Porting Hero of Allacrost to the Web Browser

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

atarax

Porting Hero of Allacrost to the Web Browser

Postby atarax » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:15 pm

I had this idea after looking at allacrost that it would be a great game to have playable in a web browser with social features.

It has a great battle system where you could then battle your friends via facebook and other features like that.

I make a living working on facebook games and social features like this so after my next project is done in a few months i may look into it.

Has this been attempted before? What do you guys think?
rujasu
Developer

Re: Porting Hero of Allacrost to the Web Browser

Postby rujasu » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:46 pm

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your feedback.

I can't speak for Roots or others on the team, but I'd say this is probably not something we're particularly interested in. Allacrost isn't intended to be a web application, nor is it a for-profit venture.

The idea of a Facebook page related to Allacrost is an interesting one, but I think that's something the core members of the team would have to discuss before anything were to happen on that front.

Again, I'm only part of the team so don't take that as the official word.
atarax

Postby atarax » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:51 am

im unfamiliar with open source licensing.

Is there something that would prevent anyone from converting this over to a web game and making some money off of it?

Why would the core team need to "discuss" it or approve it?

Thanks
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:05 pm

A few notes real quick.

- No attempt nor thought has ever been given to port Allacrost to anything other than other PC operating systems.

- I have no interest in making money off of Hero of Allacrost. The reason this project has survived as long as it has is because it is a free/open initiative.

- In my personal opinion, the game is not yet ready to consider porting it to the web or anything else. We still have a lot of work to do with our current source.

- To port it anyway, I think you'd have to re-write the entire project from the ground up. I'm not very familiar with web development though so who knows what it would take.

- While I believe you're allowed to use the existing source code and art, we still retain copyright over the story, characters, etc. of this game. I believe it would be illegal to try and distribute or sell derivative works, (sequels etc) unless you created your own unique game universe. I'm not a lawyer, but I did take a graduate level course in intellectual property law years ago. So if you wanted to port the game to whatever medium and begin selling it, you'd need to seek approval from the copyright holders (us). And if we were to ever grant such approval, you can be sure that we're going to be wanting a large share of the revenue.

I don't think its necessarily a bad idea, but we're focused on the PC platform right now and I think diluting or distracting our focus with alternative platforms would be counter productive for us at this point. Maybe sometime in the future when the game is a little more mature and established this could be a more plausible proposal, but again I've never had any interest in making money off of this project.
atarax

Postby atarax » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks for the reply roots, i read it along time ago and just havent replied until now.

I agree its not good to distract focus, just an idea i had.
Im making a multiplayer facebook game right now which will be done in a few months.

Once that's done i was going to look into the allacrost code and see how difficult it would be to port over to the flash platform.
Obviously the lua scripting would be a problem, but other than that i don't see it being an issue.

I would also make sure you guys received a large portion of the revenue if i were to make money off it since you have done all the artwork,story etc...
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Seeing as Flash is closed-source, and has a history of issues with Linux support, I can't say I'd be keen on the idea of seeing a Flash version of Allacrost. :shrug:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:11 am

I know next to nothing about flash development, but I'm skeptical that it would be easy to port an entire C++ game over there. Does Flash support OpenGL? OpenAL? SDL? If not, the entire engine needs to be re-implemented using whatever equivalent library Flash has.

I appreciate that you're willing to give us a share of the pie if this proposal actually becomes reality, but I'm really doubtful that you can make it happen. As long as nothing you do violates the terms of our licensing, you're sure free to give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Return to “Ideas and Game Features”