Somebody says he want to contribute...

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

eguitarz
Contributor

Somebody says he want to contribute...

Postby eguitarz » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:09 pm

Today, one person asked me that he wants to contributes his "voice". Well, I don't think HoA will provide the character voices(in dialog). Or I was wrong? It seems we don't have many "females" in the team, I think all contributors and staffs are "men". But we have at least 2 females as the important characters... :heh:
Field: Editor
Quest: Supports sprites feature
rujasu
Developer

Re: Somebody says he want to contribute...

Postby rujasu » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:05 am

Character voices in dialog is a non-priority, especially right now, since we don't actually have any dialogue. (In battle, it's a possibility for sound effects.)

Once we release the demo, there will be a bit of dialogue, and in that case I'm totally open to the idea of interested parties taking on an audio dialogue project. I would support including it in the official project if some people can put together good dialogue recordings. However, the team itself should work on getting a working game together; most of the work regarding this would have to come from the user community. (This is all just my opinion, of course.)
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:41 pm

Yeah, we definitely want to wait on something like this until the dialogue of the game is clearly set in stone. If we would even consider it then.

The problem with voiceovers is that it's so insanely hard to make them sound good. I've heard lots of commercial games with crappy voiceovers.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:10 pm

Jetryl wrote:Yeah, we definitely want to wait on something like this until the dialogue of the game is clearly set in stone. If we would even consider it then.

The problem with voiceovers is that it's so insanely hard to make them sound good. I've heard lots of commercial games with crappy voiceovers.

Yeah, and the typical mechanics of RPG dialogue are terrible for voice acting. There are numerous problems, such as:

Even if every line of dialogue is voice-acted, which never happens, and all of the actors are competent, the speech kind of comes out of nowhere. You have long periods of no speech at all, with occasional bouts of dialogue. Sounds... awkward.

You can talk to people multiple times. They say the same thing, with the same phrasing, in the same tone. This would sound terrible in theatre or film. In games, it's necessary because of technical limitations, and this isn't likely to get better for a while.

The dialogue doesn't continue without the user's input. This sounds completely unnatural, because the pacing isn't realistic. It doesn't sound like an actual conversation. This is especially bad if the dialogue is mostly short back-and-forth lines, such as:

CLAUDIUS: Hey, Laila!

(pause, while the player reads dialogue)

LAILA: Where were you? You're late!

(pause while the player scratches his nose)

CLAUDIUS: Um...

(pause)

LAILA: Never mind.

There are other problems, but those factors are really impossible to ignore, no matter how talented your voice actors are.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:13 am

I'll briefly state my stance on using voice dialogue in Allacrost:

1) I think it should be used for "human sounds" (e.g. "augh!", "hiyaa!", "hmmph", etc.)

2) I think it is infeasible to do full voice recording for the entire game and we shouldn't even contemplate that

3) One big problem with adding voices is that remember our audience is multi-lingual. To fully complete it, we'd need voices in English, French, German, Japanese, etc.

4) Other than the allowance of (1), someday in the future I might be convinced that its okay to do voice acting for special scenes (cut-scenes with non-repeating dialogue). That's only if we get a huge community and a lot of support for that feature though.
prophile

Postby prophile » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Roots wrote:1) I think it should be used for "human sounds" (e.g. "augh!", "hiyaa!", "hmmph", etc.)

Agreed, as long as it doesn't sound corny.

Roots wrote:2) I think it is infeasible to do full voice recording for the entire game and we shouldn't even contemplate that

Just how much text would we be talking about here?

Roots wrote:3) One big problem with adding voices is that remember our audience is multi-lingual. To fully complete it, we'd need voices in English, French, German, Japanese, etc.

Watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon some day. The voices are in the original Mandarin, with English subtitles. Since there's always text anyway, have the voices done in English no matter want for the phrasing, with localised subtitles.

Roots wrote:4) Other than the allowance of (1), someday in the future I might be convinced that its okay to do voice acting for special scenes (cut-scenes with non-repeating dialogue). That's only if we get a huge community and a lot of support for that feature though.

So if we were to get a load of recordings for current dialogue anyway, you'd turn them down?
Last edited by prophile on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alastair Lynn / Resident Whinger / Allacrost
eguitarz
Contributor

Postby eguitarz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:12 pm

prophile wrote:Watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon some day. The voices are in the original Japanese, with English subtitles. Since there's always text anyway, have the voices done in English no matter want for the phrasing, with localised subtitles.

Well, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is not in original Japanese, It's in CHINESE(The director and actors are Chinese too). Both language are totally different.
Field: Editor
Quest: Supports sprites feature
prophile

Postby prophile » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:14 pm

Slip of the tongue. So fixed! The point still stands, though.
Alastair Lynn / Resident Whinger / Allacrost
Klesk
Contributor

Postby Klesk » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:12 pm

Roots wrote: I think it is infeasible to do full voice recording for the entire game and we shouldn't even contemplate that

Maybe just record most important dialogues - to be honest when you get a simple quest to do you don't care whether that NPC voice was recorded or not and just want to get gold and XP.

Return to “Ideas and Game Features”