Anyone considered using tiled as the allacrost map editor?

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

Winter Knight
Contributor

Anyone considered using tiled as the allacrost map editor?

Postby Winter Knight » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:45 am

I installed and tried the allacrost map editor. It is OK. Nothing special. There are several features missing, such as copy and paste of several tiles at once.

Have you considered using tiled as the official map editor instead? You can find it at http://www.mapeditor.org. They haven't had a release in over a year, but they do svn commits a few times a month. The mailing list is active. Progress is slow, but steady. It is much more functional than the current allacrost map editor.

If you use a more general tile-based map editor, you will alleviate the need to duplicate work. The tiled developers will probably appreciate help.

Tiled saves it's files in an xml format. However, by design, you can create an extension that will cause tiled to save in allacrost's lua format.
ChopperDave
Developer

Postby ChopperDave » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:14 am

I installed and tried the allacrost map editor. It is OK. Nothing special. There are several features missing, such as copy and paste of several tiles at once

It is also still a WIP. The editor is in no way in its final form.

I don't see any reason why we should change over to another editor TBH. The editor is contantly being improved.
Winter Knight
Contributor

Postby Winter Knight » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 am

Why you should change over to another editor:

1) Tiled is complete and functional. It would be a huge leap ahead, for little cost.
2) Current svn version of allacrost's editor is buggy. tiled is not.
3) Collaboration. Why would two groups work on two editors, when they can combine forces and make something better? Or, you could just use tiled, and call it less work.
4) tiled is (somewhat) popular. It is used in about half a dozen games I know of. A lot of people already know how to use it. They won't have to learn something new.
5) Allacrost's current editor, as ChopperDave says, is a WIP. So at least you won't be throwing much away.

It was just a suggestion, but to me, it is a no-brainer. It is an opportunity to advance the allacrost editor by a huge leap, and at the same time add to the team.
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:25 am

I believe the plan is for the editor to be more then just a map editor, but also a script editor as well.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:43 am

Winter Knight wrote:Why you should change over to another editor:

1) Tiled is complete and functional. It would be a huge leap ahead, for little cost.
2) Current svn version of allacrost's editor is buggy. tiled is not.
3) Collaboration. Why would two groups work on two editors, when they can combine forces and make something better? Or, you could just use tiled, and call it less work.
4) tiled is (somewhat) popular. It is used in about half a dozen games I know of. A lot of people already know how to use it. They won't have to learn something new.
5) Allacrost's current editor, as ChopperDave says, is a WIP. So at least you won't be throwing much away.

It was just a suggestion, but to me, it is a no-brainer. It is an opportunity to advance the allacrost editor by a huge leap, and at the same time add to the team.

We will have a lot of major features in our engine that Tiled doesn't support.

Return to “Ideas and Game Features”