Elemental System

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

What kind of elemental system would you like to see?

A small number of elements (~8) with pair-wise effects
46%
A small number of elements(~8) with non-pair wise effects
15%
A large number of elements (>> 8) with pair-wise effects
No votes
A large number of elements(>> 8) with non-pair wise effects
15%
Who needs an element system anyway? Axe the thing all together.
No votes
Element systems like this have been overdone. Do something totally different instead! (elaborate if you select this please)
23%

Total votes: 13
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:01 pm

More food on the table.
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:06 am

speaking as a lagging artist, I agree with balthazar.  The only way I'd see an easy option of this would be if you could easily explain the type of bonus on a minimalistic level for terrain, as such that if you were fighting a fire monster in the desert, using an ice spell would still kick ass.  And on that logic, the environment effect is minimal anyway, almost rendering it unneeded.

Still, it is more strategy.  Certainly would be useful in my game!
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:35 am

Loodwig wrote:speaking as a lagging artist, I agree with balthazar.  The only way I'd see an easy option of this would be if you could easily explain the type of bonus on a minimalistic level for terrain, as such that if you were fighting a fire monster in the desert, using an ice spell would still kick ass.  And on that logic, the environment effect is minimal anyway, almost rendering it unneeded.

Agreed. Sometimes I get very, very worried about the number of features we have planned. These features all sound great on their own, but when we put everything together, is it going to work out okay? :uhoh: There's not much we can do just speculating about it. We just have to actually implement it and see. :)
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:01 am

Personally, I really liked the "orb" system they had in Warcraft III - a player could acquire these magic orbs, each pertaining (sort of) to a certain strain of magic.

These orbs passively improved the character's attack simply by being in the character's possession.  They all added damage, and each added it's own unique effect.

They were, and I mention this just for you to mine ideas from:
Orb of Fire - light splash damage
Orb of Frost - slows victim's move & attack for a few seconds
Orb of Venom - poisons victim for a few seconds
Orb of Corruption - lowers enemy armor for a few seconds
Orb of Darkness - turns the enemy into an allied, animated skeleton if it's the killing blow

Orb of Lightning - would occasionally trigger the spell effect "purge", clearing the victim of magic effects and stunning it for a second.
Orb of Slow - would occasionally trigger the spell effect "slow", which lasted much longer than being frosted

There were some other, special ones you could get only in campaigns, such as the Orb of Kiljaeden (a demon lord), or the even more powerful Shadow Orb.

----

It was the passive nature of them that really sold them for me - no "imbuing the weapon" with them, or otherwise - they instead gave you, the character, that power.  What I'd like to see more of would be that power manifesting itself in different ways for different types of players.

Let's take our fire orb.  Might help all players resist cold magic, somewhat.  For mages, I would make it also enhance any fire-magic capabilities.  For warriors, they would gain bonuses in fighting against anything vulnerable to fire - almost as though they had a greater "fire in their spirit".  For priests, they would be able to ward and relieve the effects of cold more strongly.  I think it would be inappropriate for warriors to suddenly start causing fire to billow out of their blade, but a subtle added strength against ice creatures both in attack and defense would help.  An archer would have much more powerful flame arrows.  A thief could use ninja-style explosives with much more effect (or spit liquid fire - burning alcohol - much better).

The idea is that the orb does not create fire; it *amplifies* and augments it.  The characters cannot use it to suddenly create fire, but anything they do with fire created by other means becomes much more powerful.

Almost as if by magic.  :cool:

True

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:07 am

I voted for a large number of elements (>> 8) with non-pair wise effects because even though it's "common-place" I think it's less common-place than pair-wise effects and I like having lots of elements to look after. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm drawing a blank on what other kind of system you could have.

Well let me just say that its unique.

Return to “Ideas and Game Features”