Allacrost Demo Beta Testing

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Ranger M

Re: Allacrost Demo Beta Testing

Postby Ranger M » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:25 pm

===========================================================
Problem Type
Running

Frequency of Problem Occurence
Always

My Operating System
KDE linux

Problem Description
The map is very very slow, about 1 frame every 2 seconds, and the walking animations doesn't even occur (he just floats), and it takes a few seconds for it to react to me doing anything (changing direction takes about 4 seconds). The start up, main menu and battle screen are completely fine (although the damage calculation can be a little lengthy)

Additional Notes
The other guys seem to be able to walk through walls, and their animations work (they still only move every two seconds, but they look different every time they jump to their new position).

===========================================================
turin

Postby turin » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:51 pm

gorzuate wrote:turin, can you run other games that use SDL? How about OpenGL?

I can run Wesnoth perfectly well, and IIRC Wesnoth uses SDL, and I can run planetpenguinracer, which claims to use OpenGL ( it goes really slow, since my 3d is not configured correctly, but the game does start).
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.
Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:58 am

turin wrote:
gorzuate wrote:turin, can you run other games that use SDL? How about OpenGL?

I can run Wesnoth perfectly well, and IIRC Wesnoth uses SDL, and I can run planetpenguinracer, which claims to use OpenGL ( it goes really slow, since my 3d is not configured correctly, but the game does start).

(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Error opening framebuffer device!
(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Use 'fbdev' option or set FRAMEBUFFER environment variable.
(!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'system' core!

Do you know (or can you find out) what your framebuffer device is? It looks like it isn't /dev/fb0, where it seems to be looking. Try using this fbdev option or setting the FRAMEBUFFER env variable, maybe that will fix it?
turin

Postby turin » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:27 pm

gorzuate wrote:Do you know (or can you find out) what your framebuffer device is? It looks like it isn't /dev/fb0, where it seems to be looking. Try using this fbdev option or setting the FRAMEBUFFER env variable, maybe that will fix it?

Well, uh, I dunno exactly what happened, but I tried "export FRAMEBUFFER=fb0", and now I get a different error message (the game still doesn't start though):

Code: Select all

AUDIO: GameAudio constructor invoked
INPUT: GameInput constructor invoked
VIDEO: GameVideo constructor invoked
DATA: GameData constructor invoked.
SETTINGS: GameSystem constructor invoked
MODE MANAGER: GameModeManager constructor invoked
VIDEO: Initializing SDL subsystem
VIDEO: setting video mode
VIDEO ERROR: SDL_SetVideoMode() failed in ApplySettings()!
VIDEO ERROR: ChangeMode() failed in GameVideo::SingletonInitialize()!
ERROR: unable to initialize VideoManager
MODE MANAGER: GameModeManager destructor invoked
AUDIO: GameAudio destructor invoked
INPUT: GameInput destructor invoked
SETTINGS: GameSystem destructor invoked
DATA: GameData destructor invoked.
VIDEO: GameVideo destructor invoked
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.

Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:00 am

turin wrote:VIDEO ERROR: SDL_SetVideoMode() failed in ApplySettings()!

This is why it isn't starting, your video card probably isn't setup correctly.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:15 pm

I have a feeling that the slow map problem that people are reporting might be due to an OpenGL extension that their card doesn't support and thus is run in software instead of hardware. :| I get about 100-110 FPS in map mode, and when I remove the dynamic lighting from the code I get about 450 FPS. So it might be that our lighting code is just realllllly bad right now. :ohnoes:

Actually when I disabled lighting, I started getting the following error in map mode:

Code: Select all

VIDEO ERROR: failed to create new texture in _CreateBlankGLTexture().
  OpenGL reported the following error:
  out of memory

:uhoh:
ettin

Postby ettin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:51 pm

Roots wrote:I have a feeling that the slow map problem that people are reporting might be due to an OpenGL extension that their card doesn't support and thus is run in software instead of hardware. :| I get about 100-110 FPS in map mode, and when I remove the dynamic lighting from the code I get about 450 FPS. So it might be that our lighting code is just realllllly bad right now. :ohnoes:

I would like to test it. Is there an easy way to disable lightning? A patch?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:56 pm

I'll comment out the lighting code and commit it later today. I think doing that alone will take out a lot of our problems in this release.

PS: The out of memory error was because I commented out the disable lighting functions, but not the enable lighting functions. :angel:
prophile

Postby prophile » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:07 pm

I have the Mac OS X version of the demo available now, please poke me if you want the zip.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:56 pm

Thanks to prophile, we now have the OS X version of the demo ready. Enjoy! :D

OS X Demo
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:06 pm

OHHH><<< :cry: :bow: :approve: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thank GOd. I am going to run it RIGHT NOW!

edit: Wow. Sorry, I need to comment immediately. This looks really damn good. The players can move in more than 4 directions. Kudos to whoever's idea that was. The dialogue sounds hilarious...

a few crits is that music files, particularly the intro theme, sounds pretty crappy. Some of the highs are being cut off because of the compression. What to do...hmmm...

Also, Claudius sprite ends up disappearing pretty much everytime I start the game up.

Other than that, congrats to everyone. This is very cool. We should all be very proud of making it to this point. :)
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

visage
Former Staff

Postby visage » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:18 pm

Well done Prophile! :approve:

Only issue is that it is PPC. We need to make this sucker universal!
Technically I think x86 macs can run it using rosetta. Someone try? If it works, then screw making it universal -- that is only a headache.

Only bug is the black line (argg!) and claudius disappearing after battles.
Last edited by visage on Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophile

Postby prophile » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:19 pm

I haven't found a UB of SDL.framework yet, sorry.
visage
Former Staff

Postby visage » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:21 pm

Prophile, the newest SDL framework from SDL's site is universal.

it was all the OTHER binaries I couldn't get. I started making 'em from scratch bug got too busy.

Where did you get everything else from?
prophile

Postby prophile » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:30 pm

Fink (libpng and libjpeg) and DarwinPorts (lua).
visage
Former Staff

Postby visage » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:33 pm

herm...the lua I got off of darwinports was ppc...is yours universal?
do you want me to package up my sdl_mixer, sdl, sdl_ttf, ogg and vorbis universal frameworks for you?
prophile

Postby prophile » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:34 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I'll go grab them myself :)

:hack:
jsmith71
Artist

Postby jsmith71 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:27 pm

*Leaps in through the open door and skids to a stop*
Uh, sorry I'm late. :heh:

I played the demo rather briefly today, here are my thoughts. Keep in mind these are just suggestions, I don't mean to sound pushy or anything. This is just what I think, personally.

- Love the little intro animation with the logo & sword. Very cool and polished feeling.

- The controls are very weird; you may want to either have a clearly labelled readme with the controls listed, or change them to something more conventional like enter, space, esc, etc. I also found it very annoying that Esc was universally a 'quit' key-- I couldn't assign anything else to it without having the game quit on me.

- Random battles happen WAY too often, and it's generally a rule in this kind of game that they only happen when you're moving. ;) 7th Saga did this a bit differently, but you could see the enemies on the radar/crystal ball, so you had a bit of a heads-up. As it stands, if you walk away from the computer for a few minutes while your character is standing perfectly still, you could be dead when you come back and not really know why. :heh:

- The map is a kinda large and empty. Is this just a test map, or does this actually showcase the final design...? It's cool to see my tiles in use in the cave, but I don't care much for the design of things at the moment. It's not 'tight' enough design-wise, if that makes any sense. It seems to just be a sprawling section of floor with some walls here and there, and rocks/stalagmites etc thrown around.

- Character animation looks good, but seems a bit off. I recall seeing a very non-standard amount of frames in the animations posted awhile ago... 6, was it? Generally with that kind of animation you'd go with 8, arranged like so:

1-standing

2-right arm forward, right foot back etc

3-right arm more forward, right foot further back etc

4-right arm less forward, right foot not as far back etc

5-standing

6-left arm forward, left foot back etc

7-left arm more forward, left foot further back etc

8-left arm less forward, left foot not as far back etc

Instead you seem to have skipped frames 4 and 8. It looks good and could be acceptable, but it just seems off. I'm not sure why 6 frames was chosen over 8, as the exact same amount of frames would need to be drawn for both, anyway... Is there any reason? It just seems rather illogical to me... Doesn't make much sense.

- I hope the Star Wars reference line is removed in the final thing. ;) I've played lots of indie-rpgs with this kind of blatant 'silly' humor or fourth-wall breaking that just clashes horribly with the rest of the dialog and really prevents me from getting into the world of the game. I know it's probably just for the demo, but I figured I'd check. :p

- The red circle around your character in battle is very hard to see against the cave background. A good idea would be to make it glow/pulsate slowly from dark to light.

- The damaged frames for enemies are extremely subtle and not really noticeable. You may want to either make it more drastic (FF:Mystic Quest, anyone? XD) or leave it out altogether.

- The 'dead' frames for the enemies are hardly distinguishable from their other frames, apart from simply being grey. I tend to prefer it when enemies disappear once they're killed, but a more obvious 'dead' frame would work as well.

- Damage numbers felt like they stayed on the screen for too long.

I think that's it. I didn't experience any crashes or bugs, but I only played it for a little bit. Again, everything said above is just my opinion, I don't intend to sound overly critical or demanding. :heh: This is just my view on the demo.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:19 pm

Just a couple responses, Josiah. More later.

There is a clearly-defined (I think) MANUAL file that explains the controls.

Random battles do happen a lot in this demo, this has been fixed in Subversion. Also if you leave the computer for a while I would recommend pausing the game.

And yes, for now the map is just a test map.
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:34 pm

A few more thoughts...

I agree with Josiah that the intro sfx and sword clink is very nice. I am listening to the pieces and it sounds like a lot of 'good' sound information is being lost from AIFF to OGG. For instance, only a portion of the treble information is getting through on the intro theme which is causing it to seem hollow and nasally...the other 2 mixes I have less issues with. (though they are far from perfect)

Still, its really cool to see how it is all coming together.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Return to “Design”