Inventory

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:27 pm

Ok small progress on my site if the code doesn't support it we can use what he supports.

After I figured out how to hold a pencil without breaking it I made small progress.

Please Note these are just sketches without any afterwork or inking (Actual I wanted to avoid drawing but well :uhoh: ).

The style isn't coherent because I don't know which one would fit the best.

Currently I use a stone parchment but if get my finger on some vellum parchment we could make this stuff looking like a book the only question is what would look better.

I hope Safir doesn't mind that I lend his avatar just a example how the ingame protraits could be used there.

The inventory would work like this normal navigation though arrow keys in the right box could pop up informations about the item (stats, history, ...)
If the player wants to interact with the item he would push enter and would jump into the right box where he can choose what he wants to do.
Perhaps not the cleanest solution but both would work keyboard (and if some one has the time :angel: ) drag and drop.

Hey if someone has an idea about the decorations or is able to do something better it would be cool.

So at last could someone who is familiar with this part of the code say if it would be possible or willing to arrange it.
Last edited by wayfarer on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:45 pm

I like that layout actually. :) I think it would be much more refreshing than seeing something like that rather than the rather plain, tired RPG interface we've seen in FF games. It's definitely possible to code that up. Of course there are details we'll need to iron out, but in general I :approve: of doing this type of design for the equip menu. For the inventory menu though, I don't think that should just list the items and not try to do anything flashy. I'm interested in what Steu thinks of this though, since this field is his ballpark. :)
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:02 pm

hmmm looks interesting, definately something that could work.  Basically we would be combining our status-equipment-inventory views together.  One thing that I would add to the view is another "box" that is common across all views, this is the one with the time, location, money, etc....  For equiping items in this view, we could have the cursor in the inventory section, then depending on which item is selected a different action takes place.

1.) An item is selected (HP/SP/Status Recovery), then you get a little popup window to select which character to use the item on.
2.) A piece of equipment is selected, then the item would be equiped into the character in the top right.

That's all the thoughts I have so far, if I think of anything else, I'll put them up here.
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Steu wrote:hmmm looks interesting, definately something that could work.  Basically we would be combining our status-equipment-inventory views together.  One thing that I would add to the view is another "box" that is common across all views, this is the one with the time, location, money, etc....  For equiping items in this view, we could have the cursor in the inventory section, then depending on which item is selected a different action takes place.

Quiet easy to solve perhaps a stupid question but what for stats do exist? Anywhere some preferences?

Steu wrote:1.) An item is selected (HP/SP/Status Recovery), then you get a little popup window to select which character to use the item on.
2.) A piece of equipment is selected, then the item would be equiped into the character in the top right.

That's all the thoughts I have so far, if I think of anything else, I'll put them up here.

If it could be solved so simple would be great.

And what equipment can a character wear?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:14 pm

Steu wrote:Basically we would be combining our status-equipment-inventory views together.

I am wary of thinking of this design in this way. I thought about this a bit, and I still think we should have seperate sub-menus for item/equip/skill/status. It just so happens that this equip menu would be showing status, equipment, and items all in the same view. :)

Steu wrote:One thing that I would add to the view is another "box" that is common across all views, this is the one with the time, location, money, etc....

This was originally what I thought too, but I'm double questioning why we would want to do this. Why would I care to know my money/location/play time when all I want to do is equip my character? Shouldn't we be best utilizing that screen space to convey more relevant information to the player at that point? :shrug: Food for thought.

Wayfarer: characters can equip different pieces of armor on the head, trunk, arms, legs, one weapon, and perhaps an accessory. I think we're also going to limit the number of items each character can carry into battle as well (no more "infinite stockpile" as far as battles are concerned).
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:40 pm

Why would you not want to join the views together?

Roots wrote:This was originally what I thought too, but I'm double questioning why we would want to do this. Why would I care to know my money/location/play time when all I want to do is equip my character? Shouldn't we be best utilizing that screen space to convey more relevant information to the player at that point? I dunno Food for thought.

Well the main reason is because that's where my main menu is  :heh: Also that's the way it's done in most games.  Yay for tunnel vision lol.  I have no valid reason against removing it though.

Wayfarer wrote:Quiet easy to solve perhaps a stupid question but what for stats do exist? Anywhere some preferences?

I'm sorry I don't quite follow, what is it that your asking?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:05 pm

Steu wrote:Why would you not want to join the views together?

Maybe status could be grouped with equipment (in fact, it probably should be), but I would rather have a seperate screen for inventory management. When I pull up Claudius' equipment/status screen, I only want to see icons that are viable for him (ie, I don't want to see a crossbow which he can't equip). I dunno.

Steu wrote:Well the main reason is because that's where my main menu is  :heh: Also that's the way it's done in most games.  Yay for tunnel vision lol.  I have no valid reason against removing it though.

Cool. :) Anyone else approve or reject this motion?
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:13 pm

Roots wrote:Cool. :) Anyone else approve or reject this motion?

Motion approved! :D
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:58 am

Steu: I think it would be a good idea if you put together a sample draft image illustrating the design of each window in MenuMode so we can discuss, debate, and decide on how to best display and manipulate this information. That's typically what we did with all the game modes in the past and it works out well since it means you don't have to re-write code later. I have some ideas to share and will probably make some drafts of my own later this week or next to illustrate them. But I highly recommend you produce mock-ups like wayfarer has done sooner rather than later. :angel:
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:36 pm

Steu wrote:

Wayfarer wrote:Quiet easy to solve perhaps a stupid question but what for stats do exist? Anywhere some preferences?

I'm sorry I don't quite follow, what is it that your asking?

Well sorry I mean character statisitcs you know experience lifepoints, mana, strength, inteligence, the whole thing I don't know how what attributs are used whether they are used.

Ok let's split the whole thing in three parts. First the less important characterview base sketch without any shading.

Comments, Ideas, Suggestions?
Last edited by wayfarer on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:08 am

Ok I finally have some time to reply to this thread.

To Wayfarer:

For stats, I'm not completely sure all of what is planned, but there will be a couple of stats on top of Health Points (HP) and Skill Points (SP).

Also I'm not sure we would need that many boxes on the picture of the char.
I'm not sure how many equipable slots there will be for sure, but as of now we have Head, Body, Arms, and Legs.

To Roots:

I'll get to work on those they might take some time, my artistic-type talent is definately lacking to say the least.
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:22 pm

Hey art is just luck the more I do the better it gets (after the hundredth try  :D )

Excuse my fast progressing. Just got an idea

http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ex9ri.jpg

The whole thing is in lighter quality (not to say lousy, got no webspace) the whole charactersystem will be displayed as a book. The whole stuff is hand made and will need a lot slavish handwork until it's completly finished. But hopeful the result is worth it.

The composition is just temporary until this thing is cleared. But well I hope I could visualise what I'm imaging.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:32 pm

Hey that's pretty cool. I like the idea of seeing character stats as a book page. :) Not sure what everyone else thinks, but I :approve:
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:54 pm

I like the book look, I would want all of the menu mode to be in the book look though, not just this particular view, I feel it needs to be consistent.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:02 pm

Steu wrote:I like the book look, I would want all of the menu mode to be in the book look though, not just this particular view, I feel it needs to be consistent.

I agree. Somehow we'd need to make this look work for the main view (with 4 abbreviated character profiles, general information, and an option menu). I think the toughest part is figuring out how to put the option menus in a coherent and understandable way on this layout. :huh:
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:28 pm

Ok I've been really struggling with trying to get something to display, my graphics skills are horrendous. Anyways I thought I might just describe my thoughts, and maybe wayfarer could whip up a mock up or something.
But what I was thinking (actually I just came up with another idea right now)
1.) have the menu on the left page, and have 4 characters on the right stacked top to bottom, and you can scroll through the characters there, paging through them 4 at a time.

2.) This is the other possibility I thought of, have the menu split across both pages along the bottom, then have 2 characters on the left above it, and 2 on the right.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:41 pm

You know, a mock up doesn't have to look spectacular. Just throw up some boxes and text and say what each box/whatever is for. Look at this early early (2004) mock-up I did for the menu mode:

wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:59 pm

Well spectacular :ohnoes:

Uggly hopeful I understood. I would stick for 1) Because more space for the artist to whoop it up.
This would work with a kind of a tab control for every character.
switching between the characters would mean that for every one would pop up a new window.

Visual it would be (if we stay with the book) a kind of bookmark system.
Being Venturous these interface class could be shared for the characterview and for the ability and magic view (Hopeful I haven't talked trash my programming skills aren't the best :uhoh: )

I guess (thanks to gorzuate :D ) I've created more puzzlement than anything else.
I better shut up
Last edited by wayfarer on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:15 pm

Heh I was trying to base it off the one a view posts up by wayfarer.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:26 pm

wayfarer wrote:http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ex9ri.jpg

Whoa. Cool runes, man. :D I like the design.

Return to “Design”