Battle Layout Discussions, Part II

A discussion area for general design issues that staff would like detailed feedback on.

Moderator: Staff

Which battle layout entry do you personally like the best?

Entry #1
56%
Entry #2
11%
Entry #3
11%
Entry #4
22%
My favorite isn't listed! (explain)
No votes

Total votes: 9
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:07 pm

Rain wrote:That could work. What I also suggest is to make item lists manageable to the point where no scrolling is needed. Thats a best case scenario and probably what we should strive for at first. That is, To organize each article or accessory to fit under its particular item compartment heading so that the player doesn't need to check one long list to see whether or not they have a potion, or a hauberk, or whatever.....

I happen to be working with the code in question at this precise moment. An inventory object will only be visible in battle mode under the following conditions:

1) It is an item (no weapons, armor, shards, etc. are displayed)
2) There is at least one instance of the item in the inventory
3) Its properties are set to indicate that it is usable in battle

This will make our inventory list in battle very short and sweet. I don't think any further changes to this algorithm are necessary. :approve:
ChopperDave
Developer

Postby ChopperDave » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:45 pm

All of the above is already being done.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:42 pm

I'm working on the battle victory/defeat screen right now and need some direction here. Here's what I have so far:

- Make a menu window approximately 512x400 on the screen for either case
- Position the menu window over the enemy sprite area (so we can still see the characters)

IF victory
- Screen #1: First report all XP earned and character stats growth
- Screen #2: If any characters have gained a level, report it and any new skills that they have learned
- Screen #3: Report all drunes earned and any items found

IF defeat
- Screen #1: Report defeat message and give the player a number of options: restart battle, load from last save point, return to main menu, or exit game

Thoughts?
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Postby EmreBFG » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:11 pm

The victory screens and their order look good.

I'm not sure about including "return to main menu" and "exit game" on the defeat screen. First, we should encourage the player to keep playing rather than give them an easy way out. If they'd like to quit after returning to their last save point, that's fine. Second, returning to the main menu would only be for two reasons - load save point or exit. So I think it might be redundant even if we did include the "exit game" option.

And, if anything, a frustrated player might just Alt-F4 like I do sometimes after dying ;)
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:12 pm

The only I can think of for the victory screen would be:

#4 - Show if any quests have been completed as a result of killing this monster/boss.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:00 pm

I'm going to change the scheme slightly so new levels and skills are shown in the first screen and character growth shown in the second screen. The reason is that its easier (in the code) and also will make a bit more sense. I'm thinking of showing the XP earned and each character's XP remaining. The XP remaining will count down to zero and likewise the remaining XPs will count down with it.

One problem I thought of is what to do when there are more than four characters that took place in the battle. Right now I'm designing the victory window to pretty much work with no more than four characters. Well, I guess its a long ways off from when we'll actually have more than four characters, so I won't worry about it until the time comes. :)

Return to “Design”