Subversion Commit Log

For discussion of the code running behind the game

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Subversion Commit Log

Postby Roots » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 pm

This topic is now locked as the code has migrated from subversion on sourceforge.net to mercurial on bitbucket.org. The subversion repository on sourceforge is no longer writable.

About this thread

The main purpose of this thread is for programmers to announce when they have committed a change to the subversion repository. It is also used as a discussion forum for any problems or issues of recent commits.

(For reference, the previous commit log thread can be found here: http://www.allacrost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=348)

Ways to track commit activity

Thread Usage Guidelines
  • You must use this thread if you are making significant commits to subversion. It is not optional.
  • Very minor commits do not need to be logged. Use your best judgment to determine if a commit should be logged in here or not.
  • Follow the commit template (found below this list)
  • Keep conversations in this thread to a minimum. The thread should be filled with commit messages, not dialogs.
  • Limit conversations to issues about recent commits (e.g., commit #1429 caused a crash on Windows).

Commit post template

Code: Select all

[b]Committed revision #????.[/b]
============================================================
[b]Files Added[/b]
[list]
[*]
[/list]

[b]Files Modified[/b]
[list]
[*]
[/list]

[b]Files Deleted[/b]
[list]
[*]
[/list]

[b]Primary Changes[/b]
[list]
[*]
[/list]

[b]Secondary Changes[/b]
[list]
[*]
[/list]

[b]Known Bugs[/b]
[list]
[*]
[/list]

[b]Miscellaneous Notes[/b]
[list]
[*]
[/list]

Explanation About Commit Template
All categories in the commit template are optional. If a category is not relevant to your commit, omit it from your post. If something is not worth mentioning, don't mention it. For file lists you can just copy/paste the output of your subversion client (you don't have to follow the phpBB bulleted list formatting).

• Files Added
    List all new files added to the repository through this commit. This includes renamed files. Do not omit this category if you have new files in your commit.
  • Files Modified
    List all modified files through this commit. You may choose to omit this category if you do not think this information is relevant for others to know about your commit.
  • Files Deleted
    List all modified files removed through this commit. Do not omit this category if you have removed files in your commit.commit.
  • Primary Changes
    List all major changes in your commit. If your commit only includes minor changes, omit this category and fill out only secondary changes.
  • Secondary Changes
    List all minor changes in your commit. Most larger commits include both primary and secondary changes
  • Known Bugs
    List any bugs you believe were either introduced in this commit, or new problems that you have observed since your last commit. Do not re-report previously known issues unless there is new behavior. Link to issues in the [url="http://bugs.allacrost.org"]bug tracker[/url] when appropriate.
  • Miscellaneous Notes
    List any other notes you would like to make about this commit or its potential impact on others.

Example Commit Post

Committed revision #1337.
Files Modified
M src/engine/audio/audio.cpp
M src/modes/battle/battle.h
M src/modes/battle/battle.cpp

Primary Changes
  • Added support for multiple enemy fighters in battles
  • [BUG FIX] Fixed choppy audio playback

Secondary Changes
  • Cleaned up audio header files

Known Bugs
  • Battle mode crashes at defeat screen

Miscellaneous Notes
  • Multiple enemies in battle still needs more testing before I'll feel comfortable that this feature is complete
  • Next commit I'll be working on fixing the menu display in battle mode
Roots
Dictator

Re: Subversion Commit Log

Postby Roots » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:56 am

Committed reversion #1425.
Files Modified
M src/modes/map/map.cpp
M src/modes/map/map.h
M src/modes/map/map_sprites.cpp
M src/modes/map/map_dialogue.cpp
M src/modes/map/map_sprites.h
M src/modes/map/map_dialogue.h
M src/modes/map/map_actions.cpp
M src/defs.h
M dat/maps/demo_town.lua

Primary Changes
  • Map dialogue code improved to be easier to maintain and extend

Secondary Changes
  • Partial clean up of map sprite files

Known Bugs
  • For Laila's dialogue, the option selection list overlaps with her question text (because the question is too long with the new system).

Miscellaneous Notes
  • Next I'll be cleaning up the map sprite code
  • After that I will change the way sprites and dialogues interact, so that dialogues are stored in a central location and referenced to by sprites, rather than store the dialogues within the sprites themselves.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:42 pm

Committed reversion #1426.
Files Modified
M src/modes/defs_modes.cpp
M src/modes/map/map.cpp
M src/modes/map/map_tiles.cpp
M src/modes/map/map.h
M src/defs.h
M dat/maps/demo_cave.lua
M dat/maps/demo_town.lua

Primary Changes
  • Map dialogue code improved to be easier to maintain and extend (yes, again....this time its much better)
  • Cleaned up the virtual sprite class by placing data/methods relating to things like name and dialogue in the MapSprite class instead

Secondary Changes
  • [BUG FIX] Fixed a warning message in map tile loading code about a missing Lua table

Known Bugs
  • For Laila's dialogue, the option selection list overlaps with her question text (because the question is too long with the new system).

Miscellaneous Notes
  • This is part one of a two (or possibly three) part commit on changing the way dialogues are handled and cleaning up the sprite code
Winter Knight
Contributor

Postby Winter Knight » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:45 am

Committed reversion 1427 + 1428.
Files Modified:

* src/engine/input.*
* src/modes/boot/boot.*
* src/editor/grid.cpp

Primary Changes:
* Added an option to change the Joystick axes.
* All OSes, not just Windows, now use the shorter, simpler, more compatible code to store before_text and after_text in Grid::SaveMap(). I removed the older code that was used for Linux and Mac OS X in the recent release.
Last edited by Winter Knight on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter Knight
Contributor

Postby Winter Knight » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:50 pm

Committed reversion #1429
Files Modified:

* src/main.cpp
* src/modes/boot/boot.cpp

Primary changes:
* Fixed some minor bugs in the key, joy button and joy axes setting menus. It was confusingly permissive in what it allowed the player to do.
* Allacrost now sets the window icon!

Misc notes:
* SDL requires that the window icon be set after video is initialized, and before the video mode is set. If it is set after the video mode, then it has no effect (previous behavior). If it is set before the video is initialized, it will segfault. Our porridge is no longer too cold, nor is it too hot. It is just right.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:38 am

Thought I should give you guys an update so you know I'm not slacking off. ;) I've gotten big, big changes in the map code coming. Its all related to dialogues and sprites and the relationship between the two. I just now got map mode partially function again, but I have some big bugs to work out. Dialogue bubbles don't appear anymore and I can't speak to anyone, plus for some reason the map seems *a lot* more jumpy than it was before (which is hard for me to explain since I haven't touched that part of the code barely at all). I might commit this code partially broken, or I might wait a few more days to see if I can fix everything up. Depends on how the debugging goes.
prophile

Postby prophile » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Committed revision 1435.
Files Modified
  • src/engine/video/image.cpp
  • src/engine/video/image_base.cpp

Primary Changes
  • Added documentation to the functions that use libpng and libjpeg, as per the Doxygen to-do list
Alastair Lynn / Resident Whinger / Allacrost
prophile

Postby prophile » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:33 pm

Committed reversion 1436.
Files Modified
  • src/engine/audio/audio_input.cpp
  • src/engine/audio/audio_input.h

Primary Changes
  • Added a copy constructor and operator= to AudioMemory as per the Doxygen to-do list.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:40 pm

I actually don't use doxygen's /todo tag very often in my own code personally, usually because my todo's are embedded within the source code where we don't use doxygen documentation. If you really want a long list of todo's, I suggest you grep for "TODO" for all source files. You'll get a huge list I'm sure :)
prophile

Postby prophile » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Joy of joys. For Xenos, I have a script which greps for todos and todo.txt files, and I tend to use that.

*dives into more code*
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:05 pm

Excellent. :D I would avoid messing around in any todo's for the map code for the next couple of days though. I've got a very large commit of map mode coming soon which fixes some of those todos and creates a lot more. :angel:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:13 am

Committed reversion #1437.
Files Modified
M src/engine/system.cpp
M src/modes/map/map.cpp
M src/modes/map/map_tiles.cpp
M src/modes/map/map.h
M src/modes/map/map_objects.cpp
M src/modes/map/map_objects.h
M dat/maps/demo_cave.lua
M dat/maps/demo_town.lua

Primary Changes
  • Dialogues are now contained within the dialogue supervisor class, not the MapSprite class
  • The way dialogues are managed and processed by the dialogue supervisor have been improved
  • Some dialogue code was moved out of map.cpp and map_sprites.cpp and placed within the dialogue supervisor
  • Map sprite dialogue code is now very minimal. All sprites have to do is add references to the dialogues they intend to use, and the dialogue supervisor takes care of the rest
  • Sprite code was cleaned up somewhat (still needs more work). Names, dialogues, portraits are now only a part of map sprites, not all sprites.
  • The map files are now changed drastically in their load functions. We keep tables of all lines of dialogue and reference those tables when constructing the dialogue objects

Secondary Changes
  • Removed unnecessary dependency of system engine on the global code

Miscellaneous Notes
  • I was having trouble accessing the dialogue supervisor instance of map mode in the map script's loading function. The only way I could get it to work was to pass a pointer to it as an argument to the map script's load function. I still need to look into this because I think it should be possible to just grab a pointer to the dialogue supervisor from the map mode object that's passed to the function
  • I'm still not completely satisfied with the dialogue code, but I think it should easily suite our needs for now. Certainly for this next release.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:20 am

Committed reversion 1438 & 1439.
Files Modified
  • src/map_options.cpp

Primary Changes
  • OS X 10.4 passes an option now (-psn_PID) to the game, probably due to some change with the SDLmain stuff. The options parsing code was updated to ignore this option. Commits made to both the trunk and the tagged demo release.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:29 am

Committed reversion #1440.
Files Modified
M src/engine/video/video.cpp
M src/modes/map/map.cpp
M src/modes/map/map.h

Primary Changes

Known Bugs
  • Sprites still have a duplicate pixel row/column problem. This is most notable when moving diagonally I think.

Miscellaneous Notes
I really would appreciate some feedback on the fix for this commit. It may not be visibly different from the last commit (I had a hard time telling if it was or not). At the least this implementation is better than the previous one, which was a messy hack. Okay, so here's what you can do to help. Focus only on if tile drawings are correct please, not map objects/sprites (I'm pretty sure those still have problems, feel free to confirm with me on that).

1. Grab the test tileset image in the bug thread: http://bugs.allacrost.org/view.php?id=51 and replace all "mountain*" tilesets with it (the filenames need to stay the same, but the images themselves need to be this test tileset)
2. Boot up and walk around the town map. Look for anything that looks incorrect, like duplicate rows or columns of pixels.
3. Now go to the cave map and take a look around at a "real" map. See if you notice anything incorrect with the tiles there.

If you want to go the extra mile, compile Allacrost twice, one for commit #1440, and one for commit #1439. Repeat the test for each of the two executables and see if you can tell if there are any differences between the two.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:20 am

:( That doesn't fix the bug.

What's different now is that the duplicated columns/rows don't move around. They stay in fixed positions on the screen. But I swear - it's like the tiles themselves are being copied to a final size on the screen which is not 32x32. Alternately, something else that might cause it is that their position might not be exactly on a pixel-boundary; it might be offset by a fraction of a pixel.

I suspect this has to do with floating-point variables being handled differently on different architectures or operating systems. IIRC, you determine the position of the tiles using a float from 0.0-1.0. This might be acting (slightly) differently on a mac. It could be something else entirely, I don't know.

Here's a test image, and a test tileset:
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jet ... -issue.png
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jet ... ground.png

Remember:
- Don't worry about green/magenta flicker patterns when moving; that's an artifact of LCD technology, and we don't need to fix that (because we'll never actually have patterns like this test image in-game). The bug should be visible when standing still, in any position.
- This bug might not be visible on your machine. I know it's never manifested itself on windows.
- I can be on IRC to do "quick-turnaround" tests of any hypotheses you have about fixing this; that should hopefully alleviate the issue of you not being able to manifest the problem on your machine.
prophile

Postby prophile » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:52 pm

Committed reversion 1442.
Files Modified
  • HoA.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
  • src/SDLMain.m
  • src/main_options.cpp

Primary Changes
  • Moved Carbon process serial number handling to SDLMain, where it's probably more appropriate

Secondary Changes
  • Removed libSystem.dylib from copying. It's provided with Mac OS X, folks!
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:39 am

Committed reversion #1444.
Files Modified
M src/modes/map/map.cpp

Primary Changes
  • Map objects are now drawn pixel perfect (previously we would sometimes get duplicate pixel columns)

Known Bugs
  • I think there is still some small "jumping" when moving across the map. Its hard for me to tell, but I think its there. Can someone confirm this for me?

Miscellaneous Notes
I solved this draw bug in the exact same way that I solved the one with the map tiles, by aligning the map object image to a pixel boundary before drawing it.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:22 am

Committed reversion #1447.
Files Modified
M src/modes/map/map.h

Primary Changes
  • Map mode is now "zoomed in" and we're testing how we like this new perspective

Known Bugs
  • Treasure chests are too small in this zoom. Its a bug that's easy to fix, I just didn't get around to it for this commit.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:28 pm

Committed reversion #1450.
Files Added
A src/modes/map/map_events.cpp
A src/modes/map/map_events.h

Files Modified
M src/modes/map/map.cpp
M src/modes/map/map.h
M src/defs.h
M Makefile.am

Primary Changes
  • Map mode now has preliminary support for events. A new helper class to MapMode, EventSupervisor, handles all of this functionality.

Miscellaneous Notes
  • The different forms of Event classes have not yet been written, but the abstract MapEvent class ant he EventSupervisor class are complete in this commit
  • This code has not yet been tested, and won't be until some more work on event support is added
  • Later today or tomorrow, I'll update the documentation for map mode to discuss events and how they work, and then post on the forums about it so that everyone can learn from it
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:34 pm

Committed reversion #1451.
Files Modified
M src/utils.h
M src/modes/map/map_events.cpp
M src/modes/map/map_events.h
M src/modes/map/map.cpp
M src/modes/map/map.h
M src/modes/map/map_treasure.cpp
M src/modes/map/map_treasure.h
M src/defs.h

Primary Changes
  • Map mode now has a state stack

Secondary Changes
  • Map event functions are now all protected (only EventSupervisor class can call them)
  • Map event functions renamed, now called _Start() and _Update()
  • TreasureMenu class now called TreasureSupervisor to maintain naming consistency in map code
  • Removed useless _time_elapsed member from MapMode class (now just call SystemManager->GetUpdateTime())
  • Added a new macro in utils called ERROR_AND_ABORT, and removed the PRINT_ERROR macro

Return to “Programming”