Allacrost Music

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Rain
Musician

Allacrost Music

Postby Rain » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:30 am

Here are a few songs to listen to. The feedback I have gotten so far from listeners comments has been very instrumental on improving myself and the Allacrost soundtrack.  I know Joe feels the same.  This is a thread dedicated to making the Allacrost soundtrack as good as it can possibly be!  Please keep in mind that many of the songs aren't complete yet.  Be as nitpicky as you like, I can take it. ;)  I know Joe and I would love to hear some criticism of our work, but only if its constructive.  

There is much more content on the way.

Thanks for listening!  

-Rain

Boss Battle
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rai ... tle2.5.mp3

Newest Battle Version
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rain/Newbattle.mp3

Self Explanatory
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rai ... tFugue.mp3

Theme development
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rai ... ission.mp3

Possible Promo Piece
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/roo ... acrost.mp3
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:57 am

I dunno why no one has posted to this thread yet. :shrug: I was a bit shocked though because you actually posted samples here that not even the staff has heard yet! It was a pleasant surprise though. :D Well first I'll redudantly give my overall feeling to the tracks I've already heard:

Boss Battle
:bow: :bow: :bow: I don't think it gets much better than this! It's absolutely excellent :!: :approve:

Fugue
Wow, reminds me of RPG music in the really old days (like Dragon Warrior I). Not my style personally, but I can see it finding its way into being the theme for a very sophisticated palace or something later in the game. :angel:

Allacrost Intro
I was really confused at first, because you have the other intro theme that you've been working on and at first I was like "Wait, this isn't that song...". You need to start naming your WIP tracks a little less ambiguously. :) Anyway, I think this is more of a marching / exploration type-song than anything else (maybe even a world map theme). I like it though :approve:

Now for the tracks that I haven't heard until this thread:

Newest Battle Theme
My general reaction is :|. Its just too techno-ish I think, and I like the previous battle drafts much better than this one.

Intermission
Wow! Where did this one come from? Definitely :bow:-worthy. :D So I think you said somewhere that you intended for this track to be at the end of the prologue, as Claudius takes off into the distant sand dunes, am I right? Initially I thought a motivational, adventurous theme would do well there, but after listening to this a few times you've chnaged my mind. :cool: This piece has a lot of feeling to it, and I like that. In some ways it reminds me of a "save theme", like in the old Lufia games. Anyway, long-story-short great work on this one. :)
roos
Developer

Postby roos » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:19 am

Oh cool! New music eh!! I would have posted here but somehow I missed this thread. When I came back from vacation there were like 100 threads waiting for me (Roots has some kind of evil plan to retaliate against my excessive forum posting or something) so in the mess I didn't see this... I'm gonna get to sleep now actually but I'll get on tomorrow and post some comments. :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:23 am

roos wrote:Oh cool! New music eh!! I would have posted here but somehow I missed this thread. When I came back from vacation there were like 100 threads waiting for me (Roots has some kind of evil plan to retaliate against my excessive forum posting or something) so in the mess I didn't see this... I'm gonna get to sleep now actually but I'll get on tomorrow and post some comments. :approve:

Well my last week at work you and Sylon were posting like every 5 minutes and I couldn't keep up (especially with that thread on object shadows) so I needed my revenge. I also needed my revenge for you committing to the CVS like 3 or 4 times in a row. Now we are even again :devil:
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:34 am

zOMG! :bow: I love that new stuff! All of it! It's friggin' awesome!! :bow: :bow:
kudos, Rain :approve:
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:12 am

Cool!  :heh: I was hoping someone would notice sooner or later.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:23 am

I think everyone was just afraid to comment on something before I did.

Everyday Scenario

Staff (A): "Hey guys here's some new art I did, tell me what you think."
Staff (B): ".........."
Staff (C): ".........."
Staff (D): ".........."
Roots: "Wow! It looks awesome, great job! I really think this will integrate well with the other art we have for this."
Staff (B): "Totally awesome dude! Way to go! Mad props go out"
Staff (C): "Amazing! I can't believe how great this looks!"
Staff (D): "It definitely fits in well with our other art, and it looks incredible. Way to go man, keep up the good work!"
Staff (A): Hehe, thanks guys!

You're sheep! You're all sheep! Try coming up with your own damn opinion every once and a while! Its not like I'll bite your head off if you disagree with me, sheesh! :rolleyes:

(I am, of course, poking fun at everyone and didn't mean anything by my joke above ;))
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:11 pm

Roots: "Wow! It looks awesome, great job! I really think this will integrate well with the other art we have for this."
Staff (B): "Totally awesome dude! Way to go! Mad props go out"
Staff (C): "Amazing! I can't believe how great this looks!"
Staff (D): "It definitely fits in well with our other art, and it looks incredible. Way to go man, keep up the good work!"
Staff (A): Hehe, thanks guys!

Staff (E): "I dunno guys, and sorry I got here late"

I'll give the 5 second on the ones that haven't changed:

2.5 - Still one of my favs, but where's the ending?  Are you waiting (Like I am) to find out the verdict on looping, or just haven't figured out how to tie it back?  I'd say you have enough developed themes, so you can put it back to the original if you want with a singular transition, without having to go to another bridge to get there.

New battle - CASTLEVANIA!  It's kinda neat, and it would go well in a cemetary or night battle, especially something with vampires, demons, or other eastern european myth forces.  Do what you want with it, but whatever you do, mix it down better.  You are not utilizing your greatest strength and that is your orchestration skills.  The levels are not what they should be, so that'd be the first thing to fix.  From there, play around with it and see where it takes you.

Fugue - Not a real fugue in many respects, but it is stylistic of J.S. Bach, with much extended tonality.  But who cares, this isn't counterpoint class, right?  Only thing I'd be mindful of here is that rock organ sounding a bit too ELP or Cook County Southern Baptist (go for a real pipe organ).  But the real neat part of this is that it is very seamless, so you can put it just about anywhere it's needed, and use it for 3 seconds, or 30 minutes.  It doesn't get irritating.  That's the power of diverse content!

Intermission - Slow this sucker down!  Those harmonies are not getting the attention they deserve.  Back it down 22-28 bpm and you should be fine.  Nice rendition of an already good theme.  Can I get a midi copy of the theme in just a piano track so I can use it for reference in my works?  Yet another example of good materials done well.

Promo - I think this would work pretty well on the overworld or in some sort of battle staging.  It really reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics.  I wasn't a huge fan of it, until I picked up FF9 the other day, and realized that the overworld themes of FF post 6 weren't that good.  Really, they were kind of irritating, and you almost wanted random battles to get rid of that theme.  This theme doesn't make me feel that way.  Great overworld, but it could possibly use some more materials, because at about 2:00 I'm getting a bit bored (especially since you're using the allacrost theme over again, which is going to get heard a lot).  So your solution is either don't use this in a place where we'll hear it a lot (like brief scenes), or develop some more of those internal materials.

Why didn't you post your other fight track on here?  It was great (I'm not talking about the Mod File one).
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:38 pm

Loodwig wrote:2.5 - Still one of my favs, but where's the ending?  Are you waiting (Like I am) to find out the verdict on looping, or just haven't figured out how to tie it back?  

Wow, really? I didn't realize that you were being held back because of that issue. I'll bump it up a few notches on my priority list. In fact, I'll get started on it right this minute. :hack:
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:52 pm

Awesome feedback Loodwig.  Perfect actually!  :D

Yea, I was waiting to see what will be done for the looping agenda before I proceed.  I actually lost the equipment I used to compose this (We got new G5s up at school so I will have to find a way to maybe recompose this song with my new specs.)   :mad: My fault though...

new battle, this one probably will be scrapped for the purposes of this game.  Roots already mentioned that we have enough battle music already, but I was feeling it so I just let it flow and here it is.  

Fugue, maybe you can help me make this a better fugue, instead of merely being fugue-ish. ;)  I can't find the right sounds in Reason to make a good sounding organ.  Its too bassy sounding. if you come across a good Reason organ patch, let me know what it is.

Intermission - ok!  :)  I'll slow it up a bit and see how that changes the flow.
Joe, I would love to get you a theme in piano.  This was transposed from C minor.   I will get something going in Finale so you can see what I am doing.  

Promo, I was thinking of slowing this one down and making it the map theme.  ?  What are your thoughts on that?  I will make it much more mysterious sounding and more spacey with less going on and it should probably work pretty well.  I was really excited with this one at first, when I shouldn't have been.   :P  I need to learn how to chill out and have patience with my works and not try to just flop everything down all at once.

I'll do some editing and get back with you guys as I continue to develop these pieces.  School is starting which means my composing time for Allacrost will PROBABLY be down...  Then again,  the opposite may be true as well.  Thanks for the input Joe and Tyler.

:approve:

(of Zeon)

roos
Developer

Postby roos » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:17 am

Ahh, finally I got a chance to listen to the songs, so here are my comments. Sorry it's a bit late!!

Boss battle- very cool.. I like the syncopation going on starting at 0:55. I also like the way it starts out, like from 0:00-:0:20. Great work :approve:

New battle- I love what you did with this one. I don't know about this one for a battle theme, but I can really envision it being badass as all hell if you modified it a little into an "oh shit" theme. For example, in Final Fantasy 7, there's a song called "Hurry" which is played on some parts where there's some tense situation and the player has to hurry. Here's a link to the midi

http://www.fantasysquare.com/media/ff7/download/Hurry.mid

Fugue- Again I love what you did with this, although I had a hard time trying to think of where to use it in the game. As Roots said, maybe it could be a theme for a palace or something later in the game.

Intermission- Cool, sounds great. I agree with Loodwig about slowing it down just a bit.

Promo- I already commented on this in the past I think :)

Anyway... The only other comment I have is that I think we should be careful not to overuse the allacrost theme, imo. For example, as wonderful as it is, I think I might get sick of it if it's used in the intro, the map theme, the battle theme, etc etc... I mean I love all the songs you've made and as individual pieces of music they are all great, just don't forget that players will end up hearing these songs over and over (hopefully they'll love our game enough that they actually play it for hours!!) so after a while even a great melody can start getting on the nerves if the player hears it too much. Just my 2 cents...

Anyway keep it up man, this is very exciting :D

roos
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:32 am

roos wrote:Ahh, finally I got a chance to listen to the songs, so here are my comments. Sorry it's a bit late!!

Boss battle- very cool.. I like the syncopation going on starting at 0:55. I also like the way it starts out, like from 0:00-:0:20. Great work :approve:

New battle- I love what you did with this one. I don't know about this one for a battle theme, but I can really envision it being badass as all hell if you modified it a little into an "oh shit" theme. For example, in Final Fantasy 7, there's a song called "Hurry" which is played on some parts where there's some tense situation and the player has to hurry. Here's a link to the midi

http://www.fantasysquare.com/media/ff7/download/Hurry.mid

Fugue- Again I love what you did with this, although I had a hard time trying to think of where to use it in the game. As Roots said, maybe it could be a theme for a palace or something later in the game.

Intermission- Cool, sounds great. I agree with Loodwig about slowing it down just a bit.

Promo- I already commented on this in the past I think :)

Anyway... The only other comment I have is that I think we should be careful not to overuse the allacrost theme, imo. For example, as wonderful as it is, I think I might get sick of it if it's used in the intro, the map theme, the battle theme, etc etc... I mean I love all the songs you've made and as individual pieces of music they are all great, just don't forget that players will end up hearing these songs over and over (hopefully they'll love our game enough that they actually play it for hours!!) so after a while even a great melody can start getting on the nerves if the player hears it too much. Just my 2 cents...

Anyway keep it up man, this is very exciting :D

roos

Oh man I hadn't been back here in awhile!  

New Battle A "hurry, hurry" type theme?  Hmmm, that might be an excellent idea.  I hadn't even thought of that.  I think given our current setup, its too early to plan ahead for this but it could be a very effective feature down the road.  I'll keep this one around just in case.

Fugue- I am going to rewrite this IDEA into the final battle.  I want to make the final battle pretty evil and powerful, like Dancing Mad.  I am not going to worry about this one too much for right now.  

Intermission- I will try to get more out of it...Maybe I am rushing the harmonies a little bit...I will go back and see how I can modify the sound without altering it too much to get the most out of what I have.  I'll have a new version before long.  

I don't think the main theme will be played too much when its all said and done.  Keep  in mind that these themes will be played at different points during the story to pique interest!  If they were played one after the other consecutively then I would try to rewrite it to be less repetitious.  However, If I get the feeling that anything is starting to sound repetitious I will change it up immediately. However, we won't really know that until we get further along in development.

Thanks for the critique.  :)

(of Zeon)

Gravity 0

Re: Allacrost Music

Postby Gravity 0 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:19 pm

They seem too much Amiga Chips....
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:47 pm

Gravity 0 wrote:They seem too much Amiga Chips....

what would you propose?
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
prophile

Postby prophile » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:37 pm

Late post and slightly off topic but that's a semitone flat.
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:25 am

prophile wrote:

Late post and slightly off topic but that's a semitone flat.

AHHH, it is!, though I think I like it better in F minor than in E minor.
~Sergei Prokofiev
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:31 am

Loodwig wrote:

what would you propose?

We get signal. :huh:
Gravity 0

Postby Gravity 0 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:37 pm

Jetryl wrote:
Loodwig wrote:

what would you propose?

they are a bit old... it seems like MIDIs or Amiga Chips (Songs written using AmigaTracker on the Amiga) Idears? You hire me instead. I do good beats as I am a DJ and my music is much better, obviously because me am Dj. I listen to DJ Jazzy Jeff and Will Smith. They are my musical idols. Da best musichinz evars, ipso fatso.
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:59 pm

Gravity 0 wrote:
Jetryl wrote:
Loodwig wrote:

what would you propose?

they are a bit old... it seems like MIDIs or Amiga Chips (Songs written using AmigaTracker on the Amiga)

One of the things the project is striving towards is a retro sound. I would point out the demo itself uses a combination of retro synths with orchestral samples. Would you advise a different approach?
~Sergei Prokofiev
Gravity 0

Postby Gravity 0 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:32 am

This is a modern game (for modern i intend 32bit graphics, opengl support :eyespin: ) so i think it's better some new 16bit warm sound....

Return to “Design”