What the heck? Triple bug report

For those having trouble installing/running the game or to report a bug

Moderator: Staff

Psiweapon

What the heck? Triple bug report

Post by Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:28 am

Trying game. Looks awesome.

Problems are:

Fighting a bat and some sort of slime, they both display in gray, but the battle never ends.

During the platoon-walking-right intro, I alt-tabbed to write this, and I think I breaked it.

And another one:

Battle mode, the game puts me against a snake, a scorpion, a spider, a bat, a skeleton and a slime.
They're all dead, except the slime... and I can't target it anymore.
Roots
Dictator

Re: What the heck? Triple bug report

Post by Roots » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Hmm, all new issues to me. I'll look into seeing if I can reproduce the alt-tab issue, but the slime targeting issue I'll need more information.

When you can no longer target the slime, what happens? I mean if you go to select an action on a character and then a target, does the select target screen just display nothing? I've never seen this particular issue before and I've fought more battles than I care to count. :heh: Does the problem happen if you go to "Battle" from the main boot menu and fight there?
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:34 am

Psiweapon wrote:Fighting a bat and some sort of slime, they both display in gray, but the battle never ends.

Can you reproduce this issue? Does this happen several time (i.e. is there a good chance of seeing this bug after - lets say - 5 fights or so).
Psiweapon wrote:Battle mode, the game puts me against a snake, a scorpion, a spider, a bat, a skeleton and a slime.
They're all dead, except the slime... and I can't target it anymore.

Same. I guess, this is the battle right from the main menu, not inside the game. Does that happen more than once? If yes, maybe you can try to decrease the number of opponents for that fight (in dat/config/boot.lua -> function BootBattleTest()) and than to reproduce this issue. If the is possible, you can give some short explanation how to see this issue.
Psiweapon

Post by Psiweapon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Ok I'm going to try and see if I run into the same problems.
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Cool, good luck.

The lines

Code: Select all

local battle = hoa_battle.BattleMode();
   battle:AddEnemy(1);
   battle:AddEnemy(2);
   battle:AddEnemy(3);
   battle:AddEnemy(4);
   battle:AddEnemy(5);
   battle:AddEnemy(6);

obviously define your enemies in the sample battle.
Psiweapon

Post by Psiweapon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Ok I've fought a couple of battles in battle mode and another couple in story mode, and haven't run into the same bug. Perhaps it's my laptop's fault?

But I *have* found another bug, when meeting the other soldiers again before fighting the giant scorpion.

I was running around evading monsters, and when the dialogue popped out, it blocked the controls *without* stopping the character, so he kept running until reaching a wall. Happened twice.
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:06 pm

That is what I feared. I don't believe it is a problem of your system cause I know from some other topics and also from talks to Roots, that there are some issues in the battle system that occure sometimes but not often.

For the new bug, can you exactly describe how to reproduce this bug?
Psiweapon

Post by Psiweapon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:52 pm

I think I can:

Make sure that when you meet the soldiers at the underground river, you are moving around running. You must be running when the dialogue box pops out - the captain giving you some order?, and the character will become locked running in whatever direction he was doing so, until collision.
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Okay, same for me. I guess something is missing in the scripts for this event. I will have a look later (or maybe someone else will).

Thanks for reporting this bug. :approve:
shirish

Post by shirish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Psiweapon wrote:Trying game. Looks awesome.

Problems are:

Fighting a bat and some sort of slime, they both display in gray, but the battle never ends.

<snipped>

Have run into this one, couple of times, no idea about reproducibility though, its erratic is all I can say.
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Always with this both types of enemy or in any combination?
shirish

Post by shirish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:38 pm

so far with this combination only, will be playing quite a bit to see if it happens with others as well. As of now only with this combo. The caveat though is its erratic, DOES NOT happen everytime.
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Psiweapon wrote:Make sure that when you meet the soldiers at the underground river, you are moving around running. You must be running when the dialogue box pops out - the captain giving you some order?, and the character will become locked running in whatever direction he was doing so, until collision.

Thanks for reporting this, it also happens for other events like discovering the corps and not only when running but also when walking.

When I remember correctly this was not happening when I tried it last time (i.e. two weeks ago), so the bug should be easy to find.
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:33 am

I added some functions to the events in the map, now the problem should not occure anymore (at least for this both events). I also tested all remaining events, they look good also.

Does there still some events exist, where movement is not stopped?
nemesis

Post by nemesis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:46 pm

Another thing probably connected to the alt-tab problem.

When moving the window (while not in fullscreen) during a cutscene (best option is the introduction in the desert), everything (except for me on Windows) is screwed up. This means, the other karlates stop moving or change direction, Claudius doesn't stop but also may change the direction (maybe due to blocking sprites of the other) is or completely block, so the animation is still shown but without any movement because other Karlates are standing around.

I don't know exactly if this may be caused by some global coordinate system (screens x and y and not window x and y) used. I can have a look later, but maybe some who has more knowledge about the video engine has a clue.