Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Regionalism/ Folklore

Discuss the story of the game and share your thoughts here

Moderator: Staff

Rain
Musician

Regionalism/ Folklore

Post by Rain » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:23 pm

Another idea I have is perhaps doing some sort of regionalization theme for the weapons and the armor. Example, The sword of ALI BABA!! I know this is totally cheesy and completely out of the question for the name of a weapon but still, it might bean interesting idea to have a correlation between item relevance with the environment being the depending variable. Terrain senstitive equipment...A pair of boots that makes you walk more quickly through the sand, etc...

Another interesting idea might be incorporating certain aspects of regional folklore into the story. Not in a way that is unbelievable or is distracting from the main story. I was provided a great amount of stimulation realizing that the Masamune sword had an extenstive history behind it that went back hundreds of years and that continues the experience outside when the game is being played. It gives the game more credibility and depth. Just another idea...
Roots
Dictator

Re: Regionalism/ Folklore

Post by Roots » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:21 pm

rain wrote:Another idea I have is perhaps doing some sort of regionalization theme for the weapons and the armor. Example, The sword of ALI BABA!! I know this is totally cheesy and completely out of the question for the name of a weapon but still, it might bean interesting idea to have a correlation between item relevance with the environment being the depending variable. Terrain senstitive equipment...A pair of boots that makes you walk more quickly through the sand, etc...

Another interesting idea might be incorporating certain aspects of regional folklore into the story. Not in a way that is unbelievable or is distracting from the main story. I was provided a great amount of stimulation realizing that the Masamune sword had an extenstive history behind it that went back hundreds of years and that continues the experience outside when the game is being played. It gives the game more credibility and depth. Just another idea...

Regionalized equipment eh? Meh, well I think you usually see that in most games. Like when you are about to go into a fire dungeon or whatever, there's usually an ice sword laying around somewhere. Terrain sensitive equipment sounds pretty difficult to implement. That means for every weapon/armor we have to save information that tells us what types terrains its effective on and what types it is not. It doesn't sound like a bad idea particularly, its just a lot more work and quite frankly, I think we have more than enough features planned for this game already.

Regional folklore on the otherhand sounds like a very viable idea. I would love to have some culturistic stories and things in the game. I'm particularly fond of ancient Greek mythology. :D
Burnsaber

Re: Regionalism/ Folklore

Post by Burnsaber » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:44 am

I also agree with this idea. References to "real" word cultures gives the magic item much more depth. Greek mythology is also full of heroes and gods that could give the item some more depth.

For example if you wanted to make an item, lets say sandals, that increase damage taken in legs but decrease damge to other body parts. If you would call those sandals "Sandals of Achilles", the palyer would instantly get the idea behind the item. At least much better than something called " sandals of damage whoopladuudling".

Also i would *love* Kalevala references.
I'm the 50th person who joined on these forums! I'm special!
Balthazar
Former Staff

Post by Balthazar » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:44 pm

While using allusions can be helpful in that case, it can also serve to break the fantasy a bit. It depends on how much you are creating a new world/universe and the context of such use. I know that some fantasy is based on a version of Earth, and such context allows for greater use of allusions. Square has done it a lot, and it seems to have worked out for them though.
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:37 pm

Balthazar wrote:While using allusions can be helpful in that case, it can also serve to break the fantasy a bit. It depends on how much you are creating a new world/universe and the context of such use. I know that some fantasy is based on a version of Earth, and such context allows for greater use of allusions. Square has done it a lot, and it seems to have worked out for them though.

I couldn't agree more. While naming of certain items/whatever could refer to real-world references, I typically want to immerse the player in a unique world, rather than something spun off of reality. (Reality is boring :D) If you have good mythology/whatever references though that would be nice to see (what is Kalevala?). I'd like to name items and foes more than something simple and lame like "short sword" or "bad guy", but rather refer to something like "Ragnarok" or "Cerebrus", but many of these have been used again and again and again throughout RPGs, so it would be lame to see them appear in this game once again. Summary of this paragraph: unique/esoteric references = :approve:
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:00 am

I think agree with you here. Everything must be used modetarely even real world references. I agree that cerbercus and raganrok are so much used that they have lost their meaning as giving more depth. Many players would now think as fighting with cerbercus " Ain`t it that thing from Harry Potter/FFsomething/etc?" instead of thinking "Weren`t that in somewhere in greek mythology".

Kalevala is the simple put the Finnish mythology. It`s creator J.L Runeberg travelled far and wide and collected old finnish folkrole and put between two covers. In short it tells about forging of an great artifact called sampo. Sampo gives its owner limitless amount of salt, wheat, sugar and gold. War for sampo starts and in the end, it breaks. If you want some unheard references, kalevala is the place to look.
I'm the 50th person who joined on these forums! I'm special!