Demo Release 8/22

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

rujasu
Developer

Demo Release 8/22

Postby rujasu » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:53 am

Hey guys. It's been a bit quiet lately, but I've been doing a bit of work off the grid lately.

Basically, it's time for this demo to get out the door. I'd like to release on the weekend of August 21-22, rain or shine. If you care to protest this or suggest a different date, do so in this thread, otherwise I'm planning to release the demo on that Sunday. If you think the demo as it is right now needs any particular improvements, mention them here -- I can't guarantee they'll get in the game unless you're willing to work on them yourself, however.

I will need someone to help release the Mac OS X version of the game (or else Mac users will have to compile themselves :| ). I should be able to handle Windows/source distributions myself, but help would be appreciated.

The Portuguese translation is up-to-date, and the French translation is at 99% I believe. The German translation isn't ready, and the Spanish translation is probably going to remain partial unless someone comes along wishing to work on it. This is fine -- this is 2.5 more languages than the 1 we had before, and it allows us to demo both full and partial translations. Since translation settings are saved in the options file now, this is a huge step for us and something we can release to the public despite our lack of "refresh on the fly" functionality.

The current SVN game is free of obvious bugs, unlike the last "unstable" release, and is leaps and bounds ahead of our last "stable" demo release. Some other cleanup has happened since the unstable release, so check it out if you haven't. :cool:

Thanks.
Roots
Dictator

Re: Demo Release 8/22

Postby Roots » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'll be available during most of this next month to help out. Where would my time be best invested right now rujasu? The last thing I remember working on was several bugs and GUI enhancements to battle mode before I entered my long downtime. Let me know where I should get started and I'll see what I can do. Just got the latest SVN compiled and everything is working for me. The only issue I have is that Starcraft 2 comes out tomorrow... :angel:
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:13 am

Roots wrote:Sounds like a good plan to me. I'll be available during most of this next month to help out. Where would my time be best invested right now rujasu? The last thing I remember working on was several bugs and GUI enhancements to battle mode before I entered my long downtime. Let me know where I should get started and I'll see what I can do. Just got the latest SVN compiled and everything is working for me. The only issue I have is that Starcraft 2 comes out tomorrow... :angel:

Okay, cool. I think we have the critical bugs ironed out, but I really do need your help in battle mode. The way the damage text is aligned doesn't look right -- there's a thread somewhere about it. The graphics seem to have some really minor glitches; nothing I'm worried about, but keep an eye out for them. Most important thing I can remember from there is that HP is restored after battle because that information doesn't carry.

I think we have things pretty stable, if there's anything you think needs improvement please bring it up (and preferably, get working on it :angel: ) So basically, aside from the battle mode stuff, do some testing, see if you can find bugs, see if anything's wrong or missing. See if translations are working for you; you should be able to set a language, close out the game, and come back, and it will start in that language. Auto-refresh would be nice but I wouldn't know how to go about it; maybe we can put up a dialogue box to tell the player to restart the game? Or restart the game automatically? Something would probably be good there, but as it is now it at least works.

For my part, I need to work on the Windows port. I think it runs currently using the Code::Blocks project, but I haven't figured out how to get translations working. But then, I haven't really tried either. That's kind of mission-critical though, so I will try to find time to do it. The next weekend or two could be pretty busy for me, but I'll figure something out.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:30 am

Sounds great. I'd prefer to pick up where I left off because I know that I left a lot of unfinished business in the battle code. Do battle dialogues work again, or did we just take that out from the demo completely? I think I should be able to get those bugs and glitches worked on in time. Hopefully Starcraft 2 doesn't completely absorb me though (I'm installing it right now). I'll give Allacrost a thorough playthrough sometime soon and make note of any issues I have. I'll try to write them to this thread if I remember to.

Also the changing language feature is going to require a restart now and probably for a long time. We'd have to add in a mechanism to the video engine that can intelligently re-load font caches and re-fetch all active text and that's going to be a ton of work. Its low priority. We should just add a text message in the change language dialog that says the game must be restarted to change the language.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:30 pm

Roots wrote:Sounds great. I'd prefer to pick up where I left off because I know that I left a lot of unfinished business in the battle code. Do battle dialogues work again, or did we just take that out from the demo completely? I think I should be able to get those bugs and glitches worked on in time. Hopefully Starcraft 2 doesn't completely absorb me though (I'm installing it right now). I'll give Allacrost a thorough playthrough sometime soon and make note of any issues I have. I'll try to write them to this thread if I remember to.

Don't worry about battle dialogues for now. They don't work currently, and we'll need an event system for battles eventually, but the demo is going to run without them. The dialogue we had there is moved to after the battle now.

Also the changing language feature is going to require a restart now and probably for a long time. We'd have to add in a mechanism to the video engine that can intelligently re-load font caches and re-fetch all active text and that's going to be a ton of work. Its low priority. We should just add a text message in the change language dialog that says the game must be restarted to change the language.

I agree, I don't think auto-refresh is worth our time right now at all. It could be a potential project for a newcomer who wants to help us out.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:47 am

I will help with the OS X release, just in case that wasn't obvious.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:29 am

gorzuate wrote:I will help with the OS X release, just in case that wasn't obvious.

Cool.

I am free this weekend, and still planning to do the release then.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:47 am

I have no idea how to get Gettext working with Windows. Unfortunately, unless someone can help us with this, I'm not going to be able to get translations working on Windows any time soon. I'm really frustrated with this, but I'm still planning to release tomorrow, as there's no indication that it's going to get any better. I've poked all around the code, but nothing seems to work. :shrug:
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:20 am

rujasu wrote:I have no idea how to get Gettext working with Windows. Unfortunately, unless someone can help us with this, I'm not going to be able to get translations working on Windows any time soon. I'm really frustrated with this, but I'm still planning to release tomorrow, as there's no indication that it's going to get any better. I've poked all around the code, but nothing seems to work. :shrug:

I take it you've already tried everything the Gettext FAQ says about Windows...
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Source package is uploaded to SourceForge. Gorzuate is working on the OS X package, and I'm working on the ZIP for Windows.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:36 am

Source, Windows, and Mac OS X releases all available now on SourceForge!

Return to “Design”