Prologue item/skill/spell list brainstorming:

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Drakkoon
Developer

Postby Drakkoon » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:25 am

ChopperDave wrote:One thing that worries me is the coloring. In most RPGs, red is for health and blue is for mana. In ours though, it looks like green is health and red is status curing. Is anyone else bothered that this may confuse players?

Heh, I couldn't resist showing off the potions to the guys at school, and they were all "wtf, red is by convention HP!!!" I tried convincing them that our HP bars were green and not every games were like that ( then they made a list of many MMORPG games that had red bars, nerds :P )
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:29 am

You might also tell them that everyone's blood in Allacrost is green, since they are all reptilian, wearing costumes to make for a giant twist in the story later on...seriously tell them that.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Drakkoon
Developer

Postby Drakkoon » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:57 am

Well the potion colors actually sparked a debate about if blood didn't contain iron (gives the red color to blood) and contained copper instead, would our blood be green or blue.

I could try the reptilian thing though, might work :heh:
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:55 am

Really, I could fly either way; we could have:
green=health, red=cure -or- red=health, green=cure

It's worth noting that another game with big, visible green HP bars - called "warcraft III", used green for their health potions, and no one found it weird. So there is a precedent. I myself really don't care.
Jastiv

Postby Jastiv » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:52 pm

Ultima Online used yellow for health potions and orange for cure potions, red was stanima regen, blue agility, white strength, black nightsight, purple explosion, green was poison. Sometimes people would actually drink lesser poison potions to avoid getting poisoned with deadly poison from monsters or other players because only one poison effect could be had at a time.
Maeglin Dubh

Postby Maeglin Dubh » Mon May 14, 2007 6:24 am

Techniques...

Squint Cut: Prepares an attack. When this character is attacked, they have a chance to parry the enemy attack and retaliate immediately with a small bonus to damage.

Flying Lunge: Bonus to damage, higher chance of critical hit, less accuracy.

Hilt Bash: Less damage, stuns opponent.

Wrath Guard: (higher level, perhaps) Prepares an attack. When this character is attacked, they strike back with double damage.

Draw Cut: Less damage, much better chance to hit.

Feint: Attack does no damage, but if it hits, (and here there's a few options, any of which would make sense...) one of a few things may happen. 1 - Defender immediately retaliates, using their action for the turn. 2 - Defender loses dodge for the next turn. 3 - Attacker gains dodge bonus for the next turn.

Shieldwall: Any characters using a shield get a defense bonus for a turn.

A slightly different format, stances... The effect lasts until the character changes stance. Stances could be obtained in the same manner as skills.

Tower Guard
No bonus

Fool's Guard
+ Parry, - Damage

Ox Guard (level requirement)
+ Crit, + Parry, - Damage

Wrath Guard
+ Damage, - Parry

High Guard (level requirement)
+ Crit, + Damage, - Parry

Return to “Design”