"Hi, my name is..." (Introduce yourself here!)

Got something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? It goes here

Moderator: Staff

Cloud

Re: "Hi, my name is..." (Introduce yourself here!)

Postby Cloud » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi folks, someone under the name 'rujasu' posted on the BfW forums asking for more people to come over and help. I'll probably be lurking about for a little while getting to know the project a bit better.

I've done some sprite work from BfW (attack animations), though I'm a little inconsistant at getting stuff done over there in that department. I'm also a first year Computer Science student at Aberystwyth University, so I'd like to try and get into the programming area, right now I know the basics of Java (i.e. I can make things which run from the command line), in my spare time I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of C, but I know you're also looking for people with Lua skills, which I could have a stab at (for the record I've also worked on websites, so I do have HTML, JavaScript and a little PhP knowledge).

That's me in a nutshell, if you want to ask more feel free to PM me or similar.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Nice to have you Cloud. If you want to level up (pun intended) your programming skills, our code is really well designed and documented and I think its a great learning resource.

http://allacrost.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... umentation

Any help you could give in art or code (especially in art) would be greatly appreciated. The "word on the street" is that a new internal release is coming soon (you'll receive an e-mail about it via the forums when it happens), so maybe you can check that out and get a feel for where we are and what holes are still missing.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:10 am

Hi Cloud, nice to see you here.

Probably the best thing you could do for allacrost would be animating more monsters. Right now, allacrost has two mostly mismatched sets of images:
- a small set of large still images drawn by ex-contributors
- a small set of animated images by neoriceisgood (taken from www.themanaworld.org), drawn in the N + S + E/W configuration.

I don't think the former is really do-able by anything but extremely skilled contributors; I think it was a real fluke that Safir-Kreuz was able to do those, and I don't think allacrost will ever be able to get anyone who can finish those off. What I think would most benefit allacrost would be to have new monsters done in the NW/NE + SW/SE configuration, because it functionally gives you 4 directions with only 2 directions of actual work, and angled views inherently look better than direct side-on/head-on views like we've got now. Also, as SD3 proved, it's fine to mix those with N + S + E/W.

The rough size you should shoot for is similar to wesnoth's wolves, or perhaps the midsize monsters in FF6: http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/ff6/sheet/6797

The necessary animations for each are, for each of the two directions:
- one stand/breath cycle
- one walk cycle
- one attack animation

Making smaller, animated versions of Safir's creature designs would be a good idea, most of his designs fit the genre very well.
TheCommunistDuck

Postby TheCommunistDuck » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey, I'm Mark, TCD, TheCommieDuck, etc. etc.

I'm a full time student, and I do some C++/OpenGL stuff for fun. I want to get into the induustry in the future. I spend my free time when not "coding" (I say that with quotes because the things I make are generally pretty random.) listening to music, playing games, and some other stuff.

That's about it. I'm getting the SVN stuff for HoA set up, and trying to get it to build in VS2008 so I can start on that character animation when dialogue/chests open you mentioned.

And hey everyone again. :D
-TCD
blDraX

Postby blDraX » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Hey hey,

my name is Oli aka blDraX and will try to contribute to the project as a programmer (at least as soon as I can finally get this thing to compile). :)
I'm currently a student of information technology in the second semester.

Since I am from Germany, I'll also gladly help out with the German translation.
nemesis

Postby nemesis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:33 am

Nice to have another german guy here. :)
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Good day folks,

My name is Diego and I'm a 34 year old Nurse who enjoys amateur sprite work and environment tiles. I work full time, but, I love spending my off time drawing sprite art (and am currently learning Unity).

I am part of a few other projects, mostly as game designer and environment artist, but those projects have slowed down a bit and I am not getting enough art work on my plate to be happy.

The areas I am interested in working with are the following;

Maps, Tiles - This is what I am most comfortable doing. This includes anything from dirt to furniture to items.
Sprites - Specifically drawing objects on an established sprite. I do not like drawing character sheets form scratch, but I enjoy drawing all the weapons, clothing, items on the characters. So if you have a sheet of the hero already done, but just need allthe diffferent frames of objects drawn on the hero, that's right up my alley.
Enemies - I love drawing monsters and animating them.
Battle Sprites - I would love to do these as well.
Creatures - Sure, why not!
Icons, Actors - Simple enough!
Effects - Sure, why not some more!

Don't know what else to say really. I guess I can wait for whatever simple test task to be given to me to get done to see if I fit in :)

My Skype name is BuffoTheArtClown. I know you guys use IRC, but I don't. I can, but at the moment I don't. Skype is the best way to communicate with me. If you want me to install IRC, I can do that.

Peace.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi Diego, glad to have you here. Don't worry about not using IRC. Most people on the team don't, and all the really important discussions get added to the forums anyway. I'm going to create a separate thread in the artwork forum for us to discuss where we can use you. I'll add the link to this post after I'm done writing it.

Out of curiosity, what other projects have you/are you working on? I enjoy taking a look at other projects that artists on our team have done.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Not much, because they typically end. I am one currently that is slowing down, and I am not getting enough work to do as people are taking a break.

These are very old videos of the project I am currently working on, Leaivaonline. The game has gone through different iterations and is always changing, which is annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LeaivaOnline/videos

It's a 2D mmorpg which focuses on pvp and crafting.

I was out of the project for a few years as it died down, but earlier this year it go steam again. In the past 3 months I have drawn and redrawn hundreds of environment sheets for the game. I jsut started doing items on paper dolls, but now the project is on vacation.

I will send you an email with some samples of the game's artwork.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Actually, here is a bunch of pics of random art assets for the game. I don't have any sheets uploaded for obvious reasons.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/Buffo ... t=3&page=1

This was much easier than emailing :)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Looks awesome. I understand your frustration with projects going on vacation or straight up dying. Our project has had its share of time where it was on hiatus. In the early years we had some significant fluctuations with our artwork standards/requirements as well. I think that's natural for any project that's just getting off the ground.
ylak

Postby ylak » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Hello ! I'm Yannick from France, 27. I'm having some free time for about 2 months from now and will be glad to give some help in this project. I'm also looking for some experience in indie game industry.
I would be happy to contribute in map design, i've no experience in it but it's the kind of stuff i really would like to try.
I can also work as graphic artist in sprite/FX/ etc.

Let me know if you have some task that need to be filled so that i can give it a try.

Regards,
Ylak
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi Yannick. Right now our map editor is undergoing some major re-work and it won't be available to use for another few weeks. For now, the best thing for you to do is to learn the information you'll need to know to work as a designer. Take a look at this wiki page and the links on it:

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php ... igner_Main
(Many of the pages linked from this page are just stubs and need to be filled out.)

Here's a forum thread where we list all the maps we're creating for our next release and sharing design drafts and ideas:
viewtopic.php?p=46202#p46202

If you want to start contributing right away, working on art is the best way to do so until we're ready to start tackling our maps again. What type of experience do you have in creating pixel art? There's a thread here for new artists to post in so we can help you find something to work on:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18943

As you can see, another new artist who joined us recently has been working on a number of different things. If you'd like to get started on art, post there with what types of art you're most interested in creating and we can find you something.

This page lists all the various kinds of artwork we use in the game, along with examples and explanations:
http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php ... Categories

Finally, you should look through our Roadmap to understand what it is that needs to be done, both in terms of artwork and map design. The information on this page is up-to-date. Let me know if you have any questions or need further guidance. I'm travelling this week so it may take me a little while to see and respond to anything you post. Thanks! :)
rivaxel

Postby rivaxel » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:44 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Uğur and I'am an undergrad Computer Science student with experience in C++ and several other languages. I've just discovered the Hero of Allacrost via Sourceforge. As it sounds very interesting, I would like to contribute, if I could be of any help.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:22 am

Hi. We've actually moved our code to BitBucket in the last month (but the sourceforge page is still there for historical reasons). See: https://bitbucket.org/allacrost/allacrost

If you'd like to help out (I'm assuming as a developer?), this wiki page can help you get started. It's slightly outdated as we don't use our old bug tracker or sourceforge anymore. Basically the first step is to create a fork of our bitbucket repository and get the game to compile. Complete that, and then I can give you pointers to where you can help out. :)
http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php ... ntributors
rivaxel

Postby rivaxel » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:12 am

Thanks. I've successfully forked and compiled the source code on Linux Mint. I think I am ready for a small task. :)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Sweet. I'm on Mint too. For starters, I was having an issue in the cave map recently where sounds wouldn't play sometimes and I wasn't sure why. There's a treasure chest in the cave where there's no sound played when you open it. See the video below (around the 6:40 mark).

I think I also left a comment in the script file about another issue where sound wasn't playing in one place. The file you want to look at is in lua/scripts/maps/a01_unblock_underground_river.lua. Hopefully the issue is an easy one to fix. If you find that it's not, don't hesitate to reach out to me and ask for something else. There's a lot of code and jumping right in can be overwhelming.

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php/Audio_Engine
There's some documentation on the audio engine which I believe is pretty up-to-date. Hopefully you won't have to dive into engine internals for this task.
rivaxel

Postby rivaxel » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:08 pm

All right, I'll take a look and let you know about the progress.
TyMcCray

Postby TyMcCray » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:34 am

I'm Ty McCray, and you can call me as Ty.

I was recommended to this project by Roots because of my skillset. I know much about game design and quality, which is because of my developmental experience and decade of actually playing video games.

I want to make this game good, and it's developers proud. I won't be overbearing, but there is much work to do and much to improve. If I can put in my two cents without hurting anybody's feelings, I will feel like I've done a good job.

Thank you for committing me to your group.
gorogorosama

Postby gorogorosama » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Greetings all!

I saw a very thorough post on Reddit, read all the way to the bottom, and here I am!

I've been in game-dev for about a decade now, mostly as a game designer / product manager. I can also hold my own in Photoshop and C++ should it come to that. I've always wanted to work on an RPG though, and this looks like an awesome project that I hope I can contribute to.

The post said you were looking for someone to do some balancing, map design, skill design, and a side-quest. If that's still the case, that's exactly the type of thing I'd like to zealously sink my teeth into!

I played through (I guess an old) demo, and am now downloading the latest from bitbucket.

Cheers!

Return to “General Chat”