character classes or jobs

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

Kyolux

Postby Kyolux » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:00 am

I remember FFVII characters who you didn't played with still would lvl up from time to time. And yeah, FFX forced you to swap all the time and the battles ended up being a bit too slow when just killing stuff around for some xp.
Pitar

Postby Pitar » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:38 am

If anyone has played Asheron's Call I they might recall the skill system that was used in there.
You had x points to divide between stats and skills at the beginning and then as you gained xp you put pts into each stat/skill. This would complicate the character classes design but will put an innovative idea of strategy into character building/playing.

To insure it rolls along with the plot all party NPC can have starting skills/stats suggesting a class theme, and player can decide to change that theme yet know that the npc was meant to be specific class. It reminds me of FFV where very flexible class system was applied over characters with specific classes already in mind. (I.E. Galuf was a monk, Faris was a knight/warrior).
The DJ of Allacrost

Character Movement

Postby The DJ of Allacrost » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:36 am

Yeah , thats a good idea. On the map you see your main character ( claudius ) walking around and when it goes to battle the crew you had last time will automatically come up...

Have you thought of a Chrono Trigger-esqe scheme where your party members are always walking behind you in "follow-the-leader" fashion?

Also, have you thought of the battles taking place right where you are? Chrono Trigger did this and I have heard that FF 12 will be doing this as well. This is in contrast to wiping into some generic area for fighting.
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:18 am

That concept (battels on the main map) has been discussed. However, it didn't really fit with the style and battle system that we decided on.

As far as follow the leader goes, you'll have to wait and see.
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
Burnsaber

Postby Burnsaber » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:09 pm

Okay, i use the rolemaster RPG system and all the ideas suggested underneath are from there;

Summoning-- It has nothing special in itself but it can be implended specially, in Rolemaster the animal dont just zap up infront of you. Instead it comes with its own pace, birds will come flying, foxes running etc. So the animal you get is closely tied to region you`re travelling in(no snow bears in desert!). This could be implended like castin the summoning spell at battle and having the creature appear later in battle. Flying creatures would come faster, but they could be less powerfull than those tied to earth.

Healing-- In rolemaster Healing in made by Clerics. Instead healing someone`s wounds the Cleric absords the victims wounds into himself, and uses his own bodys endurance and his/her spells to heal himself. Thsi also a great way to limit town healing --> The town healer also has his/hers limit how much damage he/she can heal. Also thus being a healer requires a lot unselfisness. In D&D also evil clerics can heal (just not quite right..)

Illusionists-- These are also something almost never used. Illusionists could create illusions on themselves making them look "much" more powerfull and maybe causing the enemies to flee. They could also use them to create dummies for enemies to hit at etc... The possibilities are almost limitless!
I'm the 50th person who joined on these forums! I'm special!
BigPapaN0z
Artist

Agreed

Postby BigPapaN0z » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:14 am

Great ideas, Burnsaber! I especially like and agree with the illusionist idea. Being an avid AD&D player, and the illusionist being one of my fav classes to play, I think it would be great to see something similar implemented. Although it would have to be a 'limited' illusionist, it would make for an interesting twist and add more strategy to the fights and maybe even add a new way to roleplay.
[img:256:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/bigpapan0z/bpn_allacrost_sig.png[/img]
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:44 am

We're definitely open to new class ideas as new characters enter the story.

60 Tauren Shaman

31 Orc Warrior

21 Tauren Druid

18 Night Elf Hunter

12 Orc Warlock

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:33 am

:| Like I said so long ago (I assume), I'm not a fan of the idea of having "classes". Rather, I'd like to see each character have their own unique combination of skills and abilities. I don't want to say "Oh, we can't give this character a light healing spell because he's a WARRIOR." or "This character can't have any physical attacks because he's a MAGE". Kinda like that. I just don't like classifying people in general (engineers, artists, etc) because the truth is that people can do anything [at least that's my belief].

I like the Illusionists idea though. That could be something unique and interesting to see in the game...;)
Burnsaber

Postby Burnsaber » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:44 am

Illusions also have that good side in them that it even fits to air- magic gategory. So if you don`t want one mage to limit himself "just" illusions, you can give them to simple air mage. If the battle system supports new monsters coming to battle it wouldn`t be too hard to implent illusions coming to "battle". Just make the new summons have 1hp and no attacks. Some ideas below;

combo-spell with figther type character; Invisible Weapon- turns the fighters weapon invisble for one blow, increases chance to hit as opponent has difficulties to dodge the blow.

Hallusination; opponent suddenly sees an enemy that actually ain`t there. The opponent will fight against his/her/its hallusination until he/she/it gets hit by enemy attack.

Mirror image; Classic

Invisibility; Target cannot be target of attacks until he attacks or casts a spell.

Meh.. I cold imagine what kind of pain in the ass could illusioninst boss be. The boss gets first blow and casts somethin like "mirror images" and suddenly there are 10 bosses! Which is the right one?
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:25 pm

Burnsaber wrote:Meh.. I cold imagine what kind of pain in the ass could illusioninst boss be. The boss gets first blow and casts somethin like "mirror images" and suddenly there are 10 bosses! Which is the right one?

you've got some good ideas, but this one would be quite annoying! lol
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:31 am

Argh, reminds me of Son of Sun from Chrono Trigger.

60 Tauren Shaman

31 Orc Warrior

21 Tauren Druid

18 Night Elf Hunter

12 Orc Warlock

BigPapaN0z
Artist

Maybe...

Postby BigPapaN0z » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:02 am

Instead of a boss making copies of himself, maybe he could use a special "summon" that would all be illusions. And you couldn't hit him until they were all dead. Just a possibility...
[img:256:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/bigpapan0z/bpn_allacrost_sig.png[/img]
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:56 pm

影分身の術!!!
(KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU!!!)

.....ok, maybe not :heh:
Burnsaber

Postby Burnsaber » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:51 pm

Roots wrote:影分身の術!!!
(KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU!!!)

.....ok, maybe not :heh:

Umm... What?
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:44 pm

Don't mind him, he's insane.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:50 pm

It's a reference to Naruto (Japanese anime/manga). Obviously you haven't watched/read it yet (which may be a good thing actually). But if you did you'd get the joke and you'd be laughing like me, ho ho ho!!! :heh:
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:43 am

Oh, well if it's Naruto, then it's definitely a good thing you haven't watched/read it yet.

60 Tauren Shaman

31 Orc Warrior

21 Tauren Druid

18 Night Elf Hunter

12 Orc Warlock

Eve

Postby Eve » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:08 pm

I think it's better if every character can learn any abilities, not limited only to their job class. Also equipment play an important role. For example: a mage is so infamous for its low physical defense, but if we equip him/her with a good equipment then it'll be possible for him/her to have a good defense like other characters.

Classes only affect how fast a character learn an ability. In this case, a knight need more exp to learn a spell rather then a mage. Of course they can't use other type of weapons, like a swordman using bow. Or you could make the ability to learn other weapon? It'll be pretty interesting if our character can learn to use other weapons ^-^

As for the battle... I think random battle is not a really good idea. Probably it's better if we can see the enemy and decide to enggage in a battle or run away from it. Like in the real world, we can see our enemy before we actually get caught up in a battle. Those enemies just don't pop up out of no where.
-- ThE.wOrlD.iS.nOt.bEaUtiFuL, thEreForE.iT.is --
Sylon
Artist

Postby Sylon » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:53 am

Roots wrote:

Kinda like that. I just don't like classifying people in general (engineers, artists, etc) because the truth is that people can do anything [at least that's my belief].

I think that sounds realistic, but also, having job classes is sort of like, you are learning to be an expert at that job, and in doing so, you sort of have to limit yourself.  Sort of like, to focus on getting your master's degree in that "job"!  Through that "learning" they gain skills they wouldn't have had before.

In life and death situations, switching "abilities" midway WOULD be more realistic, but for the sake of video games, I think we could make something up to pretend the act of focusing solely on the job is what's necessary!

I like either jobs or not, I was just posting this because I like jobs too.  Hehe.
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Tue May 31, 2005 8:31 am

Job classes are a mixed bag.  What I do like about them, is that you have diversity and re-playability.  You don't have time in game to develop every class, and often times... you can't (D&D for example).  The suck part is, you end up with this high level mage that you hoped would get a cool spell, but he turns out to be an illusionist, and while he had a neat trick at lvl 2, at lvl 14, he's not all that useful.

That being said, here's (oh God, not prescion again) how I am doing it in my game.

There are 8 jobs.  Basically, four are fighter type jobs, and 4 are mage / theif type jobs.  Each is really a hybrid of some sort.

Zealot is a pure fighter with single boosting tactics and some unique skills.  Soldier is the weapons master, a hardcore fighter, and diverse.  Avatar is basically a paladin, combination leader (party booster), healer and strong fighter.  Hunter is a thief, black mage, and fighter.  Rogue is more or less a pure thief with some leadership.  Doctor is a healer type.  Scientist is a healer, status booster, wildcard type.  Reverant is the awesome summoner / blackmage type.

Now, here's the neat part.

Bear in mind I have done away with leveling, character swaping, and such like that (more of FFIV where if you need to make room for a party member, you kill someone off).  Heh, my story kills more people than Joss Weedon.

About 1/3rd of the skills in this game are available to all.  Free skills really, or at least, available to most.

Another 1/3rd (general class abilities like sneak) are available as easy to most, but incur a hefty penalty to other classes.

The final 1/3rd (specific weapons, high end class skills) are available only to some, or one class.  These abilities are balanced between the characters, so that each character gets a really useful blend of combat assault, combat support, and non-combat abilties.

The one thing I wanted to avoid was the idea of the "ghetto paladin" which you can make by dual-classing a white mage and a warrior.  I also wanted to try and break from the tradition of everything being a warrior, theif, cleric, mage.  Although I can't go far without alienating the community, I can do something.

So really, without going back and quoting everyone and sounding like Al Gore, going "I agree... I agree... I agree...," I'm just going to leave it at that.

I really do like the player swapping idea.  What I like more is we are deliberatly tackling the issues that bugged us all about other past RPGS... tedium.

Return to “Ideas and Game Features”