Real-time battles, a welcome change of pace?

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

What battle engine design should Allacrost implement?

(1) Traditional FF-style turn-based ATB. Stick with what works.
50%
(2) Blocking real-time style. I want something different and more fast-paced!
29%
(3) Non-blocking real-time style. Lets let it all go loose!
21%

Total votes: 14
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:29 pm

I had an idea yesterday. We have two camps here basically. People who want real-time, fast-paced action comabat and people who want turn-based, strategic combat. How do we strike a balance?

Well, remember in FFVI in those intense battles where every split second count, and you didn't have the luxury to take the time to select your next command? I hated that, even though I usually like fast-action battles. So here's my idea:

Allow the player to select a character's action before the stamina bar is full. As soon as the stamina bar begins filling (not when it's in warm-up or cool-down mode though), prompt the player to enter an action for the character. Then when the character's bar is full, they could already have the command entered and be off. That way, we still allow the player a small window of time to select commands with no penalty. If we didn't allow the player to enter commands until the bar was full, then every fraction of a second they take to select the command is a fraction that their enemy gains on them, which I :disapprove: of.

I dunno. Maybe it's a good idea, maybe it's not. Tell me what you think guys. If you need me to explain it more clearly I can try to elaborate. It's kind of hard to explain how I think this should work just by typing about it.
Ray

Postby Ray » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:13 am

I think that would work quite well.
visage
Former Staff

Postby visage » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:33 pm

What about the whole "can attack even when stamina isn't full, just do less damage" scheme?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:41 pm

visage wrote:What about the whole "can attack even when stamina isn't full, just do less damage" scheme?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that... :heh:

Well, either after the user inputs the command we also let them choose whether to execute the action *right now* or once the stamina bar is full. We could do this by either presenting a menu giving the two options (yuck), or we could use two keys. Ie if the user presses 'confirm' after selecting the action it does one thing, or if they press 'swap' it will select the other thing.

Or, we could throw out one of the two features, either the 'select attacks before stamina full' or 'allow character to attack even when stamina isn't full'. I think it might be in our best interests to do one or the other and not both, because it becomes a little too controlled and micromanaged and confusing for the player otherwise, I fell. :shrug:
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:43 am

Roots wrote:I had an idea yesterday. We have two camps here basically. People who want real-time, fast-paced action comabat and people who want turn-based, strategic combat. How do we strike a balance?

Hmmm...This may seem a bit radical...but is there a way we can implement both?  It might be a really cool idea to splice real time and turn based combat given that its done in a believable fun way.  Imagine combining a Legend of Zelda combat system with a Final Fantasy combat system?  It might attractt a new element of attraction to battles and keep things from getting redundant on the battle situation, although that probably won't be a problem anyways with the features we are going to implement.  I dunno, just a suggestion.  Its probably not feasible  but its certainly worth a thought.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Return to “Ideas and Game Features”