My Game Artwork

Share your own game ideas, inform the community about your own works in progress, or appraise of other yet-to-be released games.

Moderator: Staff

Aldo

My Game Artwork

Post by Aldo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:50 am

Hi, I was going through the net for final fantasy kind of spritesheets because i need to make something similar, and i found the character spritesheet of this game.
And i was amazed.
Exactly what i needed.
But i won't take it.
I just wanted to know if any of you (talking mainly to the sprite gfx artists of the game) could design or help me design sprites for my flash game.
Now i know you may think its probably a useless one but know.
It has a really good storyline(awesome for a flash game) and a few people already working on its story .
I need someone to help me with the graphics, I am the Lead Director/Creator and Programmer.

The Sprites i need to make are somewhat similar to yours.
So if you could PLEASE help me out or be a part of my game, I'd be REALLY grateful!
And also, if the game is a success (which im sure it will be, as ive read the storyline to many and it appeals immensely to them) , we will have 2 sequels for which we already have the plots/stories ready.

So please guys,
do help!
You can email me at adarsh111@hotmail.com or reply to this post (i'd prefer email )

Thanks,
~Aldo
Roots
Dictator

Re: My Game Artwork

Post by Roots » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:05 pm

Aldo wrote:I just wanted to know if any of you (talking mainly to the sprite gfx artists of the game) could design or help me design sprites for my flash game.
Over my dead body. Look, it sounds like you are new to game development so let me inform you that artists, especially talented and committed artists, are one a million. We are extremely fortunate to have both of the artists that we do. There is no way you should contact another unfinished project and expect to "borrow" members from their team. It hurts the project that you are borrowing from, and is generally considered rude to do so.

I suggest that you find some game development or artwork sites to try to find artists from, and do the hard work of recruiting them like we had to do. Good luck
Winter Knight
Contributor

Post by Winter Knight » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:22 pm

Aldo wrote:Hi, I was going through the net for final fantasy kind of spritesheets because i need to make something similar, and i found the character spritesheet of this game.
And i was amazed.
Exactly what i needed.
But i won't take it.
You can. Allacrost, and it's graphics and sound, are released under the GNU GPLv2. As long as you honor the GPL's obligations, you can use them. Mentioning Allacrost in the credits would be nice too.
Aldo

Post by Aldo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:56 pm

Uh, No i am not new to game development. Just that I never had to recruit members for a team for any of my previous projects.

And yeah thanks anyways,
Just a quick question though, where did you manage to find (or initially looked for) for your members?
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:09 am

Aldo wrote:Uh, No i am not new to game development.
I'm sure you've made a few flash games before, but you're either very obviously new to "large-scale" game development, or you've never learned from your previous experiences. Making a FF-like game is a huge undertaking (unless you're either building it from a kit program like RPGMaker, and/or are "acquiring" all the art resources without creating them yourself - like most RPGMaker projects end up doing.) You don't just "make a FF-like RPG". It's not something you just do on a whim with your friends and finish in a few weeks/months. It's a MASSIVE, herculean undertaking - it's like writing a master's thesis, or going to college. Even for the guys at squaresoft, their titles usually took them about 2 years, to finish. They had a huge team, lots of money, and wicked-good artists at their disposal. For a small team with only one or two artists, it could take twice as long (or even much more - if you're a small enough team, you might be working on something too big to ever finish in your lifetime!). It's a kind of game that has very deep art+content requirements, and takes a lot longer to finish than other kinds of games. Because it's such a hard kind of game to make, it's dangerous to try - you could spend years of your life, and have nothing to show for it.

You're obviously new to this because you're not "bringing anything to the table". You haven't linked us to any of your existing games. You haven't shown us a work in progress of this game. Nothing. Shit, you haven't even shown us your supposedly "great story" - which I might add, is a very weak draw, because hell - I've got half a dozen great ideas I'd love to make into games, if I had the time. Everyone creative does - it's not unique or special.

Advice:
You need to entice people with something unique and special - and the two things that qualify are either a totally finished set of code, or a large set of good, original art (music also can count for this). If you're going up to an artist, and you're asking them to work on your game - you yourself have to be in A-game, ass-kicking form already. Have the game already working with placeholders. Or as unthinkable as it might be, learn to draw and do some of the art yourself. I did - I was in exactly the same situation you were in, and I solved it the hard way, even though I didn't think I had talent as an artist. Get a friend who can draw for you. I was attracted to allacrost because they already had a good artist working on it, and that can work for you, too - you make some decent art, and you can attract someone else to make more.

But going up to an established team, and asking for their artists to just bail, and start working for you instead? It's not just really bad odds for you, it's rude to us. It's saying that our game isn't worth working on - that's insulting. That's about as whacked as going up to some married woman, and being like "Hey, baby. I know you've got this nice house, and you've got this chiseled, stud of a husband, and you've got two kids and all, but hey, girl - you want to ride with me? I mean, I got no job, no house, nothing but the shirt on my back, but hey, I'm cool, girl. Let's roll." Uh ... good luck. :heh:

The best place to look is on spriting or pixel art forums where you can find artists who are not already working on a game. It's like looking for women - your best bet is to look for the ones who are not already taken. Another good site is DeviantArt.
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:05 pm

I second the comments of my buds here and will just say this (since they've already mentioned everything of value). Our artists are pretty stretched as is.
Also, it is a bit rude to come to a project and ask for artists when the resources aren't plentiful to begin with.

Go to a place where the artists flow like salmon in alaska during late July. It is much easier to catch something if the population is more plentiful. You may not find any kings at first at first, but you're bound to get lucky at some point if you are persistent.

Good luck
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Viliam
Contributor

Post by Viliam » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:09 am

The best invitation to cooperate is doing your part first. That means, if you are a programmer looking for good graphics, you should first write the (demo version of) program using some temporary graphics. This way artists can estimate if this project is interesting enough for them; and they have some kind of guarantee it will ever get finished (it really sucks to put your time into project which later fails because someone else has not done their part; if it happens to you once, you will carefully avoid it for the rest of your life).

And if you write your code first, you do not need to hunt artists in other games' projects. Just publish the demo version (with temporary graphics) on internet, and put there a message "if you are artist and would like to contribute to this game, send me an e-mail".