2016 Site Upgrade

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

2016 Site Upgrade

Postby Roots » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:24 pm

Starting today, the website is going to be taken off-line as I do some major upgrades and improvements. We haven't had any non-content updates done to our site since 2008, believe it or not, and we're long overdue for a major upgrade. This is going to be a lot of work and is fairly risky as well, because I have to try and preserve our data while installing a fresh version of Drupal. I'm making backups everywhere I can, but this is a "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" type of situation.

In other words, our site may lose all of the years of updates and content we've added to it. I've saved the raw HTML of all the static pages so I can restore those in the worst case, but I'm not going to bother trying to restore news updates or blog posts if the upgrade fails. We may just have to start with a brand new site and add the content back in manually.

I'll also be taking a look at extensions and modules we can add to our install to enhance the site's functionality. I'd really like to see a commit feed from our repository, maybe a widget to openhub (which can be used to track the project's activity), and maybe even a feed from our IRC channel. We'll see what's out there and possible to do though. If you have any suggestions for things you'd like to see on the main site, please do share them. :hack:

There's definitely going to be some pain involved with this work, but users shouldn't be inconvenience any more than not being able to access the site for a while. Once the work is complete, I'm going to update all our static page content as well as it's severely out of date in several places. :heh:
Roots
Dictator

Re: 2016 Site Upgrade

Postby Roots » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Things were going smoother than I expected, but I learned that our server is running a PHP version that is too old to be supported by Drupal 8.x. Our host informed me a couple days ago about a big OS update they have planned for the future, and I've contacted our hosting service to see if a PHP upgrade will happen as well. If you access the front page of the site you'll be presented with an syntax error message.

I'm going to wait to see what our host responds with and decide what to do from there. I may upload a temporary static page to direct users to the wiki/forums/etc and display a notice about the site upgrade so people don't just get a weird error message.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:17 am

Our host is going to migrate our site to a different server with the latest software that we need for Drupal 8.x. No ETA on when this will happen yet, but I requested that it be done this week if possible. Hopefully the migration goes well and doesn't break the other things I've recently fixed and upgraded on the site. :heh:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:45 pm

Migration proceeded fine this morning and everything seems to be up and running alright. I got Drupal 8.x installed and I'm in the process of trying to pull in the content from the old site into the new one, then doing some minimal configuration on the site. It may take me a few days before the site is back up and operational.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:36 am

Update
I successfully migrated the content from the old site to the new one, which is great. :approve: The only thing we lost were the blog posts, but there weren't that many of them and they weren't terribly important. (I could manually pull them back if I really wanted to, but I think I'll just not have a blog on the site anymore). I also deleted 115,000+ spam accounts that were registered on our old site. Apparently we turned off commenting on the old site, but not account creation so spammers have been making accounts for years. :heh: :uhoh:

So what's next? Well, obviously the site looks pretty ugly right now. I'm going to first see about getting a look and feel that is more along the lines of the design of this project. Once that is done, I'm going to go through all of our static pages and add/update/delete where necessary. And finally I'm going to try to put some more informational content on the main page, such as a commit log from our main repository and perhaps an activity graph. Those are definitely nice-to-have, but if they take too much time/effort to do I'll probably just skip them.

All of this should be happening over the course of the next few weeks. In addition to working on the site, I've also been busy with adding a couple features we need in map mode, and working on map design and scripting.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:45 am

I've been neglecting my work on the site in the last few weeks as I've been working on the game itself instead. I finally did a few updates today, but unfortunately in the process of updating our drupal version with security fixes the wiki seems to not be working correctly. Just a heads up that I'm aware of it and I'll fix it when I am able to (hopefully not longer than a couple days).

EDIT: Wiki is back up again. Not sure how I fixed it though. :heh:

Return to “Online Services”