pure virtual method called

For those having trouble installing/running the game or to report a bug

Moderator: Staff

rujasu
Developer

pure virtual method called

Post by rujasu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:59 am

Anyone who is getting the "pure virtual method called" message when Hero of Allacrost quits, please post about it here.

To the best of my knowledge, this is a problem largely limited to Linux/KDE users, specifically with the "aRts" sound system. It doesn't seem to cause any major problems concerning the actual game, and it can be averted by turning off aRts. The problem is with OpenAL, so we probably can't do anything about it on our end. Furthermore, aRts will not be used in KDE 4, so this problem will hopefully cease to exist in the near future.

That said, please post if you are getting this message, particularly if you are NOT using the aRts sound system.
Roots
Dictator

Re: pure virtual method called

Post by Roots » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:04 am

WTF? It should be impossible to call a pure virtual method.....shouldn't it?
rujasu
Developer

Re: pure virtual method called

Post by rujasu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:50 am

Roots wrote:WTF? It should be impossible to call a pure virtual method.....shouldn't it?

Well, I'm guessing that's why there's an error message. ;)

Seriously, it's a problem that has apparently been around with OpenAL for a while now:

http://opensource.creative.com/pipermai ... 07346.html

Basically, aRts sucks, and crap like this is why it's going away. I had aRts running on my computer because I like other aspects of KDE, but I removed aRts altogether just recently and everything is working properly now.