A few bugs to report. [nevermind]

For those having trouble installing/running the game or to report a bug

Moderator: Staff

Winter Knight
Contributor
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:35 pm
Contact:

A few bugs to report. [nevermind]

Postby Winter Knight » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:13 pm

Current svn version (1022) fails to properly install on linux. It installs the directories dat, mus, snd, and img into $PREFIX/share, but the binary expects to find them in $PREFIX/share/allacrost. As a result, installing, and then running allacrost, you get a message about not being able to find "armor.lua", and it aborts. The work-around is to manually place these files into the appropriate directory.

Also, a less serious bug. Running "./allacrost" from the source directory results in a segfault.

After properly installing allacrost, and after moving dat, etc, into the appropriate directory, I can run allacrost from anywhere on the system, except the demo directory. Running from this directory results in an abort (can't find armor.lua). Weird. I guess you guys were experimenting with getting allacrost to run without installing (which is good. 1 less step to test new code), but haven't quite got it to work yet.

In case my explanations were not clear, here is an excerpt of the errors that I have encountered. Remember, this is after installing allacrost and then moving the data directories to where they should go.

Code: Select all

wk@ALPHA:~/svn/allacrost/demo$ ./allacrost
Segmentation fault
wk@ALPHA:~/svn/allacrost/demo$ allacrost
cannot read dat/objects/armor.lua: No such file or directory
SCRIPT ERROR: Could not load file dat/objects/armor.lua for reading.
ERROR: unable to initialize GlobalManager
ERROR: failed to initialize game engine, exiting...
SCRIPT WARNING: Tried to close an output file when nothing was open
SCRIPT WARNING: Tried to close an output file when nothing was open
wk@ALPHA:~/svn/allacrost/demo$ cd src
wk@ALPHA:~/svn/allacrost/demo/src$ allacrost (works just fine)
wk@ALPHA:~/svn/allacrost/demo$ cd ~
wk@ALPHA:~$ allacrost (works fine here too)
Last edited by Winter Knight on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winter Knight
Contributor
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Winter Knight » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:19 pm

Now it's acting funky. It segfaults every time, regardless of where I call it from. I'll get back to you.
User avatar
Roots
Dictator
Posts: 8664
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby Roots » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:02 am

Winter Knight wrote:Now it's acting funky. It segfaults every time, regardless of where I call it from. I'll get back to you.



I always execute allacrost from the directory where the executable is located (i.e. allacrost/demo). I'm not sure that the make install target is functional right now. But those errors you are getting are definitely because its looking in the wrong relative path for those files, and since they aren't located in that path it thinks the file is not there and aborts.
Image
Winter Knight
Contributor
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Winter Knight » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:23 am

At the time I posted the above report, my shell was accessing the wrong allacrost. I would type "allacrost", and assume that I was running the one in /usr/local/bin. Typing "where allacrost" gave me the response "/usr/local/bin/allacrost". It turns out that it was actually running /usr/games/allacrost (latest allacrost debian binary release). I exited the terminal and re-ran "allacrost", and it segfaulted.

I started a new thread, because most of the information I posted in this thread was not right. Half of what I said above was because of my error. The other half was because allacrost (or luabind) had a genuine problem.

In hindsight, I should have just edited this thread, with the correct information. Oh well.
User avatar
gorzuate
Developer
Posts: 2575
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:03 am
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: A few bugs to report. [nevermind]

Postby gorzuate » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:42 am

Winter Knight wrote:Current svn version (1022) fails to properly install on linux. It installs the directories dat, mus, snd, and img into $PREFIX/share, but the binary expects to find them in $PREFIX/share/allacrost. As a result, installing, and then running allacrost, you get a message about not being able to find "armor.lua", and it aborts. The work-around is to manually place these files into the appropriate directory.


Well, so I modified the Makefile so now it installs the directories dat, mus, snd, and img into $PREFIX/share/allacrost, and the binary seems to run fine, but I'm not sure if that's the proper way of fixing it, or if there's some sort of *nix standard that I should be adhering to when it comes to installing this stuff. :shrug:
Image
Winter Knight
Contributor
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:35 pm
Contact:

Postby Winter Knight » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:32 pm

Good job, gorzuate. I noticed that Makefile.am was updated when I updated svn. Haven't tested it yet, though. That is the correct directory, according to *nix standard. The proper place to install platform independent support files to is $PREFIX/share/allacrost. Although a better place might be $PREFIX/share/games/allacrost.

Return to “Technical Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest