What's your take on Contractual Boss Immunity?

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

Psiweapon

What's your take on Contractual Boss Immunity?

Postby Psiweapon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:12 pm

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ContractualBossImmunity

We all know there are loads of games in which boss monsters shrug off anything that's not physical or elemental damage.

Since I saw you had a quite long running thread on status ailments, what's your take on bosses' immunities?

Inb4 "TVtropes ate/ruined life" posts :devil:
Roots
Dictator

Re: What's your take on Contractual Boss Immunity?

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:05 pm

That's a good point that you bring up. Personally, I always hated that bosses were always immune to status effects. I'd like bosses to not have this sort of immunity in Allacrost, so that the player can factor status effects into their strategy. Plus, it makes it easier from a coding/design perspective if we do not give individual enemy units resistance or immunity to certain status effects. I don't know what everyone else thinks though, because I don't think we've ever really discussed this topic.

Unfortunately right now, this makes the first boss way too easy. The player can simply use the stun strike ability, which paralyzes its target for a few seconds, over and over and kill the boss without taking a single hit. The game is not balanced right now though so we may be able to fix this just by adjusting character and boss stats appropriately.
Psiweapon

Re: What's your take on Contractual Boss Immunity?

Postby Psiweapon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Suggestions:

-Give the giant flapjacking scorpion a stun attack :devil:

-Make stun chance-based

-Make stun affect only one of the boss' parts - maybe the head won't do anything but the pincers will still try to snap you in half (if that even makes sense)

-Make bosses not immune but resistant: give them a better chance to shrug off status ailments, but not immune.

-Stun does not stack: you can stun a monster for a while, but it will always have at least one turn between stunned periods. The same could work for players too - if you're stunned, you are guaranteed a turn before you're stunned again. That would make battles against stunning monster very strategic - even with potential for being That One Boss

-That last one can be topped with some icing: make bosses perform special "retaliation" attacks if you use particularly underhanded methods against them(like a full party swipe attack, even if it isn't very powerful) , or at least make them try to status rape you too if you try that on them.

Return to “Ideas and Game Features”