"Hi, my name is..." (Introduce yourself here!)

Got something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? It goes here

Moderator: Staff

ChopperDave
Developer

Postby ChopperDave » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:41 am

Hey rujasu, and welcome to the forums!

though I have no experience working with anything like SDL or Lua

No worries. Neither do we. We're making this up as we go along. :heh:

We can always use more programmers on the project to help us make it better, so whenever you feel like coming on board, feel free to sign up!
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:47 am

Hi rujasu, thanks for the compliments. :) I am also a long-time RPG and somewhat-long-time OSS enthusiast. One of the reasons I started this project was because I felt the exact same way as you: there needs to be some decent single player RPGs for Linux. :angel:

If it makes you feel better, I had never used SDL and never even heard of Lua until I started working on Allacrost. :hack: The last two years have been a lot of learning for me, but I've come out a much, much better programmer because of it.

I'm glad you would like to help out. I have no idea if you would be interested, but our code documentation in the wiki needs a lot of updating. But if you'd rather code, that can be arranged as well. In any case, hope you'll stick around with us. :D
NoiseFloor

Postby NoiseFloor » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:52 am

Hey all, just found your site and was wondering if you needed any sound effects help? It looked as though most of your needs had people associated to them. Anyways, my company would love to help out if need be. We have over 70,000 sfx and over 40 years of experience. Just let us know what you need! thanks
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:09 am

rujasu wrote:Hey everyone...
Hey! Hows it goin? Its always nice to meet someone who appreciates Chrono Trigger. ;)

Welcome!

NoiseFloor wrote:Hey all, just found your site and was wondering if you needed any sound effects help? It looked as though most of your needs had people associated to them. Anyways, my company would love to help out if need be. We have over 70,000 sfx and over 40 years of experience. Just let us know what you need! thanks
Sounds pretty sweet Noisefloor! Do you have any samples of past work?

Welcome to the forums. :D
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

bludlust
Developer

Postby bludlust » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:06 am

Hey everyone,
My name is Steve Perva. I am a 20 year old Computer Science major from Illinois. I am a new member of the staff and hope to be able to bring my current programming knowledge and problem solving skills to the table as well as learn from all of the people I will be working with. I appreciate this chance to be on the team and help out on such a great project.

More personally, I like to read, write, watch movies, walk around, play video games, and sleep for large chunks of time. I'm easy-going and stupid-humor makes me laugh.

Nice to meet you all. Feel free to contact me about anything!
Steven Perva
AIM: KCGBLuDLuST
MSN: sperva@gmail.com
E-Mail: sperva@gmail.com
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:43 am

Welcome Steve!

bludlust wrote:stupid-humor makes me laugh.

Then you've come to the right place. :D
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:21 am

Hey Steve, glad to have you.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Carol
Contributor

Hi everyone

Postby Carol » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:16 am

My name is Carolina (or Carol for short), I'm a new contributor and Allacrost programmer. I'm 19, live in São Paulo, Brasil, and study Computer Engineering. I like programming (but I guess that's obvious,right?), game design, storytelling, reading (too) many books and martial arts =)
Well now that seems like a first day at school¬¬
Anyway, I'm glad to join this group!
" If you are failing to plan, then you are planning to fail. "
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:48 am

@NoiseFloor: hey, thanks for the kind offer. Unfortunately I don't think we can accept it unless you're willing to let us have those SFX for free and license them under the GPL (meaning that just about anyone out there will have the same rights to use them). I doubt this is what you wanted. :uhoh: Thanks anyway though.

@bludlust: hi :)

@Carol: good to have you aboard! I actually ate at a Brazilian restaurant called São Paulo just the other day (its one of my favorite places to eat). Karma :)
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:04 am

Hi Carol! Welcome.

(of Zeon)

bludlust
Developer

Postby bludlust » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:19 pm

@Carol: good to have you aboard! I actually ate at a Brazilian restaurant

It's 7:20 AM here and when I skimmed that sentence I read "I actually ate a Brazilian student."

Ask me why and I cannot tell you. I do not know. Regardless, it was ultimate.

Nice to meet you Carol.
Steven Perva

AIM: KCGBLuDLuST

MSN: sperva@gmail.com

E-Mail: sperva@gmail.com
etherstar
Contributor

Postby etherstar » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:48 am

Heya folks,

My name is Aaron Smith and I joined the project recently as a contributing programmer. I'm getting ready to graduate from college a second time, with a BA in Computer Science this time around. I've lived in Rhode Island my whole life, the smallest state in the USA. Besides gaming, I love game development, music/guitar, films, and reading. I'm looking forward to helping out and meeting a lot of great new people.
Maeglin Dubh

Postby Maeglin Dubh » Mon May 14, 2007 6:35 am

Maeglin Dubh, another RI resident here.

Came here based on a suggestion from your very own Jetryl, telling me you may need a dialogue writer. My primary experience with this sort of endeavour is as a moderator, or as we call it in Wesnoth, the Forum Sith.
VS

Postby VS » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:12 pm

Hello,
since I finally posted a bug report, I'll have to introduce myself :uhoh:

Vladimír Slávik, 20+ electrical engineering student from Brno, Czech Republic. I will probably translate Allacrost to Czech, once it's possible. I already translate Wesnoth and did some minor graphics, management and utility programming for Simutrans.
squidcat
Contributor

Postby squidcat » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:08 pm

Hello. My name's Jennifer, and I'm currently sleep-deprived. I do pixel art for fun, like tacking odd combinations of concepts together (like 'squid' and 'cat', for example - I'll have to pixel it later) and make fitful attempts at novel-writing every few months.

I've got quite a few creative hobbies, actually, but I know my strengths and they are pixellated.
Mag

Re: "Hi, my name is..." (Introduce yourself here!)

Postby Mag » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:59 am

Hello everyone, my name is Adam and I am a 22 year old computer science major attending Shepherd University. I'm in my third year here at Shepherd and plan to try my hand at game development when I graduate. Here is a list of different courses I have taken:

Intro to programming I & II (Java)
    Intro to C++
    Computer Graphics Programming(OGL)
    Computer Artificial Intelligence
    Programming and Data Structures(Java/C++)

That should be just about everything that is relevant. My campus doesn't stress C++ so I sink a lot of my free time reading and playing around with it and DirectX. I hope to help out in whatever small ways I can here and learn from some other more experienced coders. Anyway if you have any questions for me please feel free. Again hello and hope to see you all around!

Adam
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:06 am

Hey there Adam. Out of curiosity, what does your program stress instead of C++? (If you say Java or something else higher-level than C++, I'm going to have to say they made a bad choice...low level languages are what make the best programmers). I'm sure you'll be able to learn quite a bit here if you put the time into it. I've learned things I never knew existed prior to working here. :D
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:08 am

Hi Adam,

Your programs look very similar to mine (aside from the OGL). I know I learn most things in JAVA as well, so maybe it is quite natural for courses to offer JAVA for the first two years or so...?
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:37 am

Roots wrote:Hey there Adam. Out of curiosity, what does your program stress instead of C++? (If you say Java or something else higher-level than C++, I'm going to have to say they made a bad choice...low level languages are what make the best programmers). I'm sure you'll be able to learn quite a bit here if you put the time into it. I've learned things I never knew existed prior to working here. :D

Judging from the courses he listed, Java. A lot of CS programs seem to be going the pro-Java, anti-C++ route these days. My school stresses mainly Java with some C++ and straight C on the side. Conversely, I'm currently taking a computer engineering course (semi-mandatory for the CS types) where we study MIPS assembler. The prof for that class seems to like C over the object-oriented languages.

Seriously, yes, Java is easier to learn than C++, and yes, C++ is clearly a bastard child of an object-oriented language and a non-OO language. But in the real world, Java and other "truly object-oriented" languages suck for game development. They're too slow. C++ gives you the worst of both worlds and the best of both worlds, and often is the best tool for the job, at least in game development. It's practical even if not pretty.
Mag

Postby Mag » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:08 am

Roots wrote:Out of curiosity, what does your program stress instead of C++?

Java is definitely the king language of Shepherd if such a thing exists. They stress learning concepts and implementation and not necessarily mastery or even advanced techniques using programming languages. It's kind of a shame because at times I feel like a master of nothing so another reason I am here is to focus my free time into something more productive (and less lonely). You can actually graduate with a four year degree from here without having to learn anything other than Java -- I guess in the end it comes down to what the student makes of the opportunity of being in a learning environment. Needless to say one of the reasons I am here is to really get my hands dirty with a lot of code at once(something that also isn't covered in our classrooms) and to get very familiar with the C++ language.

With all of that out of the way I am very stubborn when it comes to learning new concepts and how things work. I don't give up easily and I ask a lot of questions, so I hope that doesn't scare any of you away! If you have any more questions for me please don't hesitate to ask.

Adam

Return to “General Chat”