Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Nintendo pounds Sony and MS in sales

Got something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? It goes here

Moderator: Staff

Jetryl
Artist

Nintendo pounds Sony and MS in sales

Post by Jetryl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:22 pm

http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/489- ... s-in-sales

Fascinating. I'm bummed to see sony get whopped, but very not-bummed to see microsoft hemorrhage cash.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:27 pm

Why are you bummed to see Sony get what was coming to them? That's what happens when your execs continue to act like conceded assholes and make empty promises over and over. And as for MS....yeah I'll always hate them.

And note that Nintendo's market value exceeds not just Sony's game division, but ALL of Sony (TVs, electronics, music, the whole deal). :) I'm still waiting to get my hands on a Wii, but I still haven't been to a store when they had any in stock (I hear the tip is to check every morning because any units that they get in are gone by the early afternoon).
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:32 am

Roots wrote:Why are you bummed to see Sony get what was coming to them? That's what happens when your execs continue to act like conceited assholes and make empty promises over and over.
Well, the console division of the company isn't dropping the ball. The PS3 isn't a broken promise. It's the best console hardware you can get, but it's expensive - it costs enough than even at $600, sony cuts a loss on it. It's expensive, yeah, but we all knew it was gonna be expensive. You get what you pay for; the graphics on a PS3 are like what prerendered cutscenes on a PS2 looked like - a PS3 can make the visual quality of the Final Fantasy movies interactive. They're better than the Xbox 360, and better than the Wii.

The lesson nintendo is teaching us is that visual quality is apparently less valuable than a massively innovative controller scheme that makes games much more fun (coupled with an incremental improvement in graphics, and a cheap price on the console). A major riddle is - how would the wii have fared if it cost $400 per unit? We may never know.

All that said, sony has done a few seriously dickheaded things before, such as the invention of the memory stick, UMDs, and other sony-proprietary things. I'd rag on the MiniDisc, but Magneto-Optical media is so insanely superior to most other kinds of computer media that the entire rest of the industry deserves to be bitch slapped for not standardizing on it instead of CDs. Sony has likewise, in it's content department (e.g. record-label part), been a completely asshole, and totally deserves to get screwed, there.