Allacrost Demo Beta Testing

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:29 pm

Burnsaber is there a stdout.txt, or stderr.txt in the folder with the Allacrost.exe? If so can you paste it here? Also can you post some specs of your pc, i.e. processor, video card, sound card etc...
Ray

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:43 am

Three (presumably) distinct problems. All were on the same system, so that information isn't duplicated.

===========================================================
Problem Type
Running

Frequency of Problem Occurence
Always

My Operating System
Windows 98
Graphics card: XPERT 98 AGP 2X
192 MB RAM

Problem Description 0
Program is terminally slow.

Additional Notes
This begins at the opening menu, before the game proper is even started.

The frame rate starts at around 32, and begins falling almost immediately, eventually hitting 0. I can still use the menu, but there's a lag of about five seconds between when a key is pressed and the program reacts.

According to System Monitor, I was only using 190 MB of memory while this was happening, so it isn't swapping that's causing the problem.

By comparison, Wesnoth (which I believe uses the same graphics library) will occasionally lag a little bit, but runs quite fast enough to be playable.

It seems to get worse when the music starts playing, but that could just be a coincidence. The sword animation at the start goes fairly smoothly most of the time.

Problem Description 1
The game seems to have a memory leak.

Additional Notes
Before starting the program, System Monitor showed 130 MB in use. After exiting, it was at 153.9. Checking it after several more runs showed values of 165.3 and later still, 190.4. The exact amount leaked after each run didn't seem to be constant, however no other programs (other than small background processes and the OS) were running during this time, so the leak is almost certainly in Allacrost.

Problem Description 2
Fullscreen mode doesn't work.

Additional Notes
Most of the times I've toggled fullscreen on, the screen adjusts its resolution, but then doesn't display anything from Allacrost. (It continues to display the desktop and the Allacrost directory in Windows Explorer.) One time it displayed an entirely black screen instead, and one time it crashed. There was no output to stdout or stderr.

DeveloperX
Contributor

Postby DeveloperX » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:42 am

:approve: :approve:

It ran flawlessly on my system.

HP a1520n, AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2048MB RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, nVidia GeForce 6150 LE (intergrated video) Windows XP Media Center (practically out the box condition..as it is not online)

I have one issue about the random battles.
Waaaay too frequent. I could not move 2 tiles before I was in a battle. After the battle, I was in another one almost 1 second after.

And, the menu system has a couple bugs:
The Status and Equip Status have different values. (HP, etc are different)

All in all though, this game is by far the best indie game I've[ seen.
Alright thats all I have time for tonight. goodnight. :D
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done? 57|106|143
Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis.
Speech is given to many; intelligence to few.
-DeveloperX
CCPS Solutions
Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:07 am

I thought I'd post on my experience trying to compile on OSX (PPC G4). One of the header files has <GL/gl.h> and <GL/glu.h> where OSX wants <OpenGL/gl.h> and <OpenGL/glu.h>. I changed the header to have:

Code: Select all

#if (__APPLE__)
#include <OpenGL/gl.h>
#include <OpenGL/glu.h>
#else
#include <GL/gl.h>
#include <GL/glu.h>
#endif

I think this should fix that problem. After that I had another problem that I don't remember and accidentally removed the source, so I'm going to have to download it again. Let me know if people want me to keep trying.
Cor
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:41 am

DeveloperX wrote::approve: :approve:

It ran flawlessly on my system.

Glad to hear that! Now to get these other guys sorted out...

Corwin, can you tell me which file you had to make that modification to? I added that to video.h but I guess there's some other file that has it too...
ettin

Postby ettin » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:55 am

Problem Type
Running

Frequency of Problem Occurence
Always

My Operating System
Debian GNU/Linux

Problem Description

Wuntvor wrote:Just out of curiosity, what kind of graphics card is required to actually handle this well? Is it using Hardware T&L? I am just asking because on my laptop it is mindnumbingly slow (2-3 fps).

It is also very slow in one of my computers and I'm still not sure why. Actually, everything seems to work just fine: game menus and combat are OK, but moving around the map is way too slow. It has an old ATI card that works perfectly for simple 3D games. I'm using the free ati driver, and hardware acceleration is enabled:

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

Additional Notes
This is the output of ./allacrost -i:

===== Video Information
SDL_ttf version (compiled): 2.0.8
Name of video driver: x11
  Best available video mode
    Creates hardware surfaces: no
    Has window manager available: yes
    Hardware to hardware blits accelerated: no
    Hardware to hardware colorkey blits accelerated: no
    Hardware to hardware alpha blits accelerated: no
    Software to hardware blits acceleerated: no
    Software to hardware colorkey blits accelerated: no
    Software to hardware alpha blits accelerated: no
    Color fills accelerated: no
    Total video memory: 0 kilobytes
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:18 pm

I believe that since we added the lighting, the map mode has been extremely slow on some computers.
visage
Former Staff

Postby visage » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:36 pm

time to add a toggle switch!
Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Sorry about not knowing what file. I may have actually been mistaken since I was trying to compile a couple different things at the same time. I downloaded the source again and in the configure script I'm getting a problem finding -lGL. Has anyone gotten it to compile on a Mac?
Cor
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:37 pm

Compiling on a Mac has issues at the moment, I do know visage is working hard on getting a Mac build out there.
visage
Former Staff

Postby visage » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:44 pm

I am getting closer. I hope to have one by the end of the week. Lua is giving me a bit of trouble. The first univeral lua library I made wasn't actually the library -- it was the interpreter :heh:

Then, I finally got a build of 5.1.1 going when nickw informed me that we use 5.0.2.

So now I have liblua and liblualib in universal format...but am getting linking errors.

Ahhhh!

Ah well.
Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:59 pm

Did you try the lua from fink? I'm not sure if it will help you out any, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Cor
visage
Former Staff

Postby visage » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:11 pm

I got the lua from darwinports, but it is a ppc build, I believe. Worth a shot, though.
prophile

Postby prophile » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:27 pm

Corwin wrote:Sorry about not knowing what file. I may have actually been mistaken since I was trying to compile a couple different things at the same time. I downloaded the source again and in the configure script I'm getting a problem finding -lGL. Has anyone gotten it to compile on a Mac?

Don't build it from Terminal, build from Xcode. You have to hack around with the file a bit (*beats visage to death*) but you can get it working.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:32 pm

Thanks for the report Ray. It helps out having someone test it on an older O/S and hardware. :approve:

Ray wrote:Problem Description 0
Program is terminally slow.

Additional Notes
This begins at the opening menu, before the game proper is even started.

The frame rate starts at around 32, and begins falling almost immediately, eventually hitting 0. I can still use the menu, but there's a lag of about five seconds between when a key is pressed and the program reacts.

According to System Monitor, I was only using 190 MB of memory while this was happening, so it isn't swapping that's causing the problem.

By comparison, Wesnoth (which I believe uses the same graphics library) will occasionally lag a little bit, but runs quite fast enough to be playable.

It seems to get worse when the music starts playing, but that could just be a coincidence. The sword animation at the start goes fairly smoothly most of the time.

Allacrost uses a different graphics library from Wesnoth. We use OpenGL (video hardware) whereas Wesnoth uses SDL (pure software). But since the opening animation seems to go smoothly for you, I think this might be a performance issue with our GUI system (that's used when the menu appears).

Ray wrote:Problem Description 1
The game seems to have a memory leak.

Additional Notes
Before starting the program, System Monitor showed 130 MB in use. After exiting, it was at 153.9. Checking it after several more runs showed values of 165.3 and later still, 190.4. The exact amount leaked after each run didn't seem to be constant, however no other programs (other than small background processes and the OS) were running during this time, so the leak is almost certainly in Allacrost.

:huh: That's very odd, I've never seen anything like that. Are you sure it isn't Windows that's leaking? ;) I kid, I kid! :heh: I'll try looking at the memory profile when I run it on my machine (Linux) tonight, but I've never experienced any sort of memory problems.

Ray wrote:Problem Description 2
Fullscreen mode doesn't work.

Additional Notes
Most of the times I've toggled fullscreen on, the screen adjusts its resolution, but then doesn't display anything from Allacrost. (It continues to display the desktop and the Allacrost directory in Windows Explorer.) One time it displayed an entirely black screen instead, and one time it crashed. There was no output to stdout or stderr.

Now this I have no clue about. :huh: Full-screen mode has always worked flawlessly for me. Definitely an issue we need to look into. Did you toggle full-screen when the game first started up (ie, the logo animation was still going on), or when it was already really really slow for you?
visage
Former Staff

Postby visage » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:45 pm

Okay okay guys, enough hating on visage :D
Hopefully I will have a working xcode project file, the necessary universal libs, and everything you need to get a mac build up and running (as well as an app) soon!
prophile

Postby prophile » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:46 pm

visage - I had to move your xcode project file into the /src/ directory and then move a bunch of files around to get it to compile. You are an evil man!
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:48 pm

We didn't want to pollute the src/ directory with build files though. You'll notice that all Linux, OS X, and Windows build files are located in the main directory. :angel:
prophile

Postby prophile » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:49 pm

Yes, but the Xcode project is set up to run from the src directory, not the demo directory. :bash:
Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:01 pm

prophile wrote:Yes, but the Xcode project is set up to run from the src directory, not the demo directory. :bash:

Where does one obtain said Xcode project? I downloaded the source from this post, but I can't find the xcode project. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Cor

Return to “Design”