Demo 0.2.0 NPC Dialogue/Names.

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Jetryl
Artist

Demo 0.2.0 NPC Dialogue/Names.

Postby Jetryl » Thu May 03, 2007 3:54 pm

We need dialogue for the different NPCs in the demo town. Right now, IMO, Jonas (the soldier in the cave) has good dialogue, but pretty much everyone else does not. I'd personally vote for putting actual, in-character dialogue in this demo, just to help get people into the feel of playing an RPG; to give them a feel of what the real allacrost will be like.

Right now, the town map has several people wandering around outside. There is:

- Laila
- Vanica
- Marcus
- That woman in the maroon apron (who acts as a shopkeeper)

And there is also the following as-yet-unnamed people:

- [img:32:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/MNPC002-Front.gif[/img]
- [img:32:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/boy1_d.gif[/img]

- [img:32:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/MNPC001-Left.gif[/img]

So ... let's hear the ideas. :)
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Thu May 03, 2007 4:22 pm

My vote goes too for real "in-game dialogue" but I'm sure we can include one or two funny/helpful ones as well. :D

name: Muhqiju, Muj or Muju (<- a friend of mine who has red hair! :devil:)
fun: "Mmm.. unprocessed fishsticks"
[img:32:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/MNPC002-Front.gif[/img]

name: Torl
[img:32:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/boy1_d.gif[/img]
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu May 03, 2007 4:28 pm

I don't have any name ideas right now, but I wanted to bring up a tangential topic to this discussion. Should every NPC in Allacrost have a name? Or should we simply give names such as "Noisy Old Man" or "Angry Housewife" that actually attempt to describe the character in question with a brief verbal description? :shrug:
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Thu May 03, 2007 4:41 pm

I think all the NPC's that the player characters know (or get to know), should be named. Characters of less importance, or the ones great in number, shouldn't probably be named. e.g. soldiers, women in rags, etc...

Of course, *if* we can find good names for every single NPC, I'm also fine with that. :heh:
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu May 03, 2007 6:02 pm

Roots wrote:I don't have any name ideas right now, but I wanted to bring up a tangential topic to this discussion. Should every NPC in Allacrost have a name? Or should we simply give names such as "Noisy Old Man" or "Angry Housewife" that actually attempt to describe the character in question with a brief verbal description? :shrug:

I think we should split this, and we should split this along lines of "how much time does Claudius have to talk to them?"

If he's got enough time to strike up a casual conversation, yeah, I'd opt for a name. Names can give a lot of flavor to an area. If he's is a big hurry, and all hell's breaking loose - then I'd give descriptive names.
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Thu May 03, 2007 9:44 pm

Okay!

It would be nice, if we have a lot of NPC's in the towns of Allacrost, to signify the importance of some characters over others, as an act of stability and convenience to the player as they try to find their way from place to place without wanting to blow their brains out. An icon over the head of said character is pretty interesting to me and could potentially eliminate quite a bit of confusion, but due to its bluntness, also seems a bit condescending at the same time.

There is a fine line between the player being patronized and being encouraged. We should make it easy enough to distinguish the importance of certain dialogue over more trivial dialogue, but KEY dialogue (and perhaps key players) should be illuminated subtlety.

Perhaps the dialogue window can display a different characteristic when interacting with 'key players', that will provide a modest separation from incidental NPC's and not provide headaches as the player wonders WHO they are supposed to speak with next in order to trigger the next storyline event.

Perhaps the dialogue window can become illuminated when key characters are initiated in conversation. Perhaps everytime an important storyline subject that is crucial to storyline progress is mentioned, maybe this illumination can occur as well...
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri May 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Rain: see the topic on Map Design in this same forum. I brought up the topic of having many many NPCs there to make towns seem more populated. I also like a lot of the ideas you proposed. But anyway back on track:

I'm writing the dialogue for these sprites right now and should finish it up later today. I like Torl as the name of that kid. Muj is the name of someone in our IRC channel, so its probably best to try and not name characters after screen names, unless we start wanting to put a Roots, a MindFlayer, and a Jetryl in the demo. :heh: I am pretty good when it comes to creating random yet appropriate sounding names, and plus the names are really easy to change so I'll just fill something in there and if we need to, it will be easy to change later.
Roots
Dictator

Re: Demo 0.2.0 NPC Dialogue/Names.

Postby Roots » Fri May 04, 2007 6:11 pm

Here's the name list:

- Claudius
- Laila
- Marcus
- Vanica
- Torl (the kid)
- Female merchant (the shop keeper; decided to not give her a specific name)
- Alexander (orange haired guy)
- Laine (black haired guy)
- Jonas (soldier in cave)
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Fri May 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Roots wrote:Muj is the name of someone in our IRC channel, so its probably best to try and not name characters after screen names, unless we start wanting to put a Roots, a MindFlayer, and a Jetryl in the demo. :heh:

Aww, but he's a friend of mine (IRL) and he wants in the game. I think it would've been a fine name. :cry: :D
Maeglin Dubh

Postby Maeglin Dubh » Mon May 14, 2007 6:26 am

Muj doesn't exactly follow the local naming conventions either, from the look of things.

Greetings, folks. Jetryl tells me you may need some help writing NPC dialogue?
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon May 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Muj doesn't exactly follow the local naming conventions either, from the look of things.

Greetings, folks. Jetryl tells me you may need some help writing NPC dialogue?

IRC:
<jJetryl> Say, roots - do you mind if my friend maeglin has a shot at providing some real dialogue for our demo NPCs - he'd take one onerous task off our hands.
<jJetryl> He's also (IMO) fairly good at that sort of thing.
<jJetryl> (At least I hope so.)
<Roots> sure I dont mind
<Roots> remember though that a lot of the NPC dialogue is still kind of tutorial material for the game. Such as why houses can't be entered yet, what the dialogue icons are, etc.
<jJetryl> The houses are worth explaining, but the dialogue icons should be self-evident.
<jJetryl> And they'll be -especially- so when I convert them to a little icon of a speech bubble.

About the only tutorial thing we need is someone puttering around in front of a door griping about how he can't get inside, and incidentally explaining why to the player.

Dialogue can be done like in wesnoth, with multiple back-and-forth statements between the participants. We're also able to trigger events from within dialogues (again, just like wesnoth), although this functionality hasn't had much testing/abuse.
Maeglin Dubh

Postby Maeglin Dubh » Tue May 15, 2007 12:36 am

NPC: ^&#@!! Let me in already!
PC: Hey, what's wrong? Can't you get in?
NPC: NO! The developers have me locked out until they 'fix the place up'. Developers. Never trust them, kid. Take my word for it. YOU DONE IN THERE YET?!
PC: Well, good luck with that. When do you think they'll be done?
NPC: They told me something about a 'later version', whatever that means. As if I care. I'm hungry out here!
PC: I have to go, but I hope it works out for you.
NPC: Sure, fine, get out of here. HURRY UP IN THERE ALREADY!!
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue May 15, 2007 2:22 am

Maeglin Dubh wrote:NPC: ^&#@!! Let me in already!
PC: Hey, what's wrong? Can't you get in?
NPC: NO! The developers have me locked out until they 'fix the place up'. Developers. Never trust them, kid. Take my word for it. YOU DONE IN THERE YET?!
PC: Well, good luck with that. When do you think they'll be done?
NPC: They told me something about a 'later version', whatever that means. As if I care. I'm hungry out here!
PC: I have to go, but I hope it works out for you.
NPC: Sure, fine, get out of here. HURRY UP IN THERE ALREADY!!

I'm likin' it. If roots is cool with this, I'll write up the actual .lua files to get this functional.

Please do carry on with other ones. :approve:
Maeglin Dubh

Postby Maeglin Dubh » Tue May 15, 2007 2:46 am

Ah... what other ones?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue May 15, 2007 3:03 am

Actually if Maeglin is going to be doing this for us "officially", its best that he/she (sorry don't know your gender yet :heh: ) learn how to add dialogue into the game. Its pretty easy to do, just look at these two files:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/allac ... a?view=log
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/allac ... a?view=log

That is all the dialogue that I've written so far stored in those map files (its at the end). Take a look at this snippet:

Code: Select all

dialogue = hoa_map.MapDialogue();
dialogue:AddText("Claudius, what are you doing here?", 1, -1, -1);
dialogue:AddText("I came down here for training.", 1000, -1, -1);
dialogue:AddText("Well, good job getting this far all by yourself. This is a pretty dangerous place for someone as inexperienced as yourself.", 1, -1, -1);
dialogue:AddText("Yes well, I have to train hard if I want to be able to spar with you evenly one day, Jonas. By the way, what were you doing?", 1000, -1, -1);
dialogue:AddText("Ahh. Well the cave goes deeper than this, but it appears a collapse here has blocked the way. I was trying to find an alternative passage, but it appears that the inner chambers are now completely inaccessible.", 1, -1, -1);
dialogue:AddText("In any case, this is as far as you can go in this demo, so thanks for.....", 1, -1, 0); -- Creepy sound plays here
dialogue:AddText("What was that noise? Hey, look out!", 1, -1, 1); -- Boss battle occurs
sprite:AddDialogue(dialogue);

First I declare a new dialogue. Then I add several lines to the dialogue with the AddText command. There are four arguments to this function:

#1) The string of text
#2) The ID number of the sprite who is saying the dialogue (in this example, 1000 is Claudius, the player, and 1 is the NPC in the cave map)
#3) The time, in milliseconds, that the dialogue should be displayed (-1 means display it "forever", but of course the user can press the confirm key to go to the next line)
#4) The number of the map function to execute after the dialogue event (-1 means no function is to be executed).

Then when you are finished constructing the dialogue, you simply add it onto the sprite which should "contain it" (ie, if the player talks to that sprite, that dialogue will occur). Its pretty simple I think.
Maeglin Dubh

Postby Maeglin Dubh » Tue May 15, 2007 4:01 am

He will certainly try, but I'll probably botch it the first few times. Code and I don't get along well.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue May 15, 2007 5:20 am

Maeglin Dubh wrote:He will certainly try, but I'll probably botch it the first few times. Code and I don't get along well.

Don't knock yourself out trying to get the code bits absolutely right - I can fix any of the issues with that, since it's probably going to be me doing the committing.
Maeglin Dubh

Postby Maeglin Dubh » Fri May 18, 2007 6:26 pm

I'll give it a shot. What other conversations are needed?
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Fri May 18, 2007 11:36 pm

Maeglin Dubh wrote:I'll give it a shot. What other conversations are needed?

- Laila (claudius' love interest)
- Marcus (laila's dad)
- Vanica (laila's mom)
- Torl (the kid)
- Female merchant (the shop keeper; decided to not give her a specific name)
- Alexander (orange haired guy)
- Laine (black haired guy)
- ???? (teenage girl in violet shorts/shirt) http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jet ... 2_walk.png
- ???? (woman) http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/saf ... c/npc1.png

For the merchant, you might want to provide a one-liner before entering the store. E.g. "Would you like to see my wares?"

For the ???? - they need names.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Sat May 19, 2007 1:24 am

Well, actually, a first draft of a lot of the dialogue has already been done. Take a look here, towards the end of the file there is a Load() function that contains dialogue for the various sprites.

I guess what's needed is improved dialogue along the lines of what's already there. Most of it's probably good enough for the demo anyway.

Return to “Design”