An interesting quote...

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

EmreBFG
Team Manager

Postby EmreBFG » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:14 pm

eleazar wrote:"Realism" is almost never a good goal for a game, yet many people on FOSS game sites believe that realism=fun.

I'll admit, I've had my moments when I would think that a realistic game would the most awesome thing ever. And then I realize that I don't play games to emulate real life (unless they're simulators) - I play them to escape it.

Does anyone think realistic jumping physics for an overweight plumber from Brooklin would be any fun? Mario couldn't jump 24 inches (avg. NBA vertical is ~30-32in.), let alone 12 feet -- and let's not forget changing direction in mid-air.
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:04 pm

I would say the aim should not be realism, but rather "balance." We aren't expecting realistic goblins, because goblins don't exist. When we walk outside, in a seeming peaceful neighborhood, the only thing we get accosted by are thugs, cops, and angry grannys. I played this game (believe it was called Earthbound).

But what I do see is a valid battle of just how much does the enemy improve with me? I liked in many of these games when you end up fighting mosquitos later on, that the mosquitos did little or no harm, or you could just avoid them all together? I mean, a minor battle (we're talking really minor, not just a few levels below) will yield pathetic experience, no treasure, and a waste of time. Let's just skip them, if we could. The goal should be to avoid death, not tedium.
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Postby EmreBFG » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:36 pm

Loodwig wrote:The goal should be to avoid death, not tedium.

Ahh, so true. No FF game (outside of parts of the first) ever had me worrying about death unless I did something really stupid. DQ8, on the other hand, beat this point into the ground so much that I was worrying how badly I'd die when I went into a new area or faced a boss for the first time -- that was bad as well. I had no chance but to grind and level up.

If the previous FF games imposed some of these tedium avoiding measures, and upped their general difficulty, it'd be more fun to play them again. It seems like I just mash the same combinations repeatedly just so I can get to somewhere more fun in the game.

Return to “Design”