Allacrost Demo Beta Testing

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Allacrost Demo Beta Testing

Postby Roots » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:45 am

Hello everyone. We're very close to getting our first demo release out the door, but we reed your help to test it. The demo itself is not complete as far as what we wanted to be in there, nor is it very fun (we still lack a lot of the artwork we need to make it more complete). So keep that it mind as you play. Also please keep this "pre-release" just between us forum members (don't talk about it anywhere other than this thread). Its not quite ready for public consumption yet as we have a few more fixes/changes pending.

Here are the releases:

Windows Demo
OS X Demo
Linux/Source Demo

There's no real "manual" yet, but you can view a list of the game controls here: http://allacrost.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... e_Controls

Basically what you can do right now is:
- play around in the boot screen, modify some options, view the credits
- walk around on a map, talk to NPCs
- bring up the character menu from the map, use potions, view equipment
- fight in random encounters

Like I said, not much. But we have to start somewhere. :)

If you experience a problem compiling, building, installing, or running the demo, please post in this thread and let us know about it. Some of the issues we already know about, others we might not. It would help if you could copy and paste the template below into your post to make it easier to identify and resolve your issue. Thanks!

Code: Select all

===========================================================
[b]Problem Type[/b]
(Select from: Compiling, Installing, Running)

[b]Frequency of Problem Occurence[/b]
(Select from: Rarely, Frequently, Always)

[b]My Operating System[/b]
> (Be as specific as possible. "Windows" is not very specific)

[b]Problem Description[/b]

[b]Additional Notes[/b]

Last edited by Roots on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:10 am

I've been registered to these forums for some time, but I've never posted. And look what pops right into my mailbox, Allacrost beta testing! I'm going to check this out for sure...
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:27 am

Problem Type
Running

Frequency of Problem Occurence
Always AFAIK

My System
Windows XP sp2
Athelon xp 2100
DirectX 9.1
M-Audio Audiophile USB
Radeon X1300 series

Problem Description
When conversing (or trying to converse) while a random battle loads, the game crashes (black screen, world music, no keyboard response). Had to force-quit to get it to turn off. I've gotten the problem to happen twice, when talking to that moustache guy (random battle just happened to occur each time).

Additional Notes
Is it possible to set the default music / sound levels to less than 100% by default (like, 70%). It wasn't much to change it, but it did kind of hurt my ears and make my speakers clip (it was much louder than the windows mixer).

I'll continue to try things, just to see what happens. The scrolling credits looks great.

"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:31 pm

Thanks Joe. I think I know what the problem is (the fade-in to battle was added just a day or two ago), and should be relatively easy to fix with a small hack. And yeah we should probably lower the default volume. I think that maybe the sound volume should be a little louder than the music volume by default, because I've found that when both are at 100%, the music drowns out all of the sounds. :|
alenacat
Artist

Postby alenacat » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:54 pm

With FF games and pokemon I recall the random battles only occurred while the caharcter was moving, could that solve it? :cool:
I got a similar problem where the game crashed but the new additions made me giddy :D
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Postby EmreBFG » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:20 pm

Roots wrote:And yeah we should probably lower the default volume. I think that maybe the sound volume should be a little louder than the music volume by default, because I've found that when both are at 100%, the music drowns out all of the sounds. :|

That used to be a problem for me in a previous Windows build, but this time it's good. No oversaturation... actually, the sound might have been too loud (just a tad). I'll check when I get home.
ettin

Postby ettin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Problem Type
Installing

Frequency of Problem Occurence
Always

My Operating System
Debian GNU/Linux

Problem Description
1) Data files aren't installed on "make install".
2) allacrost expects data files to be in the current directory.

Additional Notes
For (1), I understand that allacrost has lots of data files and updating the makefiles everytime a new image/sound/whatever is added is a little annoying, specially at this stage of development. It should also be possible to generate such a list at install time. Here is an example (partially borrowed from Wesnoth):

--- Makefile.am   (revision 403)
+++ Makefile.am   (working copy)
@@ -151,3 +151,18 @@
   $(engine_SOURCES) \
   $(modes_SOURCES)

+data_dirs = dat img mus snd
+find_filter = -name .svn -prune -o -name ".\#*" -o -type d
+find_datadirs = ( cd $(top_srcdir) && find $(data_dirs) $(find_filter) -print )
+find_data = ( cd $(top_srcdir) && find $(data_dirs) $(find_filter) -o -print )
+
+install-data-local:
+  @$(NORMAL_INSTALL)
+  test -z "$(datadir)" || $(mkdir_p) "$(DESTDIR)$(datadir)"
+  ( $(find_datadirs) ) | while read dir; do \
+    $(mkdir_p) "$(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/$$dir"; \
+  done; \
+  ( $(find_data) ) | while read file; do \
+    echo $(INSTALL_DATA) "$$file" "$(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/$$file"; \
+    $(INSTALL_DATA) "$$file" "$(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/$$file"; \
+  done

I have not looked at (2) yet, but it shouldn't be difficult to fix: for example, checking both "datadir" and the current directory. It would also be interesting to add a command line option to specify the path to the data files.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:42 pm

ettin: yeah we know about both of those. We never setup an install target in our make system. And yeah Allacrost needs to be run in the directory where it exists to work. Kind of annoying, but other than using symlinks I don't know how else we could easily do this without modifying the code. :shrug:
ettin

Postby ettin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:13 pm

Roots wrote:ettin: yeah we know about both of those. We never setup an install target in our make system. And yeah Allacrost needs to be run in the directory where it exists to work. Kind of annoying, but other than using symlinks I don't know how else we could easily do this without modifying the code. :shrug:

Is it wrong to modify the code? ;)
Wuntvor
Developer

Postby Wuntvor » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:41 pm

Just out of curiosity, what kind of graphics card is required to actually handle this well? Is it using Hardware T&L? I am just asking because on my laptop it is mindnumbingly slow (2-3 fps), which is probably due to my integrated graphics card (one of those shitty intel onboard solutions :bash: ).

As soon as I get my desktop repaired I will finally be able to see Allacrost in all its glory.
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:46 pm

How well does your laptop support OpenGL? We do use hardware lighting, so if your card doesn't support that, then it would be trying to do it in software, hence the slow speed.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:00 pm

ettin wrote:
Roots wrote:ettin: yeah we know about both of those. We never setup an install target in our make system. And yeah Allacrost needs to be run in the directory where it exists to work. Kind of annoying, but other than using symlinks I don't know how else we could easily do this without modifying the code. :shrug:

Is it wrong to modify the code? ;)

In our case, yes. Windows, OS X, and Linux all install and run programs in different ways. Linux might want the binary in /usr/bin and all of the other data in /usr/share, while Windows might want it all in Program Files/Allacrost/*, and who knows. Note: I'm not very familiar at all with this so I might be very wrong.
turin

Postby turin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:39 pm

Operating system: Debian GNU/Linux

A stupid question, but one I need answered - what lua libraries do you need to compile the game? I already have a lot of the lua packages installed, but ./configure keeps giving me this error:

checking for luaopen_table in -llualib50... no
checking for luaopen_table in -llualib... no
Could not find the lualib library. Check that it is properly installed on your system

I don't want to have to install all of them to get them to work (that's a lot of download time), so any help woudl be appreciated.
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.
Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:21 pm

I run Debian too, and I have installed:

lua50
liblua50
liblua50-dev
liblualib50
liblualib50-dev
turin

Postby turin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:43 pm

Thanks. I was missing the last one - liblualib50-dev.

The sad thing is, I had been running through the list of lua packages, installing them all, and not getting it to work, and in frustration I stopped and posted here right before I installed that package. :(
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.

Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
ettin

Postby ettin » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:17 am

Roots wrote:In our case, yes. Windows, OS X, and Linux all install and run programs in different ways. Linux might want the binary in /usr/bin and all of the other data in /usr/share, while Windows might want it all in Program Files/Allacrost/*, and who knows. Note: I'm not very familiar at all with this so I might be very wrong.

Yeah, on unix, the binary should probably be installed in /usr/games and data files in /usr/share/games. But I don't think this represents a big problem at all.
You could define the path at compile time, and if none is given, default to ".".

#ifdef DATA_PATH
        std::string path = DATA_PATH;
#else
        std::string path = "";
#endif

I'm just trying to make packager's life easier :).
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:21 am

Yeah you're probably right. We should just define a function in utils.h that automatically sets up the path. Although how can you make sure that when you simply type "make" versus "make install" that the path info can be correct on both accounts? I mean, if we automatically look for data in /usr/games/share or whatever when the OS is Linux, people couldn't run the game on Linux without installing it on a system-wide basis.... :huh:
ettin

Postby ettin » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:39 am

Roots wrote:Yeah you're probably right. We should just define a function in utils.h that automatically sets up the path. Although how can you make sure that when you simply type "make" versus "make install" that the path info can be correct on both accounts? I mean, if we automatically look for data in /usr/games/share or whatever when the OS is Linux, people couldn't run the game on Linux without installing it on a system-wide basis.... :huh:

It shouldn't look for data in /usr/games/share, but rather in $datadir or something like that, which is defined by ./configure --datadir=DIR. (Also, remember that is is also possible to --prefix=$HOME/allacrost, so it isn't needed to install it system-wide.)

If you still don't want to change it until the game is more mature, it is always possible to add an option (say, --enable-data-install) to define the path based on datadir, and install data files there. If it isn't enabled, it would be the same as it is now.

EDIT. Btw, I can provide patches if you want, at least for the configure/makefiles part, I haven't looked at the source code yet.
Burnsaber

Postby Burnsaber » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:18 pm

Running

Always

Windows (I don't know too much about computers so i don't know what information is required :cry: . I tried to dig up something, but ended up just more confused.)
- Windows xp

Problem Description
- When trying to start the Allacrost.exe, windows gives an error message "Allacrost has noticed an error and must be closed".

Additional Notes
- If there's not enough informaton, could someone tell me what information is needed and how to get it?
I'm the 50th person who joined on these forums! I'm special!
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:35 pm

That's weird. :eyebrow: I've never seen any error message like that at all, so I'm guessing it must be a Windows specific/Windows build thing. MindFlayer or steu might be able to help you, but I'm in Linux land. :cool:

Return to “Design”