Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

On Colorful Language

Discuss the story of the game and share your thoughts here

Moderator: Staff

marcavis

On Colorful Language

Post by marcavis » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:46 pm

One of the many things that has impressed me the most in Final Fantasy XII was its excellent use of language; Differing from older jrpg's, which aimed to convey whatever was possible to extract from the Japanese original text, it used a rich, descriptive vocabulary that provided more depth to dialogues, explanations, and so on.

An example, the description of a mere "Dire Rat":
"Being a manner of vile and verminous beastie, much favoring the fetid stench of the sewers and making their nest therein. Past attempts at eradications to contain the plagues these pests are known to carry have greatly reduced their numbers, yet a preternatural rate of reproduction has kept the strain from extinction. And so they remain, an ever-popular subject for natural philosophers keen to fathom the secrets of their indomitable constitution."

A bit obtuse, but rich and expressive nonetheless.

My point is, it really would be fitting in some instances to use something better than lackadaisical, everyday language. There's at least one king, probably more, in the Allacrost world, from what I know!
gorzuate
Developer

Re: On Colorful Language

Post by gorzuate » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Hear hear! :)
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:12 pm

I agree conditionally. The language used in that example certainly gives more depth and explanation to that rat enemy, but not all players care about this. Some people like to read and get drawn into the game world. Other players just want to know the minimum amount of information they need to achieve the next goal. I'd like for us to try to satisfy both parties and I think its simple to do. Make such text optional reading. We could have both short summaries and long descriptions of items, equipment, enemies, etc. For example:

Name: Healing Potion
Summary: A tonic that mends minor lacerations and bruises.
Description: The modern healing potion formula is an advanced concoction of wild herds found throughout most temperate plains across Allacrost. The invention is credited to the now extinct tribe of witch doctors which were known as the Flarivia approximately 450 years ago. Alchemists across the world are actively trying to improve the basic formula in hopes of striking fortune with a superior product.

I think Brian would have some fun writing things like this. Am I right Brian? :)
Brian
Writer

Post by Brian » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:54 pm

Yes! Yes sir I would.
A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul.
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:57 am

I didn't think the Final Fantasy XII text was really engaging. It sounded like something that was taking it self to seriously and thus lost opportunities to provide a wider range of color. It didn't seem very colorful to me, just very 'shakespearean'. IN A BAD WAY. Like over the top. It was suitable to a large chunk of the game due to the more mature nature of the game from previous final fantasy games, but Matsuno tends to focus a lot of his stories on replicating the shakespearean style of text... but it isn't necessary all the time. In many instances, it just hinders the ability of the reader to process what SHOULD be simple, engaging information. If the information or storyline itself is engaging, then the less flourished the style, the better. imo.

Then again, I'm all about text being secondary to development of more important characteristics, such as storyline and/ or character development actually occurring, possibly in tandem. The text for FFXII was trying to overcome the limitations of a story which isn't really well developed. The text does match the maturity of the themes present in the game, but it isn't necessary.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)