Page 3 of 3

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:53 pm
by rujasu
AMDmi3 wrote:Same here :(
Just a guess: the game takes 100% CPU, so maybe sound thread doesn't get enough ticks? I've seen it before in other games with OpenAL..


I don't know much about FreeBSD's sound management, but this could be an issue with the .openalrc file, as Roots said.

With Linux, you have to set it to look for the sound daemon: Arts for KDE, ESound for GNOME, and ALSA or OSS if you're using neither. Do you know what the proper sound backend is for your system/environment?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:04 pm
by AMDmi3
FreeBSD uses OSS at lowlevel, and of course all good-for-nothing sound daemons like arts, esd and portaudio are available as well (but I don't use any of those). Is there any documentation on how .openalrc can be tuned? I didn't find any docs/examples not in openal tarball nor on openal.org. Were sound issues on Linux solved by tuning openalrc, btw?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:07 pm
by gorzuate
AMDmi3 wrote:FreeBSD uses OSS at lowlevel, and of course all good-for-nothing sound daemons like arts, esd and portaudio are available as well (but I don't use any of those). Is there any documentation on how .openalrc can be tuned? I didn't find any docs/examples not in openal tarball nor on openal.org. Were sound issues on Linux solved by tuning openalrc, btw?


http://www.allacrost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1906

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:24 pm
by AMDmi3
Thanks. It seem to work much better with (define devices '(sdl)).
Gotta test it with another game I had sound problems with and maybe contact OpenAL devs then...

Anyway keep up the good work. I'll update the port to 0.2.1 soon.


... (posts combined by jetryl after thread split for continuity)

Roots wrote:If I did it, I had no idea that I had done it. But I don't see how I could have done it since I have no clue how you would do something like that in the first place.


Well, there are many examples of autotools macros out there, I guess. I didn't work with autotools, so I can only recommend trying CMake. It is really good at doing everything automagically (including lib/include path detection), so whole allacrost build script for both win and *nix including sdl/openal/qt detection and optional editor will fit on 2 pages and will be perfectly readable.

Roots wrote:The solution to that is to modify your ~/.openalrc file. The game takes 100% CPU no matter what, so its not like your system is being stressed to run the game.


Uh huh, fixed thru .openalrc. I'll make the port display a short note on this issue.