Project Offset

Share your own game ideas, inform the community about your own works in progress, or appraise of other yet-to-be released games.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Project Offset

Post by Roots » Sat May 13, 2006 7:47 pm

http://www.projectoffset.com/

I just heard about this today, but it seems like many others have already heard of it. Looks pretty amazing and if I was 10 years younger, I would have peed my pants by now because this kind of game is right up my alley (as a player). I can imagine that the system requirements for this are going to be absolutely huge though (since they are targeting next-gen hardware). Interesting nonetheless. :)
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Sat May 13, 2006 9:36 pm

:( Seeing stuff like that just makes me feel sick.

There goes several of my "unique coding ideas" I planned to put in action. I still have a few aces up my sleeve, but dammit, I need to get them in gear before this stuff stops being amazing, and starts being commonplace.

I mean - the problem is that some of this stuff is just obvious - I've personally been baffled as to why the industry even made graphics cards in the first place, and didn't instead just work on ways to accelerate ray tracing. Because - that's what they're converging to - eventually, full-screen-raytracing (with radiosity) will be what games get made in. Not to mention that, a thumbnail-sized, blown-up-to-fullscreen real-time-raytrace would have looked better than a full-screen of quake 1 any day of the week. Because the lighting would be correct.

My (general) idea is to just do that stuff before it's technically feasible - before anyone else has done it (hint - this is what id and bungie did with their 3d games, and that's why they're famous. They didn't work any harder than the guys who did the exact same thing 2 years later, they just had the balls to do it when people said it couldn't be done).

:| This summer is go-time, dammit - I'm out of college, and now I need to do something that matters. Roots - if I don't make my own (simple, arcade) videogame from scratch, by the end of this summer, you have my permission to come to my house and kick my ass.
Ranger M

Post by Ranger M » Sun May 14, 2006 4:05 am

Jetryl wrote::| This summer is go-time, dammit - I'm out of college, and now I need to do something that matters. Roots - if I don't make my own (simple, arcade) videogame from scratch, by the end of this summer, you have my permission to come to my house and kick my ass.

Hey, tell us when you start, I'm interest to know what your gameplay ideas that you keep on mentioning are. That, and I'm a sucker for good graphics in games, and your ideas include that too.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Sun May 14, 2006 5:22 am

Ranger M wrote:
Jetryl wrote::| This summer is go-time, dammit - I'm out of college, and now I need to do something that matters. Roots - if I don't make my own (simple, arcade) videogame from scratch, by the end of this summer, you have my permission to come to my house and kick my ass.

Hey, tell us when you start, I'm interest to know what your gameplay ideas that you keep on mentioning are. That, and I'm a sucker for good graphics in games, and your ideas include that too.

It's not going to be what you expect. It's based on a pun, but I'm actually not sure if anyone's ever done this one before. Anyways, I don't want to spoil any secrets, but the one thing worthy of note is that the game will be OS-X only, because I don't want to not program in Cocoa. If apple releases Dharma (cocoa for windows, which would actually be a really good idea for them), then it would, but otherwise, no.

Amongst other things, the point of this will NOT be to break any ground in gameplay or graphics, or anything, rather just to prove to myself that I can, in fact, code a videogame from start to finish that's not written in hypercard. I mean - I've had several failed videogames already - games that "collapsed under a mountain of complexity" (as dave described his first few attempts. This next one I will keep simple.

Dave wrote wesnoth for the same reason, but then he let things get out of hand. I'll only do that when I intend to - I'll definitely make the game free, and probably give away the source (MIT license), but when I'm done, I'm washing my hands of it, because I've already learned all the "managing a huge OSS game" crap that dave did from the same place dave did - wesnoth - and I don't need to learn it again.