Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

GDC 2008

Got something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? It goes here

Moderator: Staff

ChopperDave
Developer

GDC 2008

Post by ChopperDave » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:47 pm

http://www.gdconf.com/

I'm thinking of going, but probably only for Wed - Fri. Anyone else going?
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:46 pm

*looks at pass prices*

No. :angel:
ChopperDave
Developer

Post by ChopperDave » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:06 pm

That's what you get for not having a job until the last minute you hobo. :heh:
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Hey I can afford to go easily. Its just that I don't want to spend that much money on a plane ticket + hotel + rental car + 5-day pass + use 3 of my vacation days for this. Besides, I'm happy in my own little gaming world and don't find much interest in hearing about people's post-mortem MMO experiences. Although I am interested in hearing Kurzweil's lecture (I have one of his books).
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:12 pm

What Roots said.

Plus, I don't have a lot I could learn; learning being in large part preparedness to understand things you see, and also capacity to experiment with things you're trying to learn - I've already got my hands full there. Also, I'm not really at a point where I need to network; knowing more developers isn't useful for me right now, unless they're helping me complete my projects.

And besides, I don't think I want to work in the classic, large-scale commercial videogame industry unless I'm working on some sort of tool program that everyone could use (like an OSS 3d rendering program), or I'm the creative director for a title. It wouldn't be fulfilling for me - unless I'm creatively authoring something myself, I'd rather make more utilitarian software. So, networking with people in order to secure a future job would be ... silly.