Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Prologue Available

Discuss the story of the game and share your thoughts here

Moderator: Staff

Balthazar
Former Staff

Prologue Available

Post by Balthazar » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:58 pm

After much editing, the new version of the prologue has been released! This part of the story tells the beginnings of Claudius and his journey. It is available as html, or as a pdf.

Please share any comments you may have here.
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:46 pm

Well I think it's much, much better the original version I did. I have to admit I was hesitant about letting someone else touch the story at first, but I now feel I made the right decision. :) In particularly I like the naming of the former "great dogs" to the Mak'ok hounds, the brief introduction of the Muabi, the more vivid details that describe the scenes, the emotion, the dialogue, the character depth..... I love it all! :D

And if anyone is interested enough to read the original version, it's up right here. I'd be particularly interested in any feedback between the two versions, so hopefully I can develop my own writing skills as time goes on as well. :)

Original Prologue (PDF)
Melchior
Contributor

Post by Melchior » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:52 am

:approve:

Very nice flow.

If i diidn't already know it was being done I'de suggest someone make a great game out of that great story.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:00 am

Melchior wrote:If i diidn't already know it was being done I'de suggest someone make a great game out of that great story.
It's interesting that you said something like that. I wrote the original version back in June last year because I was extremely bored one day. I shared it online and people generally liked it so I half-kidding/half-seriously mentioned "maybe we can make a game out of it?" The rest is history. :heh: So you see, the Allacrost story existed before the game :)
Melchior
Contributor

Post by Melchior » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:15 am

Well it comes across pretty strongly that it's game driven by story and not "Okay, we have a guy who has a sword and hits things.... someone do up a script"
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:31 pm

Well I'm very glad it comes across that way then, because that's exactly how we'd like it to be. I have grown tired of modern games that mostly seek to impress the player soley on graphics and have weak/flawed storylines. The SNES era of gaming had the best game stories IMHO.
Balthazar
Former Staff

Post by Balthazar » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:35 pm

Roots, go play the Metal Gear Solid games. :P But yes, FFVI continues to be my fave FF.
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
Melchior
Contributor

Post by Melchior » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:36 pm

*cough*
Fable
*cough*
Melchior
Contributor

Post by Melchior » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:36 pm

Balthazar wrote:Roots, go play the Metal Gear Solid games. :P But yes, FFVI continues to be my fave FF.
What he said. Metal gear is some of the best story telling in gaming history, and it also looks amazing.
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:30 pm

Balthazar wrote:Roots, go play the Metal Gear Solid games. :P But yes, FFVI continues to be my fave FF.
Its not like Metal Gear is a dime a dozen. Final Fantasy VI proves the fact that flashiness is not a necessity for a worthwhile gaming experience. However its also very important to note that the team that put FF6 together were extremely artistic. There needs to be a certain level of artistry, something that makes the game look and feel unique, but it doesn't necessarily need to be flashy.

Hmmm...

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:34 am

[quote="Rain"][/quote]

interesting :)
Timberloo

Post by Timberloo » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:40 pm

Roots wrote:In particularly I like the naming of the former "great dogs" to the Mak'ok hounds . . .[/url]
This reminds me of the old heavy-metal song, "She Loves Mak'ok!"
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:18 am

Timberloo wrote:
This reminds me of the old heavy-metal song, "She Loves Mak'ok!"
Jackal anyone? :devil:

I actually played through FF6 several months ago.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great game.  But the more I play ff6 or ff9 or ff anything, the more I feel that the story lacks a real depth of character.

I mean, ok, Terra had her moments, but I felt somewhat underwhelmed with Locke's tragedy, or the animosity between Sabin and Edgar.  I'd wager 90% is lost in translation, but still....
The prologue here goes leaps and bounds beyond most of what squaresoft has produced.  And for every MGS there's DMC, just like for every 20 FF8 there's a FFT or VS or some other acronym worth mentioning.

I'm glad this game lies in the "we have good dialogue and story" and not the "we have campy story and engrish"

/me starts to hum the song "Turning Japaneese" by Vapors
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:28 am

Roots wrote:the brief introduction of the Muabi,
As long as they don't get involved in a protracted conflict with the Emperor's Sardaukar...   :heh:
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:31 am

Jetryl wrote:
As long as they don't get involved in a protracted conflict with the Emperor's Sardaukar...   :heh:
You're not the only one who thought the Muabi are like the Fremen.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:45 am

I think it's unfair to say the prologue goes leaps and bounds beyond FFVI. Story-telling in a game is vastly different from story telling in a written work. So I think we actually have to be working on the game before we can compare it's story to any other games personally. ;)

gorzuate wrote:
Jetryl wrote:
You're not the only one who thought the Muabi are like the Fremen.
What are you guys talking about? Is this reference to some great book that I should have read? :uhoh:
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:43 am

Only one of the most epic science fiction stories ever written: Dune, by Frank Herbert.
roos
Developer

Post by roos » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:10 pm

Oh, no wonder those names sounded familiar... Read it a long long time ago.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:45 am

roos wrote:Oh, no wonder those names sounded familiar... Read it a long long time ago.
Similarity is somewhat indirect.  In allacrost, we have the Muabi, the name of the desert people.

In Dune, there are the Fremen, who have a messiah-figure known as Muad'ib(sp?).

Sorry for being a punk though - there's nothing wrong with the muabi name, in fact, not unlike some of the words in Dune, it correctly feels linguistically similar to arabic names, which gives an appropriate "feel" for a desert people.  No one could snipe us for stealing names, either, since they aren't similar _enough_. :axe:
eleazar

Post by eleazar » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:16 pm

The prologue seems to be gone, except for the first few paragraphs.