Yelling!

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

roos
Developer

Yelling!

Postby roos » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:09 pm

Alright don't laugh, this is a true story :p

I was spacing out today, thinking about some art and music that Sylon and Rain created, specifically Sylon's purple snake and Rain's fight theme (from a while ago), and how awesome they were. Suddenly I had an involuntary mental image of us 3 standing on a battlefield and them throwing their music and art at me, causing me suddenly become extremely inspired and have a "limit break", screaming "hissatsu, double compile!" and suddenly pumping out a lot of code.

Then it hit me. Maybe we can do this for Allacrost. If you've ever played FFT, Ramza has something called "Yell" where he can yell at a teammate which motivates them and raises their speed stat. So basically, we could make it so that certain members of the party have a skill (maybe this would just be one character, or maybe some/all characters have this skill) that pumps up your teammates and brings them closer to limit breaks. This is kind of like "heroes" in some RTS games where characters close to a hero become more powerful.

We'd have to be careful though or the battle system would be completely broken. In FFT it was somewhat of a cheap trick that you could just stand around and make Ramza keep yelling at himself until he has a speed of 50 and gets like 6 turns per enemy turn. (basically invincible)

Anyway just an idea :)

Edit: btw I know other games have spells where you can increase teammate's stats, but I don't know if they have been applied specifically to limit breaks.

roos
Rain
Musician

Re: Yelling!

Postby Rain » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:50 am

roos wrote:Alright don't laugh, this is a true story :p

I was spacing out today, thinking about some art and music that Sylon and Rain created, specifically Sylon's purple snake and Rain's fight theme (from a while ago), and how awesome they were. Suddenly I had an involuntary mental image of us 3 standing on a battlefield and them throwing their music and art at me, causing me suddenly become extremely inspired and have a "limit break", screaming "hissatsu, double compile!" and suddenly pumping out a lot of code.

BWAHWAHA!!!  Inspiration can have such a funny face.  :heh:

Anyways, Good idea.  If you have ever played Breath of Fire then you are probably aware of the Guts system which will sometimes allow the player to keep fighting after losing all of their hit points. " 'So and So' grits his teeth" and they can continue the fight after receiving a death blow...Another idea would be to have a desperation attack like in FF6 when your HP get too low, you dish out a kick ass attack.  I think we should have some sort of adrenaline rush type attack to increase strength on the battlefield, or maybe we can increase stats during that time consistent with the characters personality.  (Ex) Claudius turns red gives a war cry and his strength and speed double.  Laila does a backflip, gives off a green aura and she gets 2X the magic cast per turn and 1MP casts for an allotted time.  We could really tool around with this alot to really give the battle sequences even more depth.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:41 am

First of all, your thread title is so ambiguous I thought you were talking about something completely different at first (the characters 'yelling' as they did their attacks). So is this about the skill 'yell' in FFT (which I have played and know about BTW), or about limit breaks/special attacks, or what?

Anyway, 'yell' would be classified as a support skill in Allacrost, because it....well, supports. :heh: I think its a good idea for a skill. The 'hero effect' in RTS games probably can't apply here though, because we have so few characters (although, I did just get a good idea to use that type of 'always on' skill that can work in well with the plot ideas I have...)

As far as limit breaks/whatever are concerned, of course I want to have some kind of special skills in the game, but I don't want to just re-use a system that's already been done. In FFVI you could take advantage of it because you could purposely get your characters to low health so they could use the skill, or in FFVII you could charge your limit break meter until just before you fight a boss. I'd prefer it if the user didn't have much control/knowledge of when these special skills would be available to them, because that would make them all the more special. ;)
roos
Developer

Postby roos » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:48 am

Roots wrote:First of all, your thread title is so ambiguous

Haha sorry about that. Basically my post was talking about the idea of having a move where one character could increase the "limit break counter" of another character.

Roots wrote:I'd prefer it if the user didn't have much control/knowledge of when these special skills would be available to them, because that would make them all the more special. ;)

Alright nevermind then :)

roos
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:01 am

roos wrote:Alright don't laugh, this is a true story :p

Haha that's awesome! That's from Battle Programmer Shirase isn't it? I need to go rewatch that...
roos
Developer

Postby roos » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:17 am

Wow, you're so cool!!! I'm surprised anyone would even catch that reference, it's pretty freaking obscure :approve: Well, I guess it makes sense, programmers watching anime about... programmers :D
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:38 am

Gawd you guys are freaking dorks!!!

(I feel so left out.)

:(
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:42 am

roos wrote:I was spacing out today, thinking about some art and music that Sylon and Rain created, specifically Sylon's purple snake and Rain's fight theme (from a while ago), and how awesome they were. Suddenly I had an involuntary mental image of us 3 standing on a battlefield and them throwing their music and art at me, causing me suddenly become extremely inspired and have a "limit break", screaming "hissatsu, double compile!" and suddenly pumping out a lot of code.

As soon as I read this paragraph I was ROFLMAO, and not just because of "double compile". Though it did add the spike to the punch :D

Rain wrote:Gawd you guys are freaking dorks!!!

(I feel so left out.)

:(

Aww, poor Ryan. I'm sure there's anime out there about musicians for musicians! ... maybe :angel:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:44 pm

Come to think of, Phil didn't I invent the "double compile" move sometime during our senior year? It sounds really really familiar, and something stupid/funny that I would normally come up with...
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:10 pm

Roots wrote:Come to think of, Phil didn't I invent the "double compile" move sometime during our senior year? It sounds really really familiar, and something stupid/funny that I would normally come up with...

Hrm :huh:
No, I'm pretty sure that's from Battle Programmer. But you did come up with funny things.

I am shay, you must obey.

Return to “Ideas and Game Features”