Changes from the last version:
- Used Jetrly's new menu cursor
- Added attack point selector graphic (its on the spider sprite)
- Changed the naming scheme for attack points from "AP: Name" to "(Name)". I like the parenthesized version much better
- Status afflictions for the selected enemy sprite now also appear in the enemy stats box
- There is only one action menu now instead of two.
Notes for the action menu in this draft:
- The action type images will definitely be made smaller than they are currently. I just didn't feel like taking the time to tweak them tonight.
- The list of actions is shown on the bottom in this layout just as a "hmm this is how it would look". Action types and the action list will -not- actually be drawn together, I just didn't feel like saving and uploading two versions of this draft for each menu.
- The menu window itself is 192x384 pixels (3x6 in 64x64 tiles). I don't think there's any reason to make it bigger or smaller than that.
Issues to address:
- Squeezing in the list of actions is pretty tight. Too tight, in fact. I'm wondering if we could draw the action list on two lines. The first line would contain the name, the second would contain the SP cost. Also, maybe the second line could have a "sub-type" ID, like "Short-range" or "Long-range" for attacks, "Ally" or "Self" for defends, "Ally" or "Enemy" for supports, etc. What do you guys think? Having that info would keep the second line from looking too sparse (i.e., it won't just be a single SP cost number), and also it will help the player identify what the skills actually do much easier (does this heal my self or my ally? does this fire spell work for a single enemy or multiple enemies? etc.)
- When the action list comes up, I think the "action type" (e.g., shield icon+ "Defend") should quickly zoom to the top of the window, and then the list of actions that the category supports can be drawn below the icon. It would be aethestically pleasing to have at least one icon (instead a list of text) and also helps the player remember what type of actions they selected (in case they pause the game, or have really bad short-term memory loss
- I still don't like the "box" for enemy status info. Especially because it will not always be filled with info (i.e., when no enemy sprite is selected). Instead, I think we should just draw a straight, white line or other small seperator between the character stats and the enemy status. Agree or disagree?
- If the action menu window can not be completely filled with information, should it be truncated to fit the size of the available info?
I'm unsure about this one, but right now I think that no truncation would be best...
We're looking really damn good now with this eh?
Just look to the beginning of the thread on the initial design ideas and look at how far we've come!