Inventory

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Ranger M

Postby Ranger M » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:34 pm

Jetryl wrote:
wayfarer wrote:http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ex9ri.jpg

Whoa. Cool runes, man. :D I like the design.

yeah, but those runes in the middle could use a bit of colouring, as without it they look a bit jumpled.

But they rock all the same :approve:

as for the design of the new mock up, the bookmark thingy is a bit square at the top (although you were probably going to fix this anyway), and maybe looks a but blurry :eyebrow: , but good all the same :approve:
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks at the moment just work in progress.

@Steu
I could send you the original file with layers to play around if you want and to anyone else around here who needs them.
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:53 pm

OK I see not really a progress no ideas?

Ok here is the real big view

Thanks to deviantart.

Ok I don't really know allacrost will handle advancements and characteristics do I sticked for the more classical view.
Some Inventory itemes and so on.

Ideas?
Last edited by wayfarer on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger M

Postby Ranger M » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:49 pm

It doesn't load up for some reason, gets stuck on 96% and then freezes (I left it for about four minutes and nothing happened.)

I'll try again later, but if it isn't working for anybody else then could you host it on imageshack for somewhere like that?
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:52 pm

Too big. Only Deviant art allows such big pngs haven't found something else yet.

Though it should actual work
Ranger M

Postby Ranger M » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:01 pm

yeah, its strange because deviantart always worked for me.

EDIT: and for those with the same problem as me, go here. It will give you a basic not very detailed idea of what it looks like.
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:25 pm

Well still any problems viewing it?

Well I quess finished until someone says something else.

Latest edition

And something new not finished yet
Last edited by wayfarer on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:24 pm

We discussed your designs and tossed around some opinions at our staff meeting today. Once gorzuate posts the meeting minutes, I'll copy over the major points that people made and we can revive a discussion on this layout. In general we all like the design (the book, the runes, etc.) but there are a few things that most people had issues with. More to come on that later. ;)
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:37 am

Added the menu mode to the wiki with some info from the meeting, and it pertains here, I don't have time to copy all the stuff here so refer to

http://allacrost.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Menu_Mode
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:15 pm

Steu wrote:Added the menu mode to the wiki with some info from the meeting, and it pertains here, I don't have time to copy all the stuff here so refer to

http://allacrost.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Menu_Mode

All clarities eliminated :huh: . Hope I got it.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30587861/
(Deviant seems a little bit busy could take while to load it)

Some questions no further items like a second ranged weapon, or rings, books, other personal items.
Still textbased :eyebrow: just wondering the possibilities are given for some graphics.

Though I'm only a artist and not a coder I'm fine with it if it's final.
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:04 pm

Something kinda like this (I know this is completely horrible, but I'm a coder, and an absolutely crappy artist.)

wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:42 pm

Steu wrote:Something kinda like this (I know this is completely horrible, but I'm a coder, and an absolutely crappy artist.)

Wonderful a visual help :approve: .

http://www.deviantart.com/view/30080555/

A question will the text be layed with the code so I could get rid of it within the image.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:40 pm

Wayfarer - these are the latest portraits from SK. You can try resizing them to figure out how big the box for the portraits should be in this inventory screen.

Find a good size that keeps most of the detail without breaking the layout of the page. Also, you'll probably need to mask those pictures on your own, crop them, or matte them onto black.

Those should be a helpful resource in designing this interface.

http://allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-k ... rtrait.png
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/saf ... rtrait.png
Zorbfish

Postby Zorbfish » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:47 pm

How about instead of the sillouette you put the battle sprite for the character you're equipping? The generic body just looks too Diablo-esque. And do stats need to really go on the equip screen?
visage
Former Staff

Postby visage » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:41 am

I agree with Zorb. Either the sillouette, or the sprite itself (animated as idle)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:11 am

A few notes on the latest drafts from Steu and wayfarer:

1) In the meeting last week I think most people wanted to remove all the weapon/armor/item icons and just have them be text. We need to get an official verdict about that I think.

2) Also what about showing status/element resistance/weaknesses? Changing equipment will also change those I think...

3) I think the weapon should be lsited above all the armor

Zorbfish wrote:How about instead of the sillouette you put the battle sprite for the character you're equipping? /quote]

That is exactly what I was thinking. And just like as visage suggested, I think it should be the sprite's idle animation. :approve:

Zorbfish wrote:The generic body just looks too Diablo-esque. And do stats need to really go on the equip screen?

I agree that it's too Diablo-esque. I actually like that the stats are on the equip screen. When I change a weapon, I can easily see what stats change. Take a look at the following link

http://members.tripod.com/jdtrans/ff2_4.gif

As a player, why do I care to see this screen? The only thing relative for me to see there is HP, MP, and XP. All those other stats mean nothing to me, because I can't see them change when I swap equipment with my character and I can't see how those stats compare with my other characters. So IMHO, having a screen like that in menu mode would be pointless. :disapprove:
Steu
Developer

Postby Steu » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:17 pm

1) Yeah I think most people agreed that text only would be the way to go so :approve: from me.

2) Another big :approve: here. I think any stat that something equipable can change should/will be on the left side on the status half of the screen.

3) Yeah your right weapon first seems better :approve:

4) Showing the sprite is great, one more :approve:

I totally agree with Roots, having all the pertinent stats on the same page as your equipment allows you to see exactly what effect that piece of equipment will do for you.

Oh P.S. you can't hot link to tripod pics so go to http://members.tripod.com/jdtrans/ff2.html and look at the last picture, that's the one Roots is talking about.
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:31 pm

1) :cry: But well I must accept it

2) Actual I have forgotten this it but it can be added

3) No big deal will be changed

Zorbfish wrote:How about instead of the sillouette you put the battle sprite for the character you're equipping? The generic body just looks too Diablo-esque. And do stats need to really go on the equip screen?

The Shilouette well if we have some full body pics or some bigger sprites it can get away.

But hey the stats are almost always displayed aren't there requirements for using a super heavy armor or doesn't strentgh effect the damage dealt?
Yeah I stick a little to Diablo because the interface was quite good and clear.

Before I can Change it it would be could if someone says me how the character and attribute system works I'm sticking a little in the dark and improvise most of the time isn't there a wiki page?

Jetryl wrote:Wayfarer - these are the latest portraits from SK. You can try resizing them to figure out how big the box for the portraits should be in this inventory screen.

Find a good size that keeps most of the detail without breaking the layout of the page. Also, you'll probably need to mask those pictures on your own, crop them, or matte them onto black.

Those should be a helpful resource in designing this interface.

http://allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-k ... rtrait.png
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/saf ... rtrait.png

Thanks quite big hopefull I can keep most of the details they are really big.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:23 pm

What?? Just text for weapons, etc.? No icons??? :disapprove: Eye-candy is a must! It makes things look :cool:
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:09 pm

Well what the portrait is too big is the battle sprite too small I tried it but it is not the best way some color portraits would be nice perhaps even only the line art monochromatic is always a eye-catcher :cool: .
Base concept can be discussed.
I'll try some new decos got some ideas so this might change
Last edited by wayfarer on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Design”