Entering/exiting towns and screens.

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Rain
Musician

Entering/exiting towns and screens.

Postby Rain » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:50 am

This thought occurred to me as I was playing Allacrost. The transitions from one area to the other are NOT very smooth. This is no fault of ours necessarily as this is an area which is generally not stressed upon in rpg fare.

However, I'd like to examine some thoughts about how we can make these transitions more stylistically effective/professional looking, possibly turning a weakness into a strength.

Here's an idea I've been thinking about for a while:

When leaving a town and entering the WORLD MAP, it would be really cool if the screen faded to black, somewhat slowly and the music also faded with the screen. The next screen on the world map would then fade in. When the image was completely integrated, perhaps the music can then begin...

This may sound silly but it seems like it would really work well theoretically. It could possibly make for a dramatic moment instead of just <WHOOSH!>

Likewise when entering a town, a fadeout occurs. It just seems kind of TOO sudden when all of a sudden, the screen is there. We could make good use of fade ins and fade outs to hide the seams of awkardness in transitions and better mentally prepare the game player for the next area.

Ridiculous?
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:29 am

Certainly this is what we would like to do (the fading thing). Its just not very easy to do right now because we are missing certain features in the engine that would make it work correctly. You'll notice that we do do the transition from boot mode to map mode when the player selects new game, but its kind of hackish right now. We'll address this fading thing soon, but not in release 0.2.0.
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:35 am

Cool. :approve:
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:25 am

Yeah, roots said it. :approve:

Return to “Design”