Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Time Travel sequence.

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

AntonyCoder

Time Travel sequence.

Post by AntonyCoder » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:13 am

I had this idea for a game of my own, but it was pretty unfesible in the context I wanted to use it, but anyway, I think it could work for a 2d rpg.

Basically, for a period of the game, the player has in his possession a time travel device, that can hurl him within a 48 hour period. (Just to make it possible) Which is the span of the sequence.
And basically we code an actual timeline simulator, that propegates changes in the past.

An example of this.

Hour 4 - You are ambushed by a group of goblin, as a result of which several members of your party are seriously injured.

Hour 5 - You go back into time to,

Hour 3 - You sneak up on the enemy that caused the attack and with the added element of surprise, defeat them.

The timeline propegrator kicks in, and instantly every effect they caused, is eradicated from the timeline, and thus your injuries are suddenly healed.

But where it could be really cool, is since the timeline records all events, if you go back to where you was, like a replay of sorts, you see yourself performing all the actions you did when originally at that point in the timeline.

And this could allow puzzles, where you have do something in the past to help yourself in the future.

Too difficult to implement though? That's the question :)
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:15 am

:| I can't really see the usefulness of such a feature. How does this make the game more fun? I don't care to go back and watch my past self playing the game, I would rather be playing the game right now. It may open an opportunity for puzzles, but that's the only practical use I could see for such a feature. Now if you want to talk about "time travel done correctly" in a RPG, we must pay hommage to Chrono Trigger. :bow:
AntonyCoder

Post by AntonyCoder » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:32 am

Well, it's not meant to be a main feature, just like a little side quest to offer something new. Like 20-30 mins of gameplay.

That's what makes final 7 so good, it's not just rpg/battle/rpg/battle, but more rpg/battle/rpg/minigame/sidequest/battle/boss battle/new minigame

It was like an a real adventure, not a rigid experience.
turin

Post by turin » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:28 pm

Time travel disgusts me. No story has been made better by it, many stories have been made worse by it.

I'm sure a story where time travel actually makes sense is possible, but I have yet to see one. :cool:
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.
Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:32 pm

turin, have you ever played Chrono Trigger? :angel:

As far as ideas for minigames go, yes we could support an infinite different number of mini-games very easily with the current engine architecture that we have. But I think we should focus on the real game before we start dreaming about mini-games. ;)
AntonyCoder

Post by AntonyCoder » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:47 pm

Likewise, Turin have you ever watched red dwarf?

Don't let our benchmark be the work of bad game developers, instead let it be the work of the great writers of the world.

Roots, I agree that's probably best. In my defense, I have no idea how far along the game is, so I wasn't in a position to asses that :)
turin

Post by turin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:28 pm

No and no. :angel:

However, when I said that I was speaking not only of games involving time travel, but also of all books and movies involving time travel that I've ever read/seen.

Anyway, if you insist on involving time travel, I'm not stopping you. It may be that I'm the only person in the world with this pet peeve (well, actually, I know that's not true, because my brother agrees with me).

===> **ignore turin**
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.
Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:09 am

Time travel is a wonderful paradox, and I have seen it done well in a few circumstances, assuming 2 rules are adhered to.

1 - no event in the past occurs that would undu the need or ability to travel back in time (run over doc brown with the delorian).

2 - no event in the future occurs that would be undone by an event in the past not yet to occur (saving marty's kids, and then deciding not to have them).

These rules, however, depend on a great deal happening according to strict adherance, which just isn't the case. So in science fiction, we must account for the "breaking" of these rules, which then creates the paradigm of "what happens when we break them". Do we have the time space paradox? Or perhaps, we have the alternate universe, or a rift form in the space time continuum (yes, the word has 2 u's in it, very odd).

I've seen two cases when time traveling was done very well. The first is in "Slaughterhouse 5", when Pilgrim was unstuck, new fate, and did nothing. The other was futurama, when it blazenly didn't make sense, and was parody (and thus impossible), but obviously so.
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
AntonyCoder

Post by AntonyCoder » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:29 am

Yeah, and a good system to avoid those is a true paradox simulator. (This was always part of my idea. I even posted for devs on gamedev a year back looking for artists but got little replies. Too extreme I think :) )

So if you go back in time and prevent something from happening that would have made it impossible for you to go back in time, a paradox occurs.

Then the gameplay becomes a game of cat and mouse with the lines of time. Trying to avoid destroying the universe and trying to help yourself all at once.

There's definitely a great game in there somewhere, it would just be a very ambitious thing to do I think.