/jonathan/download/game/allacrost-0.1.0
[jonathan@eleven allacrost-0.1.0]$ ./allacrost -d all