just face it: The Allacrost project is dead.

Let our staff know what you think about the game and suggest improvements

Moderator: Staff

SvHalenbach

just face it: The Allacrost project is dead.

Postby SvHalenbach » Mon May 19, 2008 9:51 am

Don't you agree, that you are sittin on a dead horse and still intend to ride? I don't want to spread bad vibes, but if you see no progress in weeks and months, it seems obvious to someone not involved. Your time is precious and worthfull, so maybe you could use it better for other projects, which are alomost ready to be released as 1.0.

Greetings

SvH
rujasu
Developer

Re: just face it: The Allacrost project is dead.

Postby rujasu » Mon May 19, 2008 9:37 pm

SvHalenbach wrote:Don't you agree, that you are sittin on a dead horse and still intend to ride? I don't want to spread bad vibes, but if you see no progress in weeks and months, it seems obvious to someone not involved. Your time is precious and worthfull, so maybe you could use it better for other projects, which are alomost ready to be released as 1.0.

Greetings

SvH

Rather than respond to this with a long rant about how this post is trolling and completely off-base, I'll offer two responses.

One - Personally, I'm a college student, and just finished up with final exams. I know that others within the project are in similar situations.

Two - I intend to disprove your statement by taking action and advancing the project, rather than wasting my time explaining to you why the project is not "dead," as you say.
Winter Knight
Contributor

Postby Winter Knight » Mon May 19, 2008 10:14 pm

The sitting on a dead horse analogy is flawed. The hypothetical horse: the servers, forums, svn code, etc, are working just fine. Nobody has been riding the horse recently.
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Mon May 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Besides there's always some activity behind the horse (IRC, staff forum area, etc.) :)

To be more serious, this isn't the first time Allacrost is on pause, however it has indeed been a longer time than usual. It's just that we're all people with lives and such, and we're doing this for our own enjoyment without getting paid. WE decide when to work on this, when to have break and when to continue.

Less drama, more action. Thank you!
ElonNarai
Developer

Postby ElonNarai » Mon May 19, 2008 11:04 pm

SvHalenbach wrote:Don't you agree, that you are sittin on a dead horse and still intend to ride? I don't want to spread bad vibes, but if you see no progress in weeks and months, it seems obvious to someone not involved. Your time is precious and worthfull, so maybe you could use itI better for other projects, which are alomost ready to be released as 1.0.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Your making quite a bold statement and then tell us to work on other projects, instead of this one, which in my opinion is as rude as slapping the host of the party in the face and then telling him to go to another party even though it is his birthday. You would have accomplished so much more if you just dropped a line asking what is going because you might have been hold out on the loop.

Anyway, the project is not dead, it's going slow at the moment. I for one am a new programmer on the staff but I'm not programming but writing a complete finished design document, this is done in private so that we first can create a design that matches the founders ideas, after that it will go public and I will start programming again. There are still sounds being created. There has been made an installer for Windows and there are certainly a few other things I might have missed.

All and all, the project is not death, because if it were nobody would respond.
Documenter and coder
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue May 20, 2008 9:33 pm

I remember back in November of 2004, less than 6 months after work on Allacrost had started, we were at a near stand still and at that time I did indeed fear that Allacrost may soon be dead. But as it turned out, my fears were unfounded. As soon as people finished up their finals for the semester (I believe the team was pretty much 100% students at the time), we bounced right back.

Yes, we are moving at a much slower pace than is typical for our team. I didn't really intend to take as long of a break away from Allacrost as I have been. It just sort of happened. But I think it has been good for me to step away for a few months and discover other things in my life that I enjoy. Plus, I think that when I do come back to work here (hopefully soon), I'm going to be able to have a totally fresh perspective on our design and ideas which I feel should be beneficial both for myself and for this team.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother arguing whether we are dead or alive. You've gotten quite a few team members to respond to this post, so that means we're alive ;)
eguitarz
Contributor

Postby eguitarz » Wed May 21, 2008 12:30 pm

Although I've been disappeared for a while, but I'll do contribution again in the near future. And the project is sure to keep running. :eyebrow: (Girl is the main reason...)
Field: Editor
Quest: Supports sprites feature
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu May 22, 2008 5:35 am

When the jet man promises that something will get done, it will get done, eventually. :nono: For allacrost; I've made the promise that in some form or another, I'll see this game to its completion. I've already put enough in that I'm not going to let it go to waste.
KaelisEbonrai
Artist

Postby KaelisEbonrai » Thu May 22, 2008 5:44 am

I'm still here, as well, but, time, as ever, is still stretched. There definitely is activity, I have to tell you. And Allacrost is far from dead, matey. ;) I'm going to actually get to work, when life slows down a little <g>. (Its getting there!)

But, hey, who are you to tell us what we should do?
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Fri May 23, 2008 6:48 am

You heard it here first folks. The writing is on the wall. We are riding a dead horse.

I gotta tell you though, for a dead horse, this sucker still runs pretty fast. Slow and steady wins the race. ;)
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

SvHalenbach

Postby SvHalenbach » Fri May 23, 2008 2:37 pm

Okay, from your feedback i can see, that allacrost is not dead and will not be dead in the near future. I was wrong, and i am sorry. When so many people respond with such certainty, that they will continue to contribute, the project is far from dead. My best wishes to you all.
turin

Postby turin » Tue May 27, 2008 12:25 am

The frustrating thing about this project (which I've been following almost since it's inception) is that, though there are clearly people working on the it, there seems to be little to show for it - there was a demo released a while ago (which I can't install on my computer because it has unmeetable dependencies, according to Debian aptitude), but other than that, what? I can see people are working on something, but I can't see any progress.

And a project without perceivable progress seems unlikely to attract new members or people willing to try out the game.
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.
Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue May 27, 2008 3:55 am

I agree with you turin. Its been frustrating for me as well, because there's so much more that I had hoped we could show by now. Its especially difficult to keep the project fully staffed, because everyone is continually dropping in and out as circumstances in their lives change (mine included). All we can do is keep plugging away really. I think that sometime in the future, there will come a point where we will have much fewer barriers between our releases (because the code will be more sturdy and feature-complete). A lot of the first 2-3 years of Allacrost were really spent figuring out how to put the engine together, and what libraries to use. We've made a few missteps with our library choices, which cost us a lot of time.

Oh and BTW, I develop Allacrost on Debian and I've installed the Allacrost debian packages successfully via synaptic. Dunno why its not working for you. :|
nicknameminivan

Postby nicknameminivan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Open source never die.
I use now the engine for my own project. ;)

Return to “User Feedback”