Drupal Administration Lock-out

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Gallivan
Team Manager

Drupal Administration Lock-out

Postby Gallivan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:30 pm

I don't know if Roots has asked anyone to look at this, but I figured I would post just in case.

When logging in on the website to post comments (or administer, post news, etc.) it would seem that Drupal forgets the logged in user on a page switch.

I think the problem is best described here:

http://drupal.org/node/102114

I'm not sure how to go about upgrading the CMS, I've never worked with Drupal or any like CMS before, but I don't think it's too complex.

If DWonderly or any other Drupal experts read this maybe you could look into this over the weekend? I can't until midterms are over (Friday) but once they are I can read up on it and try it - if no one has a better understanding of it.

Thanks,
Matt
Roots
Dictator

Re: Drupal Administration Lock-out

Postby Roots » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:33 pm

Yeah this problem has prevented me from updating the site and making that crucial programmers needed post. I think the recommended solution for this problem was to simply upgrade drupal. I might take a look into it tonight if I have time and if no one else volunteers to try to solve this issue. It really is important that we get this fixed *soon*
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Drupal 6.0 was released yesterday::: http://drupal.org/drupal-6.0

This looks to be good timing for us. Lets go ahead and do the full upgrade since we're already needing to mess around with this. If we're running on a version of Drupal earlier than 5.x though, first we need to upgrade to 5.x then upgrade to 6.0.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:49 pm

I'll delve into this tonight, I have a good bit of time.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:14 pm

How did this work out?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:47 pm

Don't know if anything changed or not, but I'm still unable to access the admin panel. :( We really need to get this fixed and make a news post. We haven't posted any updates on the site in a while, and we need to let people know about our state and our coder crisis.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:23 pm

gorzuate wrote:How did this work out?

Sorry, I didn't see this reply.

I looked through the FTP and text files - is our Drupal version 4.7? Sorry I haven't done anything noticeable, I'm just being as cautious as possible because I really don't want to affect anything.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:18 pm

I think I got it to work, it certainly remembers my log in session now.

This was the modification in index.php:
drupal_page_footer();
$GLOBALS['tempUser'] = $user;
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:00 pm

I'm in, awesome!!! :D Excellent work Matt. :approve: I'll be making a post tonight, and also putting up chapter 1 of the story on the site.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:03 am

Its happening again! :axe: When I posted the story tonight, at first everything was working okay. Then after I tried to submit the news article it said I didn't have access. So I had to go and login again and then it let me post the page. But I only get admin access for -one- page. So to go to the admin panel, I need to login. Then to edit a page, I need to login again. To submit the changes to that page, I need to login yet again. :bang: We really should update drupal to the latest version, because this is just a ridiculous problem to have.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:00 am

The problem being others have reported it in updated versions as well. :(
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:35 am

I vote to shit-can drupal altogether. :disapprove:

If I were setting up the allacrost site; I'd have three things:
1] Wordpress or Moveable Type to drive the main page "Blog".
2] Locked wiki pages for all the other "main page items", such as the art gallery, screenshots, music, executable downloads, story, credits, etc. (It's assumed that, just like now, all the "media files" would be hosted on the ftp.)
3] Possibly one or two static html pages for filling out forms, or the irc thingie.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:33 pm

Jetryl wrote:I vote to shit-can drupal altogether. :disapprove:

If I were setting up the allacrost site; I'd have three things:
1] Wordpress or Moveable Type to drive the main page "Blog".
2] Locked wiki pages for all the other "main page items", such as the art gallery, screenshots, music, executable downloads, story, credits, etc. (It's assumed that, just like now, all the "media files" would be hosted on the ftp.)
3] Possibly one or two static html pages for filling out forms, or the irc thingie.

I absolutely disagree. This is the only problem we've had with Drupal (besides getting the Allacrost theme to work correctly with it...but we haven't really had any web designers around in the last year to work on that). Switching to another CMS is going to do much more harm than good right now, as we'll have to migrate everything, modify the theme, etc. It creates a ton of work. There are a lot of professional sites out there that use Drupal, and its one of the best and most popular CMS' out there. I honestly don't buy that there is "no solution" for this problem. Pop on the drupal forums or IRC channel and ask around, and I'm sure we'll find a good solution.

Oh and BTW, I still think we should upgrade our Drupal version. There's really no reason not to do so.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:27 pm

I agree with Roots. Dropping Drupal for something else is too much work, especially since this is just an annoyance. If someone can find the time to update Drupal, please do.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Ok, I'll find the necessary files for upgrading it then. I don't think it's hard - I just wanted to make sure you knew that upgrading might not be the fix. Nevertheless, I am sure there are other benefits; especially considering we are quite a few versions behind.

Return to “Online Services”