Hi!

Got something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? It goes here

Moderator: Staff

8bit

Hi!

Postby 8bit » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:27 pm

Just wanted to say hi and hope I can help out in any artistic way I can. Bitmap, little bit of animation or basic 3d models, I'll give anything a go.
Jetryl
Artist

Re: Hi!

Postby Jetryl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:23 am

One thing you could do, would be to provide some additional tiles for this (currently very unfinished) tileset:

There are no tiles for this tileset finished other than what you see here; it should be obvious from looking at it which ones aren't done. I'm going to refrain from spoon-feeding a list of requirements to you, because your ability to figure that out on your own is a good indication of whether you're actually going to be able to help us out over the long run. What you need to make, is the answer to the question "What other tiles would I need, in order to produce an RPG-scene from this?" The scene being depicted is a castle interior, just to be clear, and we're doing "pure pixel art" - you're free to create more colors in the palette, just keep the color-count reasonably low.

Go ahead and post anything you've made, here in this thread. :approve: Good luck, and thanks in advance.
8bit

Postby 8bit » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Ive never actually made a 'tile' before but Im up for the challenge. What size should they be and what kind of objects do you want?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:30 pm

All Allacrost tiles are 32x32 pixels. Objects are up to you. Read the story for the game on the website (the prologue specifically) and then using that as a base, put your imagination to work. :)
8bit

Postby 8bit » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:36 pm

I got a few ideas and would like to get started on them but I need a someone to send me a section of floor tiles so I can draw things on top of them. I was thinking of broken pottery, empty chests, skull and bones of previous adventurers etc. If some could PM me I will give you my email address to send them to. :)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:11 am

8bit wrote:I got a few ideas and would like to get started on them but I need a someone to send me a section of floor tiles so I can draw things on top of them. I was thinking of broken pottery, empty chests, skull and bones of previous adventurers etc. If some could PM me I will give you my email address to send them to. :)

No need. Our game has several "layers" of tiles so you can take the same floor tile, for instance, and then draw whatever objects on top of them you would like. You don't have to create a separate image for each tile with an artifact on it. The advantage of this is we can re-use your broken pots and such across any kind of floor tile that we want. Just fill the background with transparency in your tiles so that the floor can be shown underneath when we use it in the game.

For some floor tiles go here: http://allacrost.svn.sourceforge.net/vi ... /tilesets/ (click on the tileset name, then click "view" on the next page).
8bit

Postby 8bit » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:12 pm

had a quick attempt at a vase like object. Is there anyway you could place it on the tiles so I can see if the lighting,shade,general look is right?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:05 am

8bit wrote:had a quick attempt at a vase like object. Is there anyway you could place it on the tiles so I can see if the lighting,shade,general look is right?

Just open up one of the tileset images I pointed you to in your image editor (GIMP, Photoshop, whatever as long as it supports multiple layers, PNG, and transparency) and plop it down yourself. Put the tileset in one layer and the vase in another layer, and surround the vase with transparency. It will look the same in your image editor as it would in the game.
8bit

Postby 8bit » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:42 pm

Here is just a few things Im working on at the moment. Any comments/ advice would be welcome.

Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:40 am

Make large, wide specular highlights, on things like that vase. Also, the shading in general on it is a little nonsensical - it's placement on the object isn't right, and it needs to cross a much larger range of "luminosities".

Also, if that "grate" is meant to be a floor tile, remember that the floors in games like this are at an isometric/orthogonal perspective, so the tile is going to be at least 2/3 as tall as it is wide. If that's a wall tile, that's perfectly shaped though.
8bit

Postby 8bit » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks for the advice, I'll bare that in mind. :)

When you say the colouring is alittle nonsensical do you mean it needs to be stronger, more defined?
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:07 pm

8bit wrote:Thanks for the advice, I'll bare that in mind. :)

When you say the colouring is alittle nonsensical do you mean it needs to be stronger, more defined?

Shading.

When I say nonsensical, I mean that it doesn't follow physical laws. Shading isn't "art voodoo", it's not something you just make up. Shading is actually more or less pure math, and the way it works is exactly like what drives a 3-d rendering program. There are hard, "scientific law" rules - these determine what looks good and what doesn't (there's a little fudge room, but the general gist of things has to be followed). If you follow this, your drawing magically "projects" and feels like a picture of a real thing - it taps into our instincts and the shading suggests the shape of a 3d object. If you don't follow the rules, it looks ... weird, and doesn't feel 3d.

Right now, it's breaking the rules, and looks strange as a result.

An object like this will have shading similar to a "sphere", and you can look up hundreds of drawing tutorials on how to shade a sphere under various lighting conditions.
8bit

Postby 8bit » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:46 pm

Added broken column and some rubble. I think I'll give up on the pot, its giving me a headache! ;)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/blazer-glory/Pot-1.jpg
8bit

Postby 8bit » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:08 pm

I thought this project had died as I hadnt heard anything from anyone for ages! :)

If you still need stuff let me know

Return to “General Chat”