Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Prologue translation issues

Discuss the story of the game and share your thoughts here

Moderator: Staff

Burnsaber

Prologue translation issues

Post by Burnsaber » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:50 pm

Í`m translating the prologue and noticed some errors, that i would like to point out.

Yes, sir," Claudius managed.
To what? This sentence needs a verb.
You sheath that sword and grab those lines.You'll be down there with us, but you have a role in this unit, just like everyone else
. There just ain`t everything fine in this sentence. First the captain says that claudius will came down to the cave then that he has role like everyone else :eyebrow: ? It would sound better IMO, if it said
"you have a role in this unit, and you`re coming down with us, just like everyone else."
I'm the 50th person who joined on these forums! I'm special!
Balthazar
Former Staff

Post by Balthazar » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:46 pm

1) Dialogue generally does not follow the same rules as "proper" English. Just think about how you speak, is it exactly the same as you write? Generally your spoken language is filled with many more instances of slang, contractions and sentence fragments.

2) Your sentence would only make sense if Claudius didn't want to go into the cave and was fighting it. You have to look at the full context of the scene.
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:10 am

Balthazar wrote:1) Dialogue generally does not follow the same rules as "proper" English. Just think about how you speak, is it exactly the same as you write? Generally your spoken language is filled with many more instances of slang, contractions and sentence fragments.
:huh: So its slang now to leave crucial parts of sentence away? After i read that sentence i noticed myself asking what Claudius "managed" to do. Mutter? Grunt? Say? English ain`t my native, but im quite sure that you don`t leave the verb out. I myself say that "im going to the shop" not "i to the shop" (leaving the verb out).
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:18 am

"Yes, sir" is a complete sentence. It's not slang, I've heard it used ever since I was born. He's just acknowledging the request. It's the same as saying "Affirmative."
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:25 am

Whoopsie! Should of have made it more clearer. I`m fine with the thing that Claudius says it`s the two words after it that bug me. "Claudius managed"- to what? It should be something like "yes sir" Claudius managed to Say/Grunt/Stutter. The sentence says that Claudius managed to do something, but does not define what.
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:34 am

I think it's implied that he managed to say "Yes, sir" and doesn't need to be explicitly stated.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:00 pm

gorzuate wrote:I think it's implied that he managed to say "Yes, sir" and doesn't need to be explicitly stated.
Mjeh. It just seemed.. strange to me. I haven`t run on that kind of sentences before and i quess that it hit my attention. But if three native speakers say it`s okay, its probably okay. Sorry for the trouble!
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:55 pm

Burnsaber wrote:
gorzuate wrote:I think it's implied that he managed to say "Yes, sir" and doesn't need to be explicitly stated.
Mjeh. It just seemed.. strange to me. I haven`t run on that kind of sentences before and i quess that it hit my attention. But if three native speakers say it`s okay, its probably okay. Sorry for the trouble!
No worries! ;)
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:00 pm

In my opinion. English is the most *@#$ed up language there is. I'm glad it's my native language, because I'm sure learning it must be :frustrated: :cry: :bang: :ohnoes: :bash: :axe: :eyespin:

Am I right? :heh:
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:01 pm

yeah, but any language with a totally different alphabet might be worse
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:56 pm

Actually, believe it or not, Finnish is the third hardest language in the world! IIRC, English was something like fifteenth.
Only languages harder than Finish were Japan and chinese (again IIRC).
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:18 am

I know Japanese and I don' t think it's a hard language to learn at all.

日本語はそんなに難しくないですよ。
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:53 am

I might be wrong as my information came from my friend, who told me that he had read about it in a newspaper some years ago. Anyways he was quite sure that finland was in the top 3. That makes me also a lucky one as i can speak one of the most difficult languages in the world!

We in finland have a saying that goes somewhat like this "It is same as an lottory win to be born in finland" and it refers to finland`s low population; "only" 5 million people. The chances are excactly 0,00083 %... I`m lucky!

And i wasn`t too suprised to hear about how difficult language finnish is. To tell you the truth, finnish grammar is a mess.. a big one.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:17 pm

Lives to be reclaimed
Could someone give me clearer definition of that? i haven`t heard saying like this before.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:49 pm

Bodies needed to be buried, homes rebuilt, lives reclaimed.

When it says "lives reclaimed" what it means is that people need to get back to their normal daily lives. They've been working to clear the damage and destruction caused by the chaos and their lives have been a mess. Does that help you make sense of it?

BTW, thanks for asking these questions. It's nice to see you actually care about the accuracy of the translation you're doing. :approve:
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:13 am

Oh, now i get it! The dictionary gave a definition of "getting something back", but it`s a saying. In finnish the same saying goes somewhat along this. "getting life back on track"
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:00 am

Ugh! Me confused!

Is Laila Claudius`s sister or not? The story says that he is not, but it has a part that says otherwise!
The pair had a daughter, Laila
This patr says that he is not his sister.
“I wasn't trying to hide anything,” Claudius protested, trying to cool the heated glare coming from his sister.
This says otherwise. Or are there three people in the room?

So either;
1) I`m right and being a total smart-ass. or
2) Wrong and making a fool of myself

It`s a lose-lose situation, but mjeh...
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:31 pm

She is his adopted sister....well actually, the family adopted Claudius, so he is her adopted brother.