License?

Let our staff know what you think about the game and suggest improvements

Moderator: Staff

turin

License?

Postby turin » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:55 pm

I know the code is GPLed. Is all the art GPLed also? What about the music? I can't find this information on your site, although that might be because I'm looking in the wrong places.

The reason behind me asking is, I'm wondering if it would be OK for me to "borrow" some of the awesome music you have for my own devious, although GPLed, purposes.
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.
Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:10 pm

Hmm, that's a good question. Let me get back to you on this because I want to see what our artists/musicians think about it. It is, after all, their original work so I think they should have more say in this matter than I would.

And by the way, if you think the music we've already made public is awesome, you're going to crap your pants when you hear what we have in the works right now. :D
turin

Postby turin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:13 am

Sounds good.  :D

turin

Postby turin » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:49 am

Well, uh, its been a week. Do we have an answer yet? ;)

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:32 am

Yeah. Only one artist and one composer replied (*grumble* lazy staff *grumble*) but they both responded that they don't mind if their artwork/music is used in other places, as long as:

A) They know where it's going (ie let us know you're planning to use it and details about your project)

B) You give them their due credit, and don't try to claim that someone else made the work

So I guess you can assume that for now, but we'll probably come up with something more official-sounding at a later time. :)
turin

Postby turin » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:33 pm

Sounds good.

Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:58 am

Roots wrote:And by the way, if you think the music we've already made public is awesome, you're going to crap your pants when you hear what we have in the works right now. :D

I just wanted to say that I hope the Allacrost music doesn't make anyone crap their pants.   :eyebrow:
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

roos
Developer

Postby roos » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:33 pm

:uhoh:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:56 pm

Rain wrote:
Roots wrote:And by the way, if you think the music we've already made public is awesome, you're going to crap your pants when you hear what we have in the works right now. :D

I just wanted to say that I hope the Allacrost music doesn't make anyone crap their pants.   :eyebrow:

Come on are you kidding? I poop my pants all the time! :rolleyes:
Classic_gamer

Postby Classic_gamer » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:52 am

Roots wrote:
Rain wrote:

That's.... great..... Roots........

Now, does this happen just when listening to music or all the time?

Wait no, don't anwser that.
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:28 am

Roots wrote:
Rain wrote:

YEa...All the cool people are doing it.   :twitch:  :heh:
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:53 am

:?: I thought I already answered your question about this turin? All you have to do is give credit to the original artists/composers of the work you "borrow", and also give credit to the Allacrost Project. :)
turin

Postby turin » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:36 am

I need something more official-sounding, i.e. it what license you plan on releasing it under.  ;)

(There are some rules with the Wesnoth campaign server that make it so I can't just use it because you said I could...)

CC license

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:55 pm

Here are infos about the well known and outstanding Creative Commons Licence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_Licence

and the official homepage with descriptions of the types
http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses

Not so perfect but it works, too; Gfdl (GNU Free Documentation License)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gfdl

Wikipedia for example use both of them, depending of what the donator of the pic choose before.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:12 pm

Actually I've been thinking about licensing options for game content lately as well. The GPL is fine for code, but its pretty...well, not that great for images, music, etc. The GPL was created to be applied to licensed code, not licensed everything. I've been thinking that we should offer our game content under a different license (such as Creative Commons), but I haven't had the time to read and thoroughly understand these licenses yet.
ettin

Postby ettin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:56 pm

they don't mind if their artwork/music is used in other places, as long as: A) They know where it's going (ie let us know you're planning to use it and details about your project)

If that is mandatory, it will probably make the content non-free (or at least non-dfsg :)).

B) You give them their due credit, and don't try to claim that someone else made the work

That's fine, not explicitly required by the GPL, but other GPL-compatible licenses have similar restrictions (see zlib).

Actually I've been thinking about licensing options for game content lately as well. The GPL is fine for code, but its pretty...well, not that great for images, music, etc. The GPL was created to be applied to licensed code, not licensed everything. I've been thinking that we should offer our game content under a different license (such as Creative Commons), but I haven't had the time to read and thoroughly understand these licenses yet.

I'm not so sure about releasing the game content under a different license... specially if it is under a dubious, GPL-incompatible license.
Sure, GPL wasn't thought for images and music, but it can still be used for general data. And it is good, specially if you want to avoid licensing and distribution issues.

Two interesting links:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html
http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses
Winter Knight
Contributor

Postby Winter Knight » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:06 pm

I for one, would appreciate the content be distributable under a free license. According to this page: http://www.allacrost.org/?q=node/14 , it is. Thank you.
reedake

Re: License?

Postby reedake » Tue May 17, 2011 4:37 am

I assume nothing more has come from this? It would be good to see the art and music released under CC0 license.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Tue May 17, 2011 5:50 am

reedake, see Winter Knight's link above your post. Everything in Allacrost is provided under the GNU GPL version 2, which is an open-source license. If you're not familiar with it, I'd suggest you read up on it, as it is a complex license with plenty of pros and cons. Our content is not available under a Creative Commons license. Thanks.
shirish

Postby shirish » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:41 pm

I am sure you guys know about opengameart.org . If not, you guys should check it out. There is possibility of collaboration with other devs/artists over there as well. Also just in case if any license issues are there you could also use that fora for the same purposes.

Lastly, you could try debian-legal ml (mailing list) . there also people discuss licensing as well.

Just my 2 paise.
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,

Return to “User Feedback”