Adversary strenghts

Got a great idea for HoA or wish to discuss a current feature? Let us know about it!

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Adversary strenghts

Postby Roots » Sun May 14, 2006 5:39 am

For a long time we've talked about how enemies can have various levels of difficulty based on the player's level and a random gaussian variable. My question/proposition is: should this rule not apply to bosses and "distinguished" adversaries? Defeating a boss is like clearing a major obstacle in RPGs, so maybe we should set the bar for each boss and not attempt to change it... :huh:
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Sun May 14, 2006 8:38 am

I like the idea! It's more fair between the players anyway. Think if I can beat a boss with my wooden sword and a buckler whereas you're having trouble with your magical King's Blessed +9 weaponry and armour :)

The bosses should act as obstacles and therefore, there mustn't be any chance to get rid of them only with some good random-numbers. If the players knew that, they'd probably just replay it over and over again until they got a boss that was weak enough for them to beat.
Ray

Postby Ray » Mon May 22, 2006 5:15 am

If you make the difficulty variable for random encounters but not bosses, you should probably have a difficulty cap for each given area. Otherwise, the random guards could end up being more powerful than the boss, if the player is a bit overly prepared.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon May 22, 2006 6:53 am

Hmm, good point. I didn't think of that. Well hopefully unless we really screw up the balancing system, bosses should always be harder than the enemies in the surrounding area.
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Wed May 31, 2006 4:41 pm

If you're doing random encounters, you can go with "fewer enemies as you get higher in level" which has two advamtages:

1 - the obvious fewer encounters

2 - less leveling, creating an artificial level cap.

Say if a boss is lvl 30 and the surrounding enemies are lvl 20-30 in strength, you soup up the boss, and if the players do reach lvl 30, all they encounter are the few lvl 30 enemies (and less often too).
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed May 31, 2006 6:06 pm

Loodwig wrote:If you're doing random encounters, you can go with "fewer enemies as you get higher in level" which has two advamtages:

1 - the obvious fewer encounters

2 - less leveling, creating an artificial level cap.

Say if a boss is lvl 30 and the surrounding enemies are lvl 20-30 in strength, you soup up the boss, and if the players do reach lvl 30, all they encounter are the few lvl 30 enemies (and less often too).

I love this. :) Specifically I love "fewer enemies as you get higher in level". I don't really agree that creating an artificial level cap is a good thing, because I think that a player should be able to level up as much as they care to. But the fact that higher levels results in fewer encounters is definitely nice. :approve:

Return to “Ideas and Game Features”