In another thread Atypikal mentioned that he was willing to help out with map scripting. So I kind of want to outline here exactly what we need to do. This is somewhat difficult because we don't have any dialogue ready and the maps are still not fully complete. That said, we're not unable to do this work, but whoever does it is essentially going to be writing temporary dialogue and creating scenes (character movements, etc) without much guidance. As a reminder, this module of the game follows the story in the prologue
chapter that you can read here. The chapter is not meant to be an instruction guide, but is rather a story that the game is based off of.
We currently have three scenes/maps from the prologue story more or less complete (the intro march to the cave, the cave, and the walk back to the city). What we need to finish are the remaining three map scripts:
- Harrvah capital under attack by demons
- Harrvah capital aftermath
- Sand dock departure scene
All three currently have a working map file prepared, but need the scripting to be done. The first two are going to be large, and complicated scripts. The last one is much shorter and easier to do and is thus much easier for a new scripter to start on. Rather than give a very detailed guide of everything that needs to happen in these map scripts, I'm instead going to give a "storyboard" version of each major scene and piece of content. The scripter can start from there, and add in dialogue that matches well with what is in the prologue story.
I'll be handling this one and have already gotten started on it.
1) Knights enter the capital to find it under attack by a demon force. After a brief dialogue, NPC knights move to engage in battle while the party is given the mission to go the castle and speak with the captain of the royal guard to receive further orders.
2) Party must make their way through the fire, fights, and chaos of the city streets. The main road is blocked off so the player has to go around side alleys to get to the castle. Enemy encounters along the way.
3) While ascending a staircase, Claudius gets cut off from Mark and Lukar by demons that appear from above. He is ordered to continue onward to find the captain.
4) Claudius makes his way to the throne room, which has become a battleground itself. There he sees the king about to be ambushed from behind, and rushes in to save him and engages the beast (boss fight)
5) After Claudius defeats the beast, the demons retreat back into the shadows from whence they came. The screen fades to black with a "3 Days Later..." message on the screen
This is after the attack and sets up the motivation for the main quest, so its pretty important that this be done well. It follows right after the capital attack map script ends.
1) Player starts with just Claudius in the party. He is in his home (top right house in the village) with his family. Short monologue/dialogue about the results of the attack, the lives destroyed, etc.
2) Claudius needs to go to the knight barracks (in the castle) to proceed to the next main event. He can stop and speak with NPCs along the way, who are filled with grief and exhaustion and remark as such in their dialogues.
3) Claudius reaches the barracks and his former unit (the knights from the early part of the game). Once they all assemble, they march toward the throne room and listen to the king speak.
4) King gives a speech thanking the knights for their bravery (see prologue for dialogue here). As they are dismissed, he asks that Claudius stay for a moment longer.
5) King commends Claudius for saving his life. Reveals to Claudius the legend of the hero, and asks him to consider a mission to travel the world to find the hero and bring him to the king
6) Claudius agrees, and must return home to prepare for his journey the next day
7) Laila (Claudius' sister) hears him packing late at night and the two have a dialogue about what he is about to do. Screen fades to black
8) The next day, Claudius explains to his parents downstairs of his mission with Laila listening in. They agree to send him off later that afternoon
9) Claudius can roam the town once again. The gateway to the passage that is beneath the twin towers of the castle is opened, and Claudius can now go to explore the dock.
Yes, this is a long one with a lot of dialogue and scenes. Eventually we'll also want to add a NPC with a sidequest somewhere in here, but not for this release.
This is where the game module ends. Once the player has access to this area, they can go here and talk to a NPC to set of a chain of events that will end the game.
1) Claudius can talk to the various NPCs on the dock.
2) One NPC is in charge of preparing his craft (sand glider) for him to begin making his journey. NPC asks Claudius "Are you ready to depart?" and if the player selects yes, the following scenes occur and the game ends
3) A small number of knights come to the dock to bid Claudius farewell, including Lukar (but not Mark). Short dialogue
4) Claudius' family bids him farewell (refer to dialogue at end of the prologue)
5) Screen fades to black with a "To be continued..." and after a short time returns to the boot screen.
One of the issues we have right now is that there is no way to tell a map to "begin" at a certain location/place. For example, the aftermath map will need multiple points of entry because the player can both begin it in Claudius' home after the attack, and it can begin from the top center of the map if the player enters it from the sand dock. We'll need a smarter map loading mechanism so that we can set criteria that get invoked when a map loads. I think being able to pass a simple integer to a map script's load function should suffice for now.