Demo 0.2.0 -- Beta Test

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Demo 0.2.0 -- Beta Test

Postby Roots » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:08 am

Hi everyone. As promised, you all get the first taste of our next release. This is not the final product we intend to release (we still have a few minor tweaks, and a couple of last minute features to add), but its pretty darn close to what you'll see in the official release. Below are the Linux (x86), OS X (universal binary), and Windows releases. As a reminder: please do not share these links with anyone!!.

Linux/source: -removed-
    OS X: -removed-
    Windows: -removed-
    Debian/Ubuntu: -removed-

Here's a brief "feature list" for what you can observe/do in this demo:
    - Map movement system has been improved, making it much more natural to move around and much easier to speak to NPCs
    - A simple town with a few NPCs that you may speak with
    - One NPC in the town will sell you equipment and health potions
    - You can change your equipment in the game menu
    - There is a cave map which spawns enemy sprites which will chase you if you get too close
    - Battle system has been improved, and now includes a "stamina bar" showing the readiness of all actors, as well as shrinking/growing HP bars
    - You can use items (health potions) in the game menu as well as during battles

Now, what we would like to ask you to do is to basically play through the demo, and make sure there aren't any serious flaws. A serious flaw would be if the game crashes, or if you somehow get "stuck" and are unable to move forward in the game. You can also point out any minor issues that you think we should consider addressing for the final release. A minor issue might be something like a graphical glitch, or something that just doesn't seem "correct" in the game. Here is a list of the minor bugs we are already aware of:
    - Some tiles in the town map need to be fixed (being able to see sprites through ceilings is a major bug)
    - It is possible to avoid the boss encounter if you position Claudius a certain way when speaking to Jonas
    - There is no indicator for XP level up at the end of a battle
    - The two attack skills that Claudius has need to be renamed/tweaked (especially the second one)
    - The battles are way too easy, especially the boss battle (balancing issues that we are continuing to address)
    - If you level up Claudius a bit, his stamina regeneration rate is too fast compared to the other enemies

Please post all feedback, bugs, questions, opinions, reports, inquiries, etc. about this release in this thread and this thread -only-. We'll help you out with any problems you may have, but please try to solve any simple questions (ie, what are the controls?) on your own by reading the manual or wiki. We're pretty busy trying to get this release finished up this week, so we'd appreciate your understanding in that. Thank you in advance, and have fun! :approve:
Last edited by Roots on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:06 am

Good! I am going to begin playthru immediately.

I should also mention that we are getting to the point where we should consider putting some kind of video together for the purposes of showcasing. We can put this on youtube and whatnot...but this is probably down the road.

At any rate, good work gentlemen and women. :approve: It is clear we are making good ground.

Bugs?

In the cave:

*The first set of stairs are a bit difficult to climb. It seems that you have to be EXACTLY straight on the stairs in order to go up them.

*There are also a few areas on the walk to the boss battle where you can possibly get stuck. Its after the staircase in the topmost part of the screen, specifically the parts of the Northeast corner of the cave, next to the pit. I had a bit of trouble trying to get through here, but it only happened once so perhaps Gorzuate has dealt with the initial issues with cave maps that I ran across last night.

In Town: (much less notable)

*Characters will sometimes get 'stuck', especially the boy and Livia, who have a tendency to dry hump walls with great vigour!

*Laila spins around in circles.

Additional thoughts:

*This demo is looking pretty sharp!

*The music of the village isn't looping seamlessly yet, which is a headache. I am not sure how to best fix this...any thoughts?

*The music in the cave isn't eq'ed well. The woodblocks and the metal clanging gets annoying because of its EQ range. I think we need to go with something a little warmer and easier on the ears. We can build with this!

*In the shop menu, at some point it might be a good idea to include green arrows next to equipment as a comparitive measure against current equipment. This lets the player know if what they are buying is going to boost their offense and defense!

*Whoever made the attack time gauge is brilliant! As the levels increase, Claudius quickly gets through the battles which minimizes battle time and helps to keep things fresh.

Additional, additional thoughts:

*My only other thoughts is to have a 'spoils' sfx, after battle. Like the clanking of coins or something as the money and items are gained from the enemy.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

hikaricore

Postby hikaricore » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:05 am

Arrrggg!

Code: Select all

checking for glGetString in -lGL... no
configure: error: OpenGL not found

I'm about half concious trying to figure out what dev libraries I'm missing.

I've compiled allacrost before on this system so I'm at a complete loss for ideas. >.<
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:37 am

hikaricore wrote:Arrrggg!

Code: Select all

checking for glGetString in -lGL... no
configure: error: OpenGL not found

I'm about half concious trying to figure out what dev libraries I'm missing.

I've compiled allacrost before on this system so I'm at a complete loss for ideas. >.<

Looks like you're missing the OpenGL C/C++ development headers. On Ubuntu, it's libgl1-mesa-dev. Don't know of other distros though.
hikaricore

Postby hikaricore » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:44 am

They're installed, reinstalling to check, if that doesn't work I'll test compiling on another system. ^_^
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:56 am

That's odd.

I hope someone on the team will make an Ubuntu .deb soon to make things a bit easier on the linux side... :(
hikaricore

Postby hikaricore » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:40 am

>.< Ok it's just my desktop system that's somehow borked.

SSHed to my media server and installed the dependencies and now it's compiling fine. LOL.

I'll checkinstall package the damn thing and be done with it. ^_^
stenny

Postby stenny » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:48 am

*The music of the village isn't looping seamlessly yet, which is a headache. I am not sure how to best fix this...any thoughts?

Still love that piece. About the looping. Let the last note last some longer (double the duration or something). And the problem is probably the reverb or whatever effects you used are cut off as soon as the piece restarts (the echoing of a note for example. The note may be finished but the echoing still goes on).

other glitches
It seems your tabs are not working correctly. Not in the 'manual' at least, the columns aren't lined out correctly.

NPC's that move diagonal are moving to fast when going in those directions. In fact, if Claudius moves at the same speed when going up/down and left right, you can calculate the speed for diagonal movement by:

Up/Down/Left/Right Speed * 2^0.5 (or the squared root of 2)

I only got to the conclusion that enemies that don't participate in the battle are greyed out, when I battled those slimeys. You should watch out with this approach, since every enemy that has some sort of grey in it, causes a problem (like them scorpions or skeletons).

The battle music restarts after unpausing the game at the experience screen.

If you've targeted the last enemy and the game knows you're going to kill it (no miss), the experience stuff starts as sóón as Claudius reaches attack state. So no attack animation follows whatsoever.

Anyway. Those are a lot of glitches and most of them are so small they don't even matter, but you know what they say; it's fixing those little things that make a professional game. In the end, they are meant as good critics. Those graphics are most certainly one of the most beautiful ones I've seen lately (just like the music, but Rain already know that :P). Good demo, now I even more want to see this finished!

-Stenny

EDIT
*Whoever made the attack time gauge is brilliant! As the levels increase, Claudius quickly gets through the battles which minimizes battle time and helps to keep things fresh.

That'd be the guys who came up with Grandia. Roots, I recently went to London and couldn't find any good stuff to bring back home, so I stepped into a game store and bought Grandia II for 2 pound something. It'd better be good :P
hilsim

Postby hilsim » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:25 pm

Look this

src/engine/video/video.cpp: In member function 'virtual bool hoa_video::GameVideo::SingletonInitialize()':
src/engine/video/video.cpp:212: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_w'
src/engine/video/video.cpp:212: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_h'
src/engine/video/video.cpp:216: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_w'
src/engine/video/video.cpp:216: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_h'
src/engine/video/video.cpp:220: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_w'
src/engine/video/video.cpp:220: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_h'
src/engine/video/video.cpp: In member function 'bool hoa_video::GameVideo::ApplySettings()':
src/engine/video/video.cpp:583: error: 'SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL' was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [video.o] Error 1

And in farthest pull don't support lua 5.1.x
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:39 pm

hilsim wrote:Look this

src/engine/video/video.cpp: In member function 'virtual bool hoa_video::GameVideo::SingletonInitialize()':
src/engine/video/video.cpp:212: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_w'
src/engine/video/video.cpp:212: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_h'
src/engine/video/video.cpp:216: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_w'
src/engine/video/video.cpp:216: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_h'
src/engine/video/video.cpp:220: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_w'
src/engine/video/video.cpp:220: error: 'const struct SDL_VideoInfo' has no member named 'current_h'
src/engine/video/video.cpp: In member function 'bool hoa_video::GameVideo::ApplySettings()':
src/engine/video/video.cpp:583: error: 'SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL' was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [video.o] Error 1

And in farthest pull don't support lua 5.1.x

Looks like you've got older version of the SDL development files. current_w and current_h were introduced in SDL 1.2.10... And lua 5.1 isn't supported because of luabind (AFAIK).
VS

Postby VS » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:58 pm

The keyboard help is very useful, but I'd like to see it when I want - after pressing F1 or so.

Cobalt helmet description is misspelled - one more L.

Why can I attack myself? :axe:

When using potions in inventory screen, at the point where I select party member, something keeps flickering to the left of potion icon (probably previous cursor "on stack").

When I walk horizontally, the merchant slides slightly (about 5px) to and fro it this direction. (rounding errors?)

Either Clausius gets too good too fast (implying that the damage number font is hard to read and I mistake 0 for 6), or enemies stop dealing damage?
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:42 pm

Hey, an additional note: when posting stuff about glitches, it would be helpful if you could give info about your platform/settings. We don't need all of the specs on your machine, but if you could post things such as what OS you're using and what screen resolution you're playing the game in, that could help us out a bunch. All of your help is appreciated.

Why can I attack myself? :axe:

You can do this in other games, and occasionally it might have some usefulness...

When using potions in inventory screen, at the point where I select party member, something keeps flickering to the left of potion icon (probably previous cursor "on stack").

I'm assuming you're using the 800x600 resolution? I see that for some reason the cursor icon is blocked by the item icon in that display mode, at least when it's in a window. In 1024x768, there is a blinking sword icon next to the potion icon; that's how it's supposed to work. I'll see what I can do to fix this; thanks for the heads-up.

(Also, I just tested this in 640x480 windowed, and it's even worse.)

Either Clausius gets too good too fast (implying that the damage number font is hard to read and I mistake 0 for 6), or enemies stop dealing damage?

Yes, Claudius is getting too good. We're working on this.
kess

Compilation

Postby kess » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:46 pm

I have some trouble compiling Allacrost. :cry:

Ubuntu linux 7.04
automake 1.9.6
lua 5.0.3
luabind 0.7.1
sdl 1.2.11 (libsdl)

1. .configure runs okay

2. make more or less stops at this point, the first step (clogs up all memory and my laptop runs hot and gives up after some time)

make all-am
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kess/.prog/allacrost-0.2.0'
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/include/SDL -I./src -I./src/engine -I./src/engine/audio -I./src/engine/video -I./src/global -I./src/modes -I./src/modes/battle -I./src/modes/boot -I./src/modes/map -I./src/modes/menu -I./src/modes/shop -DDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share\" -I/usr/X11R6/include -Wall -O3 -I/usr/include/lua50 -MT defs.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/defs.Tpo" -c -o defs.o `test -f 'src/defs.cpp' || echo './'`src/defs.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/defs.Tpo" ".deps/defs.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/defs.Tpo"; exit 1; fi

:huh: Any ideas what could be causing it?
AMDmi3
Contributor

Postby AMDmi3 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:58 pm

I will test it for FreeBSD a bit later, need to package luabind first.

I wonder why other projects usually include luabind in distribution instead of depending on external library...
MindFlayer
Developer

Re: Compilation

Postby MindFlayer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:11 pm

kess wrote:I have some trouble compiling Allacrost. :cry:

Ubuntu linux 7.04
automake 1.9.6
lua 5.0.3
luabind 0.7.1
sdl 1.2.11 (libsdl)

1. .configure runs okay

2. make more or less stops at this point, the first step (clogs up all memory and my laptop runs hot and gives up after some time)

make all-am
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/include/SDL -I./src -I./src/engine -I./src/engine/audio -I./src/engine/video -I./src/global -I./src/modes -I./src/modes/battle -I./src/modes/boot -I./src/modes/map -I./src/modes/menu -I./src/modes/shop -DDATADIR="/usr/local/share" -I/usr/X11R6/include -Wall -O3 -I/usr/include/lua50 -MT defs.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/defs.Tpo" -c -o defs.o `test -f 'src/defs.cpp' || echo './'`src/defs.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/defs.Tpo" ".deps/defs.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/defs.Tpo"; exit 1; fi

I think that's just that defs.cpp is taking so darn long to compile. That's a known problem of luabind. Try to wait a bit longer (no more than 30min) to see if it works then. :eyebrow:
ettin

Re: Demo 0.2.0 -- Beta Test

Postby ettin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:57 pm

Roots wrote:Hi everyone. As promised, you all get the first taste of our next release. This is not the final product we intend to release (we still have a few minor tweaks, and a couple of last minute features to add), but its pretty darn close to what you'll see in the official release. Below are the Linux (x86), OS X (universal binary), and Windows releases. As a reminder: please do not share these links with anyone!!.

Debian binary packages (unstable) are available here: http://ettin.org/pub/debian/allacrost/
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:13 pm

MindFlayer wrote:

Ubuntu linux 7.04
automake 1.9.6
lua 5.0.3
luabind 0.7.1
sdl 1.2.11 (libsdl)

1. .configure runs okay

make all-am
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/include/SDL -I./src -I./src/engine -I./src/engine/audio -I./src/engine/video -I./src/global -I./src/modes -I./src/modes/battle -I./src/modes/boot -I./src/modes/map -I./src/modes/menu -I./src/modes/shop -DDATADIR="/usr/local/share" -I/usr/X11R6/include -Wall -O3 -I/usr/include/lua50 -MT defs.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/defs.Tpo" -c -o defs.o `test -f 'src/defs.cpp' || echo './'`src/defs.cpp; \

I think that's just that defs.cpp is taking so darn long to compile. That's a known problem of luabind. Try to wait a bit longer (no more than 30min) to see if it works then. :eyebrow:

Actually, I have the same problem on my Gentoo box. :ohnoes:

It takes forever with defs.cpp, and then finally it bombs with some error about a luabind call/function. I just assumed my box was borked (although I didn't really know why since I didn't change, install, or uninstall anything, and it used to work before). It's nice to know I'm not the only one with the problem, but at the same time it sucks. :bang:

Also, when compiling on my OS X laptop, defs.cpp goes by real quick, so I don't know why it would be a lot slower on a supposedly more powerful desktop. Maybe because it's not a dual-core machine... :rolleyes: Yeah, right.
kess

Postby kess » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:01 pm

gorzuate wrote:
MindFlayer wrote:

(...)

Actually, I have the same problem on my Gentoo box. :ohnoes:

It takes forever with defs.cpp, and then finally it bombs with some error about a luabind call/function. I just assumed my box was borked (although I didn't really know why since I didn't change, install, or uninstall anything, and it used to work before). It's nice to know I'm not the only one with the problem, but at the same time it sucks. :bang:

Also, when compiling on my OS X laptop, defs.cpp goes by real quick, so I don't know why it would be a lot slower on a supposedly more powerful desktop. Maybe because it's not a dual-core machine... :rolleyes: Yeah, right.

Yikes! :help: Then I hope someone worthy of worship will come give us a deb... (The first time I let it compile for half an hour, the other I decided to leave it be, and so after perhaps two hours I got a really hot laptop and was logged out from X/gdm/whatever-it-is-you-get-logged-out-from...)

/me wonders what calculations really need to be done to take that a :angry: time!
ettin

Postby ettin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:25 pm

kess wrote:Yikes! :help: Then I hope someone worthy of worship will come give us a deb...

I just posted the Debian packages in my previous post (http://www.allacrost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20239#20239)... not sure if they will work fine on Ubuntu, but feel free to try and report ;)
prophile

Postby prophile » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:26 pm

*releases a no-CD crack*

Return to “Design”