Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Allacrost Demo Public Release

Let our staff know what you think about the game and suggest improvements

Moderator: Staff

gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:06 pm

Everyone with jonathantan86's problem please run it with "./allacrost -i" and post the output here.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:55 am

I can't run allacrost on my linux box, I get :

Code: Select all

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
I am using lua 5.1 instead of 5.0, so I had to change in src/engine/data.cpp, line 64 the function lua_dofile to luaL_dofile.

./allacrost -i

===== System Information
SDL version (compiled):  1.2.9
SDL version (linked):    1.2.9
Number of joysticks found:  0

===== Video Information
SDL_ttf version (compiled): 2.0.7
Name of video driver: x11
  Best available video mode
    Creates hardware surfaces: no
    Has window manager available: yes
    Hardware to hardware blits accelerated: no
    Hardware to hardware colorkey blits accelerated: no
    Hardware to hardware alpha blits accelerated: no
    Software to hardware blits acceleerated: no
    Software to hardware colorkey blits accelerated: no
    Software to hardware alpha blits accelerated: no
    Color fills accelerated: no
    Total video memory: 0 kilobytes

===== Audio Information
SDL_mixer version (compiled): 1.2.6
SDL_mixer version (linked):   1.2.6
Number of playback channels:  2
Number of mixing channels:  8
Playback frequency:  22050
Playback format:  32784
Maximum volume:  128

./allacrost -d all
AUDIO: GameAudio constructor invoked
INPUT: GameInput constructor invoked
VIDEO: GameVideo constructor invoked
DATA: GameData constructor invoked.
SETTINGS: GameSystem constructor invoked
MODE MANAGER: GameModeManager constructor invoked
VIDEO: Initializing SDL subsystem
VIDEO: setting video mode
VIDEO: Loading default font
VIDEO: Creating texture sheets
VIDEO: Setting default menu cursor
VIDEO: Erasing the screen
VIDEO: GameVideo::SingletonInitialize() returned successfully
AUDIO: GameAudio constructor
MODE MANAGER: GameMode constructor invoked
BOOT: BootMode constructor invoked.

gdb ./allacrost
run
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 46912496291760 (LWP 21241)]
0x00000035d956db56 in _int_malloc () from /lib64/libc.so.6

bt

#0  0x00000035d956db56 in _int_malloc () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#1  0x00000035d956f29d in malloc () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#2  0x00000035d956f7fd in realloc () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#3  0x00000036b900f471 in lua_resume () from /usr/lib64/liblua-5.1.so
#4  0x00000036b900cd95 in lua_resume () from /usr/lib64/liblua-5.1.so
#5  0x00000036b9007ddf in lua_pushcclosure () from /usr/lib64/liblua-5.1.so
#6  0x00000036b9017a31 in luaL_openlib () from /usr/lib64/liblua-5.1.so
#7  0x00000036b9019757 in luaopen_debug () from /usr/lib64/liblua-5.1.so
#8  0x000000000040e266 in hoa_data::DataDescriptor::OpenFile ()
#9  0x000000000040e32d in hoa_data::DataDescriptor::OpenFile ()
#10 0x0000000000474586 in hoa_boot::BootMode::BootMode ()
#11 0x000000000040d98b in hoa_mode_manager::GameModeManager::SingletonInitialize ()
#12 0x0000000000407bd5 in main ()
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:38 am

Here you go.

[jonathan@eleven allacrost-0.1.0]$ ./allacrost -i

===== System Information
SDL version (compiled):  1.2.9
SDL version (linked):    1.2.9
Number of joysticks found:  0

===== Video Information
SDL_ttf version (compiled): 2.0.7

===== Audio Information
SDL_mixer version (compiled): 1.2.6
SDL_mixer version (linked):   1.2.6
Number of playback channels:  2
Number of mixing channels:  8
Playback frequency:  22050
Playback format:  32784
Maximum volume:  128

outside

Post by outside » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:57 pm

Here is my output:
===== System Information
SDL version (compiled): 1.2.11
SDL version (linked): 1.2.11
Number of joysticks found: 0

===== Video Information
SDL_ttf version (compiled): 2.0.8

===== Audio Information
SDL_mixer version (compiled): 1.2.7
SDL_mixer version (linked): 1.2.7
Number of playback channels: 2
Number of mixing channels: 8
Playback frequency: 22050
Playback format: 32784
Maximum volume: 128
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:43 am

outside, do you have problems running Allacrost? If not maybe the answer is to upgrade SDL.
outside

Post by outside » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:25 am

I am also getting a video error. In fact, my debugging output matches yours verbatim.

The current version of SDL that I'm using was installed by the allacrost port on freebsd, so I think the version is probably okay. I used to have 1.2.8 and it updated it to 1.2.11
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:45 am

Anonymous wrote:I can't run allacrost on my linux box, I get :

I am using lua 5.1 instead of 5.0, so I had to change in src/engine/data.cpp, line 64 the function lua_dofile to luaL_dofile.
We've heard that Lua 5.1 isn't backwards compatible with 5.0 (yes, strange... :eyebrow:). That's one reason we haven't upgraded to 5.1 yet, and so what I'm saying is I don't really know if doing the fix on line 64 like you mentioned will prevent the game from crashing.

I would recommend trying Lua 5.0.*.
visage
Former Staff

Post by visage » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:48 am

I tried to create a Lua 5.1 build and ran into a lot of issues with missing functions. As gorzuate said, I would recommend just using 5.0 for now until we upgrade.
outside

Post by outside » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:40 pm

I am now able to run the game.

===============================================
Problem Type
Running

Frequency of Problem Occurence
Always

My Operating System
freebsd 6.0

Problem Description
There is a noticeable delay in the time it takes for the program to respond to input.

Additional Notes
The delay is a different length in different situations. For example, on the main menu, if I press an arrow key, it takes about 1 second before the the icon moves to a different option.

When I enter the game, and try to move Claudius, it takes about 3 seconds before he moves in response to input from an arrow key.

I should also mention that the clockspeed of my machine is decent (> 1ghz).

===============================================
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:19 pm

I think I already know what you're going to answer, but it never hurts to ask :angel:

How much RAM do you have? How many other apps (perhaps memory-intensive ones) were you running at the time?
outside

Post by outside » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:22 pm

I have about 150 mb free when I run it,
and Allacrost takes about 14 mb.

It doesn't appear to be too cpu intensive either, because I'm not at 100% capacity.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:28 pm

outside wrote:I have about 150 mb free when I run it,
and Allacrost takes about 14 mb.

It doesn't appear to be too cpu intensive either, because I'm not at 100% capacity.
That's not good. Allacrost -is- CPU intensive. Unless you have the game paused, it will try to consume as much CPU time as it can. Allacrost always tops my CPU out at 100% when I play it.... :huh:
outside

Post by outside » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Oh I see, its using 50 user and 50 system. I didn't notice that before.
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:20 am

I think there is a problem with the mirror on sourceforge. How come we only have one mirror? It does not seem to be downloading.
Platyna

Post by Platyna » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:13 am

Graphics is very nice and quite fast, anyway combat and controls are definately to be changed.

Regards.
Zuzanna K. Filutowska
Forum about RPG/misc: http://forum.elite.t28.net/
What does not destroy me, makes me stronger. -- F. Nietzsche
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:10 pm

Platyna wrote:Graphics is very nice and quite fast, anyway combat and controls are definately to be changed.

Regards.
Combat, yes, more animation needed there.

Controls will stay the same, but the user will be presented with a pop-up box (first time game is run) saying what they are and given the option to change them if they so wish.

Re: Sourceforge mirror... I have no clue.
Viliam
Contributor

Post by Viliam » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:24 pm

Problem Type
Running

Frequency of Problem Occurence
Always... until I solved it ;-)

My Operating System
Windows XP

Problem Description
The game was running with very low FPS... it was almost imposible to initiate dialog with some person, because they just jumped like 5 meters and then disappeared. This was solved by installing new graphic card driver.

Additional Notes
A few months ago, I have downloaded the 0.1.0 demo, and started it. The intro page had sufficient frames per second, but when the game started, it was terribly low. The game was completely unplayable. I was not able to solve this problem. I was having similar problems with other games using OpenGL, so I was suspecting this is the cause.

Previously I have tested the driver provided on the CD with hardware (NVidia GeForce FX 5500), and the Microsoft driver. I decided for the second one... I do not remember why, and I am not going to re-install it again, just to find out. So I just guess... There is one thing I really hate about the drivers provided by hardware manufacturers -- they usually try to push you a lot of software you completely do not need. When I install a graphics card, I want a driver; nothing more! But the hardware manufacturers love to provide many additional programs, which are typically started in the OS boot sequence, so they prolong the booting, waste resources, often are displayed in traybar, and it is almost impossible to get rid of them. Yeah, they probably think that their precious hardware is the only important piece of your computer, so you want to devote all your disk and time to test millions of settings, and use all those great free (as in beer) applications they decided to burn on CD, because there was 700 MB empty space, and they felt the urge to fill it up. Often the installation procedure is so unobvious that you are never sure which parts you have to install, and which are optional -- which will improve the hardware performance, and which will only sit in traybar and consume computer resources. Well, I guess the original CD did something like this, so I uninstalled it, and installed MS driver instead.

However, recently I found there is another option. If you go to NVidia web page, you can download the driver. And because it is not on CD, the urge to add unnecessary stuff is not so strong; maybe they also think about the poor users with slow internet connection, so they make the package small. So I have downloaded a file with strange name "93.71_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe" with size 40 MB, and replaced my Microsoft driver with this. Yes, it is sitting in the traybar, allowing me to look at the beautiful icon with manufacturer logo all day long. Maybe one day I will find a way to remove it. However...

...if I start Allacrost demo now, it runs smoothly. So, reinstalling the driver was the solution. MS driver probably does not support OpenGL, or does it very poorly.

What makes me angry about the whole OpenGL thing, is that I do not know any simple method to detect, if my hardware does support it. With DirectX it is simple... in the command prompt type "dxdiag" and it will start a program which tells you about your DirectX compatibility (and if you do not have that program, you do not have DirectX either). So it is trivial to see "oh, I have DirectX 8.0, and the game needs 9.0, so this is why it does not work". But I do not know about anything similar with OpenGL. The only way to fix problems with OpenGL is to install n different drivers, and hope that the problem will disappear.

Maybe if the game you can detect the OpenGL level of the graphics card driver. It would be nice to display it, or log it -- especially with the note if it is too low (which version it currently is, and which version is required).
Disto

Post by Disto » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:32 pm

You can ctrl-alt-delete the program and stop it but also try Run --> msconfig and go to the startup tab.

What I'm guessing you don't want is Nview and their little tray icon, both I can help you with. Nview is nwiz.exe and the tray icon is NvMcTray... You can disable both of these starting with MsConfig or for safety sake (I don't know what effect Nview has on the graphics card you can just disable the tray icon.)

Hmm... while writing this posts I managed to find a spybot... cool :P.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:14 pm

Thanks for reporting the solution. I'm glad it was not our fault. :angel: And yeah, I wish OpenGL was supported better as well, but Microsoft likes to maintain its monopoly on everything software, so that can make things difficult at times.

Viliam wrote:So I just guess... There is one thing I really hate about the drivers provided by hardware manufacturers -- they usually try to push you a lot of software you completely do not need. When I install a graphics card, I want a driver; nothing more! But the hardware manufacturers love to provide many additional programs, which are typically started in the OS boot sequence, so they prolong the booting, waste resources, often are displayed in traybar, and it is almost impossible to get rid of them. Yeah, they probably think that their precious hardware is the only important piece of your computer, so you want to devote all your disk and time to test millions of settings, and use all those great free (as in beer) applications they decided to burn on CD, because there was 700 MB empty space, and they felt the urge to fill it up. Often the installation procedure is so unobvious that you are never sure which parts you have to install, and which are optional -- which will improve the hardware performance, and which will only sit in traybar and consume computer resources. Well, I guess the original CD did something like this, so I uninstalled it, and installed MS driver instead.

That's one of the greatest suttle points about Linux IMHO. I hated not being able to control what was installed and actively ran on my old Windows computers. You don't get any of that unnecessary crap in Linux, and even when you do its very simple to open up a command line and find a way to fix the problem.
Steu
Developer

Post by Steu » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:57 pm

The thing about the Microsoft OpenGL is they stopped supporting OpenGL approximately somewhere around 97-98, so their driver is extremely old, meanwhile the nvidia OpenGL driver is much more recent hence your speed increase, in this case never ever use the OpenGL driver provided by MS.