Zipped Tilesets

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Gravity 0

Zipped Tilesets

Postby Gravity 0 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:05 pm

I found the folder tilesets empty and another folder called tiles full of very small images...

So i thought... instead of a large image with tiles (like rpgmaker) or a lot of small images... A zip file (or another compressed archive.... good is 7z) containing all thi images of a tileset.... So when you enter a level with a particula tileset the xip is unzipped in cache and when you exit the level the cache of the tileset is cleard?

Do you think it's a good idea? :hack:
visage
Former Staff

Postby visage » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:25 pm

A lot of games utilize this sort of idea. They have a homebrew 'filesystem' that allows them to compress and decompress on the fly. I don't know how well you know other games, but this is essentially what Half-Lifes .pak files were. Most modern games use this sort of technology.

For the meanwhile, it is not necessary for HoA to use this sort of thing because the implementation cost outweighs the benefits. The amount of textures in our game isn't large enough yet to justify compression, and we don't mind if people have full access to our assets!

Maybe when we have more assets to use and more parts of the game complete, we will look into a solution like this.

A good idea though!
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:02 pm

I'm a fan of maping tiles from a larger image, simply so that when I load an area, I can reference a single image and do fast blits. This saves tremendously on disk access, but has a substantial cost to memory. But we're talking a handful of megs at most, so I see this as a non-issue. Bottom line is use what works now, and implement what is needed later. The only advantage of zipping I can see is that it saves disk space, since you have to spend the cpu time and memory space decompressing them real time. If disk space were an issue, I'd say consider it. Some sort of concatenation could be helpful as well I suppose, just to keep data clean. However, many games I've seen just leave the data open and on the cd or in some subfolder. So what if you can access it... copyright law is stronger and scarier than encryption :)
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev

Return to “Design”