Status Effects Design II

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Status Effects Design II

Postby Roots » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:59 pm

As with elementals, I am working on the code that implements status effects and need a few issues to be decided. First a link:

http://allacrost.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... us_Effects

(1): Status Effect Intensities

Same with elementals, SEs have four levels of intensity. Unlike elementals, the intensity has a different effect for each SE (e.g., higher intensities of poison do more damage, higher intensities of haste speed up the character more, etc.). Intensity for SEs decreases naturally over time, until it eventually nullifies. Questions:

a) Should different status intensities take a longer time to "downgrade", or should we keep it simple and make the downgrade time the same regardless of intensity level? (I vote the latter, to keep things simple).

b) I could have sworn there was something else I wanted to ask here, but forgot. :(

NOTE: -all- status effects must have multiple intensity levels, without exception. Even statuses like "sleep" can simply rely on the intensity downgrade timer (the character remains asleep until the effect is fully nullified).

(2) SE Pairings

Some (or perhaps all) status effects have an opposite counter-part. For example, an ailing status effect "poison" has the aiding status effect "regen" as its counterpart. Poison and regen can not be in effect at the same time. Questions:

a) If an actor is afflicted with one status effect and then gets targeted for another counter effect, what should happen? For example, a character is poisoned and regen is casted upon him/her.

b) Should all status effects have a counter part? haste/slow (speed), strong/weak (attack), resist/vulnerable (defense), ... it seems to be quite natural. There are others though that do not have a clear counter part (sleep, stone, etc.), but I never really liked these types of effects anyway. :)

I possibly have more issues to bring up later, but these two are all I can think of right now.
Burnsaber

Re: Status Effects Design II

Postby Burnsaber » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:33 pm

Roots wrote:(1): Status Effect Intensities

Seems awesome. I really like it how sleep now won't keep a character down for all eternity. Makes sense and simplifies the status system.

I don't think that it's much of a problem, but now, a hypotetical spell Haste 2 (that gives haste on intesity level 2) is expotentially better than haste 1, because haste 2 has longer duration and better effect. I quess that can be handled by SP pricing the spells accordingly.

Roots wrote:(2) SE Pairings

a) If an actor is afflicted with one status effect and then gets targeted for another counter effect, what should happen? For example, a character is poisoned and regen is casted upon him/her.

My take is best explained by an example.

Claudius has poison (intesity 3) and is hit by an effect that gives regen (intesity 2). Since regen and poison are opposites and hate each other, Regen 2 effect decreases the poison (3) effect with (2), leaving Claudius with poison effect (intensity 1).

If Claudius had been hit with regen 4 effect, he would now actually have regen 1 effect.

I know my examples might be confusing, but I don't know how to word it better.

Roots wrote:b) Should all status effects have a counter part? haste/slow (speed), strong/weak (attack), resist/vulnerable (defense), ... it seems to be quite natural. There are others though that do not have a clear counter part (sleep, stone, etc.), but I never really liked these types of effects anyway. :)

Symmetry is nice, but I don't think that it should go before gameplay. If the gameplay needs a "Stone" effect, but you can't put an opposite to it, no big deal, just go for it.

If you don't implent those no-opposite status effects, many "legendary" status effects would be left out. Sleep, Stone, Confusion, Frog-and-the-likes, etc.. Not necesarilly a bad thing, but something to think about.

Have you reached any conclusion on how many status effects and/or status effect pairs should be in the game?
I'm the 50th person who joined on these forums! I'm special!

Return to “Design”