HoA Playthrough

Let our staff know what you think about the game and suggest improvements

Moderator: Staff

Zeugmal
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:10 pm

HoA Playthrough

Postby Zeugmal » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:23 pm

First of all, I'd like to say the game looks and feels great. The design really reminded me of playing something along the lines of FF III or VII. Here are some issues I came across while playing:

-NPCs are walking too fast/frantically, and tend to get stuck a lot on the terrain, or walk in place.

-I found the menu that pops up for treasure chests to be confusing. I can "return", "view details", and "open inventory", but how do I actually take the items? I will admit I didn't read the manual, but it just doesn't seem intuitive. A "Take All" button would be nice.

-When shopping, I found myself having to double check whether what I was about to buy was actually better equipment. Having to go to back to the inventory to check is time consuming and tedious. Having weapons/armor that will improve your stats highlighted in green, and items that will decrease them highlighted in red, would help greatly.

-A minor quibble, but would it be more convenient to assume an initial buy quantity of 1 instead of 0?

-Gaining levels is another instance in which it would be nice to see highlighted text, such as the numbers in parenthesis that show the stat improvement for each attribute.

-Applying an item to a character in battle mode is slightly confusing. Both the active character and the target character are highlighted with red rings, which although not terribly confusing, does force me to do a double take. Highlighting the target in green may improve this.

-Speaking of green, the HP bars in battle mode are a dim green. I would consider brightening the HP bar to make its state stand out and be more obvious.


For the actual bugs, my machine specs:

Windows XP Home Edition SP2
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Nvidia GeForce 6600 LE
1 GB RAM


-While changing key settings in boot mode, I noticed that the "Please press a new key" prompt seems to get stuck, persistently drawing over everything while still in boot mode. The decorative border disappears, leaving just the text. Once this happens, I can no longer interact with the Key Settings menu. Leaving and coming back to boot mode corrects the issue. Also, if I leave the game from boot mode by hitting the Escape key, the settings are not saved.

-The game crashed to the desktop while I was in battle mode. This happened as I attempted to apply a health potion. The error log said "attempted to delete obj. from inventory that didn't exist." I have repeatedly tried to reproduce the error, but couldn't. I thought it might have something to do with potions bought at the shop, but even so could not reproduce it. The only time this happened, I had Laila with me, and I believe the potion was applied to her while Claudius was active.

I hope these suggestions / bug reports help.

-Zach
Jonan
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:55 pm

Re: HoA Playthrough

Postby Jonan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:55 pm

Zeugmal wrote:-When shopping, I found myself having to double check whether what I was about to buy was actually better equipment. Having to go to back to the inventory to check is time consuming and tedious. Having weapons/armor that will improve your stats highlighted in green, and items that will decrease them highlighted in red, would help greatly.


+1 to this idea

You could do something similar to FF IX that when you where shopping your characters attributes where displaid and you could see which ones improved (green) and which ones decreased (red)
User avatar
Roots
Dictator
Posts: 8664
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Re: HoA Playthrough

Postby Roots » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:16 pm

Sorry for the delay in my response. I've been really busy with things lately.

Zeugmal wrote:-NPCs are walking too fast/frantically, and tend to get stuck a lot on the terrain, or walk in place.


Yeah, that will be fixed in the next release.

Zeugmal wrote:-I found the menu that pops up for treasure chests to be confusing. I can "return", "view details", and "open inventory", but how do I actually take the items? I will admit I didn't read the manual, but it just doesn't seem intuitive. A "Take All" button would be nice.


The manual doesn't mention this at all actually. :angel: But yeah I agree with you here. "Take All" would be much better than "Return". I think we'll probably remove the "view details" as well and just make it more obvious that you can use the cursor keys to move down and select items in the list of treasures. The open inventory menu was meant to be a convenience (you can go directly to equipping new items instead of having to go back to the map and then equipping), but I think the tiny convenience it offers isn't worth cluttering the treasure interface. So I think we'll probably remove that.

Zeugmal wrote:-When shopping, I found myself having to double check whether what I was about to buy was actually better equipment. Having to go to back to the inventory to check is time consuming and tedious. Having weapons/armor that will improve your stats highlighted in green, and items that will decrease them highlighted in red, would help greatly.


Absolutely. Its been a feature request for quite some time, but no one has gotten around to doing this. Should be present in the next release

Zeugmal wrote:-A minor quibble, but would it be more convenient to assume an initial buy quantity of 1 instead of 0?


Our shopping interface is different from typical RPGs. In other RPGs you can only buy one item + one quantity at a time. Our interface allows you to select multiple items and multiple quantities (both buying and selling) and then allows you to confirm that entire transaction. It makes it *much* nicer when you have a limited amount of money and can't buy everything you'd like...you can easily figure out the best selections that you can afford without any risk (ie accidentally buying an expensive helmet and now you can't afford that second chain mail).

So in short, no it would be less convenient to assume an initial buy quantity of 1, because then the player might accidentally buy something they do not wish to, and they are forced to go through and zero out everything that they don't want to buy.

Zeugmal wrote:-Gaining levels is another instance in which it would be nice to see highlighted text, such as the numbers in parenthesis that show the stat improvement for each attribute.


I agree. Might make it into the next release; might not.

Zeugmal wrote:-Applying an item to a character in battle mode is slightly confusing. Both the active character and the target character are highlighted with red rings, which although not terribly confusing, does force me to do a double take. Highlighting the target in green may improve this.


Yeah I agree here too. Also the selection rings are static in size...they can't be made bigger or smaller to reflect the size of the user/target (technically they could, but they would look like crap). We'll probably either create multiple selection ring graphics, or create some procedural image for this.

Zeugmal wrote:-Speaking of green, the HP bars in battle mode are a dim green. I would consider brightening the HP bar to make its state stand out and be more obvious.


Never really noticed this one. Maybe. What would be even better IMO is if the HP/SP bars were temporarily highlighted/brightened whenever the HP/SP amounts changed.




As for the bugs, all I can say is we'll add them to the list. :) If you want to go to bugs.allacrost.org and enter them there, that will make it much more likely that we remember to fix these issues. Thanks for giving us such detailed feedback -- we appreciate the help. :approve:
Image

Return to “User Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests